U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2017, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
27,617 posts, read 44,547,785 times
Reputation: 18798

Advertisements

An Ohio couple brought Christmas cheer to their son's teachers by gifting them bottles of wine bearing photos of "the reason you drink" -- their son.

Mary and Paul Sommers of Beavercreek had special labels printed bearing the image of their son, eighth-grader Jake, and affixed them to the bottles of wine they gave his teachers at Ascension School in Kettering.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/12...&utm_medium=12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2017, 08:16 AM
 
1,246 posts, read 831,929 times
Reputation: 3843
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
An Ohio couple brought Christmas cheer to their son's teachers by gifting them bottles of wine bearing photos of "the reason you drink" -- their son.

Mary and Paul Sommers of Beavercreek had special labels printed bearing the image of their son, eighth-grader Jake, and affixed them to the bottles of wine they gave his teachers at Ascension School in Kettering.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/12...&utm_medium=12
Thanks for the alert. It's just a joke those types of labels have been around for a long time. They are also available for cigars, cigarettes, other types of alcohol, gourmet cookies etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 10:33 AM
 
9,226 posts, read 5,309,175 times
Reputation: 20553
You cant bring alcohol on school property ...at least not where I have lived. My son's 3rd grade teacher and I were chatting once and I joked asking how many bottles of liquor did she get from parents around the holidays. She told me she actually got a box of wine from an international couple and she freaked out (they just left it on her desk when she wasn't in the room) because she would have been seriously in deep poop if admin found out.

So funny "haha" idea...best be careful about your school rules if you choose this sort of gift.

I know...I am often thought of as overly sensitive. I get the joke...seen the memes on social media. And laughed. I just think to actually do this, esp with a kid who is older is kind of rude and sends a message to the kid that reinforces they are bad, obnoxious, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis
8,639 posts, read 5,283,252 times
Reputation: 15137
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
You cant bring alcohol on school property ...at least not where I have lived. My son's 3rd grade teacher and I were chatting once and I joked asking how many bottles of liquor did she get from parents around the holidays. She told me she actually got a box of wine from an international couple and she freaked out (they just left it on her desk when she wasn't in the room) because she would have been seriously in deep poop if admin found out.
This was at a Catholic school, so they probably don't have the zero tolerance policy that most public schools have. As long as it remains unopened, I doubt there would be a problem.

I'd feel awkward though if one of my students brought that in, I'd want to reassure them that they're a great student. I'd also feel weird accepting an alcoholic gift from a child. I'm glad I just got backed goods, candles and gift cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 02:19 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
31,059 posts, read 38,850,758 times
Reputation: 50013
Finally, a gift that a teacher can really use. The gift was from the parents to an adult. In my view this is perfectly acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 02:43 PM
 
786 posts, read 564,526 times
Reputation: 1539
What a tacky gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 03:05 PM
 
12,498 posts, read 18,333,235 times
Reputation: 31192
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Finally, a gift that a teacher can really use. The gift was from the parents to an adult. In my view this is perfectly acceptable.
The several teachers in my world, and me, agree. The labels were cute, I guess, but I'm not sure reinforcing the impression your kid is a pain in the butt is smart. It's too close to giving the kid's behavior a thumb's up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Ft. Myers
11,945 posts, read 7,588,709 times
Reputation: 28496
That is pretty funny, actually !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 07:35 PM
 
2,659 posts, read 2,325,599 times
Reputation: 7423
I wouldn't have done that myself, but would laugh at another parent doing it. Sure, not a safe gift and maybe not really a legal one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2017, 08:45 AM
 
1,911 posts, read 878,782 times
Reputation: 1849
I love it and have done it with family but wouldn’t bring alcohol on school grounds. We have done the same thing but with coffeee and said my child is the reason you need that extra cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top