U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 09:42 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times

Advertisements

From my long life history, I always had more in common with females than males. I enjoy male friends and over my years of dating, men had their motives. I would have so enjoyed having a gay friend(s) to hang and talk with and nothing sexual.

I prefer a female MD vs male for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 10:27 PM

6,433 posts, read 2,340,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
As long as they're good boys with similar values as your family, and you like them, then I don't see anything wrong with it. Girls can be catty and clickish.
I agree. Girls tend to become more overly involved with cliques, more so than boys can. I know people are going to get mad and say that's a stereotype, but there are definitely differences in how the two genders socialize. Currently, my daughter's best friend is a boy, but I think that will change as she gets older. She's already started to make other friends and this kid has started to feel left out. I feel sad for him but think he needs to work on developing other friendships; my daughter feels its a burden for her to be his only friend right now.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:40 PM

426 posts, read 140,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I agree. Girls tend to become more overly involved with cliques, more so than boys can. I know people are going to get mad and say that's a stereotype, but there are definitely differences in how the two genders socialize. Currently, my daughter's best friend is a boy, but I think that will change as she gets older. She's already started to make other friends and this kid has started to feel left out. I feel sad for him but think he needs to work on developing other friendships; my daughter feels its a burden for her to be his only friend right now.

How old are your kids?

Why can't she include the boy with her other friends?

Old 12-21-2017, 08:11 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,624,127 times
My personal experience is that girls with a preponderance of male friends have a hard time adjusting to a truly monogamous relationship or married life. These 'semi-platonic' friends usually feel free to give/receive back rubs, hugs, flirtatious smacks or other similar contact, foot rubs, watch movies, be a shoulder to cry on, someone to share confidences with, go out to dinner, etc., etc., that a true boyfriend/husband will not often find acceptable or amusing.

YMMV...

Old 12-21-2017, 08:13 AM

3,271 posts, read 5,888,862 times
Not at all. If your daughter clicks with boys more than girls, that's her prerogative. Like someone said, she may want to examine their motives because sometimes, boys gravitate towards girls for sexual reasons.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:33 AM

647 posts, read 228,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
My personal experience is that girls with a preponderance of male friends have a hard time adjusting to a truly monogamous relationship or married life.
I don't get most people, and when I was younger I liked sports, so I hung out with the boys for the most part - playing street hockey and basketball and whatnot as a kid, and playing adult sports now.

I have only clicked with a few women in my life, but have been with my husband for 25 years. I was never "semi-platonic" with the boys, though. Many assumed I was gay when we first met, actually. First time I heard that was in junior high. I wasn't boy crazy, and didn't talk about boys like that.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:51 AM

9,808 posts, read 15,900,383 times
Look at the quality of the friends, not their gender. If her friends get good grades, have high expectations and have good behavior count yourself blessed.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:45 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,294,609 times
I had far more guy friends than girls at her age. It wasnít until I became a mom that the tides turned on that one. Girls were so much drama and I didnít care about girly stuff but loved rock climbing and backpacking and sports. I honestly wouldnít worry about it.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:35 PM

172 posts, read 80,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennetha View Post
I have a 15 year old and she does well in school and is very smart/intelligent and is overall happy, but one thing that bothers me is her lack of girlfriends. She does have one that she spends time with, but she also has more guy friends that she does stuff with as well. When I have talked with her she just says she likes hanging out with guys more. Would that concern you? I have met the boys and they do seem nice.
It depends. What are the friends like?
Iíve always thought it good to have girl friends. It seems so popular to hate anything stereotypically girly. I would gently encourage her to be accepting of others but not force friendships for genders sake.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:58 PM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
778 posts, read 224,082 times
She's a girl with lots of male friends. So? Let her have it.

I'm a guy who at that age had many friends who were girls. That's how it works out sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or