Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
Anytime someone says "is pretty common these days" that usually means "Our parents generation had it all the time, but people actually parented back then. These days, we let doctors do that instead."

In other words, they shouldn't even be in OT in the first place. The parent could just spend more time with their kids and then they could control what they say to their kid.
You seem to have lots of opinions on this subject, yet seem to know nothing about it. Your advice is not helpful and does not address the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
Why does everyone want her to talk to the supervisor for?

What is the supervisor going to do? They probably hired the person and if they did, I'm sure they know the person talks that way.
Right. Because the OT probably called a kid weird during her interview

Old 12-21-2017, 10:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
It is derived from classic Battlestar Galactica, "The Living Legend" where Adama is laying down the law to Caine.

"That is one opinion, Commander; it does not happen to be mine."

It's a more forceful version of "That is what makes horse races.".
That one went over my head. I think it might go over the OT's as well.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I do not understand why so many people want to go directly to the supervisor without even talking to the OT herself. It sounds like, other than this, she's a good OT. The child likes her.

For the nth time, I do not think the OT should have said the child was "weird". However, I've heard worse. There was a new young doctor at my office who used the word "retarded" in the colloquial manner when she first started working there. I have a feeling she was "counseled" to stop it.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:29 PM

426 posts, read 362,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Some people use the word "weird" affectionately.

But why do you have to ask us? Why didn't you immediately say, "Excuse me, but that's not a very professional way to talk" or "What exactly do you mean, weird?"

Because the average person these days is so heavily dependent on "experts" opinions that they cannot even hold a basic conversation without an "expert" on hand to consult them 24/7.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Occupational therapists are similar to physical therapists. They are highly educated and trained, and they work in a health care setting. There is no excuse for someone with that kind of background, in that profession to call a child "weird."

This reminds me of the example where someone immediately needs to borrow $100 and a rich friend is with them that only is carrying $20 and the other person whines that a rich person only lent him $20.

You only can act on what you have. If the person is weird, the OT should call them weird. How smart the OT is does not change how weird the kid is.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
You seem to have lots of opinions on this subject, yet seem to know nothing about it. Your advice is not helpful and does not address the issue.

I know about almost everything. My advice is helpful. There is no issue.

Either the kid is weird and accept that other people are going to notice or the kid is not weird, but the kid likes the OP, so who cares if they said 1 word you don't like.

There's really nothing else to this topic.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Right. Because the OT probably called a kid weird during her interview

They probably asked a question of "What's more important? Fixing OT issues or being honest?"

If they answered honest and still hired them, there's no basis to change anything now.

You don't change your mind because a parent whines their little cupcake was criticized.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I do not understand why so many people want to go directly to the supervisor without even talking to the OT herself. It sounds like, other than this, she's a good OT. The child likes her.

For the nth time, I do not think the OT should have said the child was "weird". However, I've heard worse. There was a new young doctor at my office who used the word "retarded" in the colloquial manner when she first started working there. I have a feeling she was "counseled" to stop it.

Where the people she was talking about actually retarded?

Old 12-21-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That one went over my head. I think it might go over the OT's as well.

It doesn't take much to go over an OT's head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting