U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 09:52 AM

6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times

Advertisements

I knew a lot of sophomore girls that dated Senior guys. Some of it was a status thing, some of it a driver's license thing, some of it no doubt that girls are a bit ahead maturity wise than guys (on a broad scale,) and some of it had to do (in my high school) that as a sophomore you could only go to Prom as a sophomore if you had a Jr or Sr date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 10:25 AM

8,989 posts, read 7,079,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Let me introduce myself then. Hi, I'm RP, married 30 years to a man I met in college who is one year my senior.
Just to cover the opposing view, allow me to introduce myself. Hi, I'm RR, married over 30 years to a very nice lady who is 15 years younger than me.
My parents (both deceased) had an age difference of 10 years.
"May/December" marriages are nowhere near as uncommon as some would like to think.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:21 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,294,609 times
I see no issue with it and I dated a senior my sophomore year in high school. Granted it lasted for less than a year but we’re still friends today. I also wouldn’t have any issues with a 9th and 12th trader dating.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:07 PM

16,471 posts, read 15,905,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The only concern that I might have would be for my son/daughter being a senior is if the relationship is sexual and one becomes an adult with the other not having reached the age of sexual consent and someone presses charges. Some seniors will be 18 (sometimes even older these days) with a 15 year old partner. (snip)
A lot of people mentioned "a two year age difference" but I would be a little concerned if it was a particularly young and immature sophomore and an older, much more mature senior. I could easily see the younger partner being taken advantage of in that situation.

But, it really is more about the individuals and not their ages. As a junior in HS, I briefly dated a senior. While he was less than a year older than me he was clearly, clearly FAR, FAR more sexually experienced and had FAR, FAR more sexual expectations than any of the other HS boys, or HS graduates that I had dated previously.

And, it isn't always the boy who is the sexual predator. In another situation that I am familiar with, it was the sexually experienced sophomore girl who pressured her boyfriend, a junior, who apparently was a virgin, into having unprotected sex. The only reason that people found out was because it resulted in an unplanned pregnancy and forced wedding.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:23 PM

2,249 posts, read 1,744,626 times
I was a freshman and my husband was a senior. I was 16 when we married and he was 18. We will have been married 50 years in September 2018.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:25 PM

69 posts, read 26,085 times
I dated a senior when I was a sophomore, the relationship actually lasted around 4 years. He's a lovely person and we remained friends for many years afterward. I never felt extra pressure or anything because he was older.

All kinds of age differences can work well, my husband and I are 14 days apart, my parents (married 50 years) are 3mths apart. Our good friends are 15yrs apart. It can all work.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:19 PM

15,565 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Just to cover the opposing view, allow me to introduce myself. Hi, I'm RR, married over 30 years to a very nice lady who is 15 years younger than me.
My parents (both deceased) had an age difference of 10 years.
"May/December" marriages are nowhere near as uncommon as some would like to think.
Nice to meet you! I know many May-December romances, too. I just wanted to pipe up and be counted. Close in age couples exist, too.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:33 PM

6,433 posts, read 2,340,871 times
In hs, I knew an 18 year old senior girl dating a 15 year old sophomore boy. The parents ended it because they felt it wasn't appropriate.

I guess it depends on the ages.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:36 PM

4,150 posts, read 2,157,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I know of nearly NO long term married couples who have less than 2 years age difference. My brother-in-law just had a baby with someone 9 years his junior, and my own grandparents had 7 years age difference.
When I was in high school my boyfriends were usually the same age or a year older, but I dated boys 2 years older when they asked me to their junior or senior proms.

Most of the couples I have known over the years since high school are either the same age or the woman is 3 to 13 years older than the man, but we are adults, often in long-term second marriages, not teenagers.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:36 PM

3,996 posts, read 1,774,084 times
It wasn’t wrong per my judgement, last year, when both my twin girls dated Seniors during their Sophmore year.

The only bad part was that one of them lasted until the summer & they broke up before the kid went to college but I hadn’t thought it would last that long, initially.

But really; there are other much more important things to worry about. The seniors my girls dated were top in their class; clean as a whistle, involved in their communities & the arts ...

In contrast, prior to the Seniors, one of my daughters broke up with a fellow Sophmore because he was “pressuring” her (sexually). Her response? “Eww. Gross; how stupid does he think I am?”

The other one, also prior to the senior, broke up with a Junior because she found out he was smoking pot. She said “I’m trying to go into Aerospace engineering; I don’t need to hang out with losers.”

So, I trust their judgement based on their behaviors. Different kids, different circumstances ... & i may have felt ... differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or