Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:12 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I might start one of my own that doesn't sell cookies. Or as an alternative, I would Juliette my scout, meaning that we do the activities to earn badges on our own, but also send her to Girl Scout camp so she could get some time with other girls. I'm just kicking around ideas right now.
Most GS Councils receive a hefty amount of the money from cookie sales to finance their programming throughout the year. While that's not a motivation to go out and sell 2,000 boxes, it does mean that as a responsible member of GS, you should participate in cookie sales to the degree to which you are able. Also, many Councils will not allow you to do any other fundraising projects (and provide the insurance for said projects) if you do not at least participate in cookie sales. But I'm sure if you became a leader, you'd find other parents who would be eager to have their girls join a troop that doesn't live and breathe cookie sales!

Juliettes are an option, but I think many of the skills you learn in GS come from working with other girls, learning how to work cooperatively, and learning how/when to reach consensus. It's not just earning badges (although that is fun, too!) It also gives her an opportunity to work under different adults with different teaching and management styles. Juliettes can also participate in Council-wide activities, and some some service units/districts will include Juliettes in local level programming, as well as camps. But, being girls, most find that these activities are more fun if you are participating with friends.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:13 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
That just sounds so very radical. I have to wonder if might have the opposite effect on a young person.
I was going to use the word "judgmental" . . . but I didn't want to judge

Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
Not abstaining until marriage IS shameful, so we should shame people who do that.

I am not saying people should go to jail for it, but it is pretty stupid behavior.
Omg that's funny. I hope you don't have kids if they have to be shamed instead of teaching them that it is perfectly normal and ok to be sexual and to have sex as long as they also learn to make choices to respect their bodies and decisions as well as learning about std's and pregnancy prevention.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:19 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
While I am a very reserved person, I don't think sex is reserved for marriage. And I know many Christians who also feel the way I do. I want my daughter to learn:

Her body is her own

Her choices about sex belong to her

Being sexually active prior to marriage doesn't make her bad in any way

Sex is normal and natural

Monogamy is the best way to stay safe (physically and mentally)

She chooses when to get pregnant

Well there is a lot more...but...no, I don't agree with putting an emphasis on being "pure" or a "virgin". You can be a good person, a whole person while being sexually active.
Well said!

Old 01-16-2018, 12:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't think Girl Scouts is supposed to officially follow a certain religion. It's supposed to be a non-religious group. If people have problems with that, then sure, they should get their kid into a religious group.

I don't have a problem with my child doing non-religious activities. For example, she attends gymnastics. That's not a religious activity and the gymnastics place doesn't teach any thing religious. I'd like her to learn to be around kids from different religious backgrounds. If she's only involved in activities specific to a certain religious, she won't get that kind of exposure.

I no opposition to American Heritage Girls as I'm still considering this group for my daughter. There was too much drama in Girl Scouts, a lot of it seems to arise out of cookie sale time. I've worked hard to keep my daughter out of this drama, by not involving her in booth sales, just selling privately door to door. Because there have been huge drama issues surrounding the booth sales, for some reason. The women deal with it by gossiping instead of confronting the issues assertively. They is not always good adult role models for my daughter.
Girl Scouts is relatively secular, but they do co-operate with churches in offering faith based activities if a girl (alone) or a troop wants to do that. They certainly do not follow any specific faith.

Faith - Girl Scouts

When my dd was in scouts (back in the late 70s to the early 90s in Illinois), we had several girls who earned religious recognitions, but our troop was extremely diverse, so the troop never did anything together on religions.

I don't think any of the girls in my granddaughter's troop have done any religious recognitions here in Texas. Our girls have been together since they were 6 years old and are now 15 and sophomores in high school. Girl scouts has been fantastic for my granddaughter. Most of the troop is going to attempt the Gold Award which is the equivalent of the Eagle Scout award in boy scouts.

The advantage of Girl Scouts is going to depend on the troop and the leader, but both my dd and my dgd have had very diverse troops and they have learned to work together well. They also have done a lot of activities where they help the community which I really like.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:19 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I was in Girl Scouts for many years, never once were we taught that "girls are superior to boys".
We were, but it was a very intentionally pushed ideal in the area I grew up in during the 90s.

I have issues with the overall national GSA organization that makes it so that I cannot support them. AHG is something I would look into, but I don't have any qualms with the religious aspects as many do.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:27 PM

509 posts, read 554,536 times
https://navigatorsusa.org/

Navigators.
Co-ed, non-denominational scouting program.

From their page: "As a Navigator, I promise to do my best to create a world free of prejudice and ignorance.
To treat people of every race, creed, lifestyle and ability with dignity and respect.
To strengthen my body and improve my mind to reach my full potential.
To protect our planet and preserve our freedom."

Old 01-21-2018, 11:35 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Apparently we are through discussing the op since thread has been hijacked into a discussion of birth control, premarital sex, etc
Not to mention the religious arguments.

We're closed

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-21-2018 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting