U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 09:11 PM

62 posts, read 19,647 times

Advertisements

There are times where maybe if we needed my parents would swing by and grab us something from a restaurant and bring it to us once in a while. Maybe there was some food they got stuck with that they don't eat, still packaged, and offer it to us to take home. Usually, if they invite us to dine out with them, they like to be able to pay for the food. We've stolen the check a few times and paid for it since they don't like to make us pay for their meal as well. I think my husband has requested to split the bill once or twice so they only needed to pay for their own. It seems to go back and forth a lot. This isn't a weekly event, usually a once a month or every few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:31 AM

1,402 posts, read 2,125,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
We trade off. Sometimes we pay, sometimes the parents pay, sometimes we split.

My grandfather would have rather you shot him in the face than pay for your own meal. He had this very strong idea about being the patriarch, and that he should pay for "the family" when we were all out together.

One year my husband secretly got the waitress to bring our check to him, and he paid without my grandfather knowing it, and he got SOOOOOOO mad at us.

We never tried that again LOL.
Haha, this is my family, except we fight to see who can get ahold of the check first. All fun. I've had times where the whole family has gone out and I've caught the waitress across the building to tell her to give me the check. Was quite funny when she snuck it to me, I paid it and signed it before anyone realized I'd done it. The look on my Dads and Gramps face was totally worth the BS I caught afterwards. I still remember the first time my wife and I (when dating) went out with my parents and her Dad together. We sat and watched the show as her Dad and mine fought over the check.

That said, when my Dad and I go out, we trade off pretty regularly. If it's both my parents and us, pretty much the same. If I go out with my Gramps I gotta be quick to get the check otherwise I'll never even have a chance, but he's always been one to take care of everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting