U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 05:49 PM

4,676 posts, read 1,645,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Have you looked at different girl scout troops? They're all run differently based on the troop leader, parents, and girls in the troop. My girl scout troop was never big into cookie sales. We did the door to door/family/friends sales for about 2 weeks in January, but then that was it. We were asked each year if we wanted to do a cookie booth, but no one ever wanted to. There was never any pressure to sell a certain amount of cookies, and we still did a lot of fun things throughout the year.
I might start one of my own that doesn't sell cookies. Or as an alternative, I would Juliette my scout, meaning that we do the activities to earn badges on our own, but also send her to Girl Scout camp so she could get some time with other girls. I'm just kicking around ideas right now.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:50 PM

5,254 posts, read 2,717,421 times
You need to talk to some actual AHG member, not rumors on the internet. We don't have a child in AHG, but do know some of the members and leaders. No wackos among them. Just a diverse group of parents trying to provide opportunities for their kids.

Or another possible alternative is Boy Scouts are starting to open up female Cub Scouts Packs. And before people freak, it's to provide an opportunity for girls to do a different form of scouting than that offered by Girl Scouts. It and AHG are not an indictment against Girl Scouts, but rather a recognition that every girl is different and wants different things.

Also, within Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts for that matter, consider looking at different troops. Each has it's own culture that comes from the kids and parents in that unit based on what they want to do.

But please, whether Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, or AHG, talk to local members where you are, not internet rumors.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:58 PM

4,419 posts, read 1,837,457 times
From the AHG website:

“Spiritual Development

AHG exists to help girls learn more about God, about how to walk in faith, and the need to seek God’s will in our lives. Our hope is that each and every girl will experience the Lord in all parts of AHG -- the Oath, friends, Leaders, through service, Religious Recognitions programs, and even Badge work! AHG helps girls to live their lives for God!

AHG is proud to work with the Programs of Religious Activities with Youth (P.R.A.Y. ) organization and the National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry (N.F.C.Y.M. ), in order to offer every American Heritage Girl the opportunity to earn a religious award or medal based upon her denominational beliefs and affiliations.“

Old 12-31-2017, 10:30 PM

1,259 posts, read 930,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You need to talk to some actual AHG member, not rumors on the internet. We don't have a child in AHG, but do know some of the members and leaders. No wackos among them. Just a diverse group of parents trying to provide opportunities for their kids.

Or another possible alternative is Boy Scouts are starting to open up female Cub Scouts Packs. And before people freak, it's to provide an opportunity for girls to do a different form of scouting than that offered by Girl Scouts. It and AHG are not an indictment against Girl Scouts, but rather a recognition that every girl is different and wants different things.

Also, within Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts for that matter, consider looking at different troops. Each has it's own culture that comes from the kids and parents in that unit based on what they want to do.

But please, whether Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, or AHG, talk to local members where you are, not internet rumors.
It is a conservative Christian group, that emphasizes keeping girls pure no rumor there just fact. No one said anything about whackos. I did suggest attending a couple of meetings to make sure that the mother was comfortable with their teachings before allowing her child to attend.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:57 AM

20,929 posts, read 21,576,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
And people should read deeply and carefully about what the GS of the USA support before they let their daughters join that too

Of course.

While each troop will be different, what, from the stated goals and history on their own website, is concerning? Whenever you are looking at an organization, that's the place to begin.

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-01-2018 at 08:12 AM..

Old 01-01-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
And people should read deeply and carefully about what the GS of the USA support before they let their daughters join that too
Absolutely but that wasn’t the question the OP asked.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:35 AM

1,158 posts, read 735,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I thought it was just Christian based. I didn't know it was ring-wing evangelical. I am looking for something not so focused on cookie sales.
Yeah, the cookie sales. That ruins it for so many families (no sarcasim, the families in our daughter's troop dread it and are vocal about it, but there is no out).

Old 01-01-2018, 09:02 AM

3,202 posts, read 974,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Apparently they were formed when a mother was offended that Girl Scouts allowed other names for God (depending on the girl's personal religious beliefs) to be used in the GS Oath. At one time they had an alliance of some sort with BSA which they severed when BSA allowed gay scouts.

They limit membership to Christians.

Heavy focus on purity and the importance of dressing modestly.

From their website:

https://www.americanheritagegirls.org/
IOW, they are still back in the year 1950 or so.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:20 AM

4,676 posts, read 1,645,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Yeah, the cookie sales. That ruins it for so many families (no sarcasim, the families in our daughter's troop dread it and are vocal about it, but there is no out).
Its hard to sell those boxes at four dollars a box.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Its hard to sell those boxes at four dollars a box.
This has nothing to do with your original post but many years ago when cookies went up to $1.75 a box a customer told me that the GS would never be able to sell cookies for that price. Here we are probably 40 years later and they are $4.00 a box, people in my area love GS cookies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or