U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 07:53 AM

1,319 posts, read 603,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't generally deliver it, but yeah, we've gotten into a habit of my mom coming over for dinner every week or so, and then she leaves with leftovers for another meal. We don't go out to eat together anywhere near as often as I've been cooking lately!
He lives two doors away, so delivering isn't a problem. We make sure he's got enough for a couple of days worth of meals (we always cook too much food, part of coming from a large family!). We almost never go out to eat and if we do, it's for lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 08:12 AM

1,520 posts, read 615,764 times
Usually I pay, mainly because I have more disposable income. lol

My sons are just starting out after finishing college and starting their first very low paying jobs. **smile***

Hopefully when they have kids, they'll treat them.

They always pick up the tab on my birthday and Mothers day.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:59 AM

2,162 posts, read 1,500,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We eat out frequently with my in-laws, and who pays generally depends on who invited whom. Often we'll pick up the tab; other times they say "this is on us." It all evens out in the end and no one is keeping score.
This

Old 12-27-2017, 09:51 AM

23,993 posts, read 27,479,909 times
I don't see what's "shocking" about it. A meal is a small expense in the grand scheme. We tend to trade off, but our parents always offer to pay. Both my parents and my husband's parents bring in more money than we do, and have fewer expenses.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:55 AM

14,410 posts, read 15,200,380 times
My parents always insisted on paying for us when we went out to dinner, even when they were retired and we were working. For them I think it was a matter of nurturing and pride. I imagine we'll do the same for our daughter.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:00 AM

4,578 posts, read 3,208,667 times
We pay when we invite our adult kids/spouse/child out for supper. We love enjoying a social outing with our kids and we are very close to them. Footing the bill works for us but if we weren't in decent financial shape, we either wouldn't take them out often or we'd split the bill or take turns.

If we have them to our house for supper, my DIL will offer to bring a dish of something or ask what I'd like her to bring.
Vice-versa the other way.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:15 AM

12,308 posts, read 9,407,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
A very successful friend of mine is married with child (40's). Her father lives a more modest life but always pays for the family’s meals. I have other friends who are in their mid-30s who also let the parents pay for meals (his and her parents.)

I’m shocked at this behavior. My father is retired in his 70’s and has done ok, above average but not early retirement or anything. He comes to visit twice a year for a week at a time. When he does he pays for nothing (including meals.) I cant remember how long I've footed the bill for my parents but its been a long time, probably since my mid 20's

I moved out of my parents’ house at 18 and never looked back. My friends mentioned above were both sent away to college (Parents paid for everything.) Is that the difference?

How does it work with your family?
Been paying for my own meals since I was 16. I got my first job at 16 so that's when I started paying for myself. Once in a blue moon, my parents will pay for dinner. It's usually because they're staying at our house and it's their way of paying us back/thanking us. But as an adult in my 40's, I would never want my parents to pay for me. I'm an adult for crying out loud.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:21 AM

3,968 posts, read 1,646,983 times
If I am the Hostess (person who offered to invite others out), I pay. If I am the guest, They often pay.

I do often consider those with hardships and will do my utmost to regard their challenged budget. In which case I offer to assist on the receipt. Most times ppl are gracious.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:57 PM

47,101 posts, read 47,099,131 times
Sometimes my mom, who is 89, insists on paying. Sometimes I insist on paying. It makes her feel good to treat me to lunch, so I let her, but other times I want to treat her.

My daughter, on the other hand, always lets me treat her, lol. She is a student, though, and her income is low, so I don't mind.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:47 PM

6,527 posts, read 4,788,684 times
We've always paid for our children and grandchildren AND my 94 year old Mother In Law (Thank God we can)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or