U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 01:58 PM

15,025 posts, read 16,254,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We had two girls whose moms could not even afford the basic dues. My co-leader and I covered them until another Mom, who was a successful professional and very well off overheard us talking one day about covering the girls for an upcoming trip and offered to pay for anything they needed for the year. Said she had lost $40K on the stock market the day before that she could afford to lose and that hearing that put the loss into perspective for her.

Interesting. Did you know that there is financial aid available to any girl who needs it. If the activities are through your council, they can be covered in part or in whole by the council. There are forms to be filled out.

We also did cover things from the cookie money the girls earned.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:37 PM

4,378 posts, read 1,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Interesting. Did you know that there is financial aid available to any girl who needs it. If the activities are through your council, they can be covered in part or in whole by the council. There are forms to be filled out.
I didn't know about the financial aid forms.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:13 PM

48,146 posts, read 47,992,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I've heard a few stories about children with disabilities being left out of troops. Girl Scouts is supposed to be inclusive of children with disabilities. The problem arises with parents who don't understand the rules of the organization. Many parents are unaware of the goals and purpose of Scouts. Some of them see it just as place to drop their child off for playtime. I think all parents and volunteers in GS should be given a list of the goals and rules of the organization as soon as they enroll their child. They should be told that it's an inclusive organization and if they have a problem with it, to not get involved and find a different group.
I agree 100%.

I do believe we were given the goals and rules of the organization in training (it was a long time ago, my daughter is 26 years old) but some people may just let their fears and prejudices take over.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:15 PM

48,146 posts, read 47,992,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

We also did cover things from the cookie money the girls earned.
Yes, we were aware of that, but we chose to take care of the two girls whose moms were financially strapped on our own.

Good point, though. No one is excluded because they can't afford to participate.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:33 PM

3,056 posts, read 2,623,497 times
You already have your answer to American Heritage Girls. I heard of it through a lady whose husband had a no women allowed boy scout troop. Those particular people were not people I would have many commonalities with. I'm not religious, but had my kids in scouts. I used it as a learning experience for my kids to see how others believe. I don't remember scouts being so religion based when I was a kid.

Something you might be interested in depending upon where you live is 4-H. They have pretty strong programs and is not as limiting as girl scouts.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 01-14-2018 at 04:54 PM..

Old 01-14-2018, 10:29 PM

4,378 posts, read 1,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Something you might be interested in depending upon where you live is 4-H. They have pretty strong programs and is not as limiting as girl scouts.
I don't know if they have 4-H here or not, but I will look into it. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:58 AM

864 posts, read 607,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think I read on one of the links that they did sell food items in order to fundraise. The context was promoting that each troop kept a larger percentage of profits than GS cookies.

Didn't GS recently have a sugar free cookie? For some reason I thought they did.
Shortbreads have only 1 gram per cookie. There are 4 grams per serving, but a serving size for that particular cookie is 4 cookies.

Source: I'm "cookie mom" for 2 different troops.

As far as the push to sell, that really varies from troop to troop. Neither one of my girls are in a troop that pushes hard, and yet in one, there's a lot more excitement on the part of the families to fund raise. That troop goes on a big trip every year, using the funds earned through cookie sales. Last year was Colonial Williamsburg. The other troop does participate, but not to the same degree and does a "pay as you go" as far funding activities.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:10 AM

5,222 posts, read 5,976,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Even though I am a Christian, I would be very hesitant to enroll my daughter in this group. Please research carefully and maybe sit in on a couple of meetings before you make up your mind.
I be curious to know your hesitancy to join since AHG's values line up with actual New Testament Biblical values. God's values don't change or become "mainstream" to match what the world is doing at the time.

AHG is not just for Christians. They do teach biblical values to the girls, but it's not a Sunday school class at every meeting. They are open to any biological female.

I think the OP should go to a meeting or two. She can even go by herself without her daughter and see what they do like ccc123 suggested. I think you would be pleasantly surprised and happy even though the many commenters here are just speculating on what goes on.

BTW, AHG does do fund raising. They have to since they don't have the big sponsorship's the the GS have. You don't have to fund raise, but they do have some creative campaigns that they rotate around so you don't have to do the same one over and over.

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:57 AM

20,892 posts, read 21,490,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I be curious to know your hesitancy to join since AHG's values line up with actual New Testament Biblical values. God's values don't change or become "mainstream" to match what the world is doing at the time.

AHG is not just for Christians. They do teach biblical values to the girls, but it's not a Sunday school class at every meeting. They are open to any biological female.

I think the OP should go to a meeting or two. She can even go by herself without her daughter and see what they do like ccc123 suggested. I think you would be pleasantly surprised and happy even though the many commenters here are just speculating on what goes on.

BTW, AHG does do fund raising. They have to since they don't have the big sponsorship's the the GS have. You don't have to fund raise, but they do have some creative campaigns that they rotate around so you don't have to do the same one over and over.

Best of luck to you.
How do you reconcile "not just for Christians" with the following:

Quote:
American Heritage Girls is a Christ-centered leadership and character development ministry. The following Statement of Faith applies to all American Heritage Girls Charter Organizations and Adult Members.

"We believe that there is one Triune God Father; Jesus Christ, His one and only Son; and the Holy Spirit Creator of the universe and eternally existent
. We believe the Holy Scriptures (Old and New Testaments) to be the inspired and authoritative Word of God. We believe each person is created in His image for the purpose of communing with and worshipping God. We believe in the ministry of the Holy Spirit, Who enables us to live godly lives. We believe that each of us as an individual is called to love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength; and collectively to love our neighbors as ourselves. We believe God calls us to lives of purity, service, stewardship, and integrity."

Old 01-15-2018, 12:55 PM

4,955 posts, read 2,926,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How do you reconcile "not just for Christians" with the following:
They're saying the adult members (leadership) need to subscribe to their statement of faith. Not that they won't accept Jewish, Muslim, or atheist kids.

Believe it or not, when I was in Girl Scouts a million years ago, the whole troop used to sing a "Christian" grace before meals, and we sang some gospel songs/spirituals in with our other campfire songs. But there were definitely kids (and leaders) there who were not Christian.

I suppose both of those things would be a big no-no today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or