U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 08:56 AM

12,798 posts, read 7,230,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Yeah, keeping a pet outside, and in my state of NY would be considered neglect in certain temperatures, where it's more likely to pick up all the above mentioned is better then keeping them in your house in a clean environment If you plan on buying a dog and keeping it outside with NO human interaction, please don't be a pet owner...
Again, I don't own pets, so the argument over indoor or outdoor is moot. When I talk about animals belonging outside, I'm talking about wild animals, which is that way I believe nature intends them to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 11:38 AM

8,053 posts, read 8,921,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Again, I don't own pets, so the argument over indoor or outdoor is moot. When I talk about animals belonging outside, I'm talking about wild animals, which is that way I believe nature intends them to be.
I have a former feral cat. I assure you that he prefers being a pet. He looks out the door when my dog goes out, but he stays where it's warm with soft places to sleep and good food to eat.

Old Yesterday, 01:37 AM

3,944 posts, read 5,219,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Bahaha...Not any cat I have even known.
Cats usually do as they please.
Well, you probably weren't very good at training them. Cats are creatures of habit and routines which can be influenced to a high degree, especially as kittens. However, if you let them do whatever they want, they will do just that.

Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Bahaha...Not any cat I have even known.
Cats usually do as they please.
I agree.

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM

324 posts, read 96,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Well, you probably weren't very good at training them. Cats are creatures of habit and routines which can be influenced to a high degree, especially as kittens. However, if you let them do whatever they want, they will do just that.
Yep. I work in cat behaviour. I assure you, cats can be trained to do a lot of things (or to not do). Most people just don't understand them enough to try properly. They aren't dogs, which are much more like humans as far as training and behaviour modification.

Old Today, 02:52 PM

237 posts, read 48,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I was at the pediatricians office with annie and her granddaughter and the granddaughter had her check up mom is at work so they had asked annie to take her . So while we were sitting there I heard one of the pediatricians tell the parent that they must get rid of their animals because their child was being infected by the dog and the cat in the house . Then he proceeds to tell the parent that he hates animals around kids they are nasty and they are infection breeders !!! I kid you not , I almost hit the floor . Had that been my pediatrician my kids would not being going back there . Something wrong with someone who supposedly likes children but hates animals in my opinion . Annie said she is going to let her son in law and her daughter know how this guy acts and what he said . Knowing annies daughter and son in law like I do I think this pediatrician probably lost a couple of patients .

Are you one of these people who thinks animals are people?

If not, why does it matter if the doctor hates animals?

How does that effect people?

Old Today, 03:07 PM

2,460 posts, read 996,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post

Lol! Those type of people are insane.

Old Today, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Animals aren't people; they're better than people!

Old Today, 03:35 PM

4,152 posts, read 2,427,639 times
Quote:

How does that affect people?
Not all people, especially nervous young mothers, are strong and secure enough to ignore it or do further research if their child's pediatrician counsels them to get rid of their pets for what may very well be an insufficient reason.

There was a time, maybe it's still the case, when pregnant women were told that it was dangerous for them to change cat litter because they could contract a parasite which will harm their baby. Just a few crucial details are left out, such as that cats pick up this infection outside, and then are contagious for only 3 weeks, so if your cat has been strictly indoors, it's in the clear. I even read a statement from a respected pediatrician: "I think cats should be banned during pregnancy." So upon hear this, without further ado, some pregnant women, even some women who are thinking about getting pregnant, needlessly turn their cats in to a shelter.

I think that sort of thing counts as "affecting people."

Old Today, 07:35 PM

81,697 posts, read 93,177,855 times
^^ Here's what the Humane Society, a very Pro-animal group says: Pregnancy and Toxoplasmosis : The Humane Society of the United States
"Ask your spouse, friends, or neighbors to help out with litter box duties while you're pregnant.
If you don't have help to keep the litter box clean, wear rubber gloves when changing the litter and thoroughly wash your hands afterward.
Have your cat's litter changed on a daily basis."

Since we can only quote three sentences, you'll have to read the remainder yourself.

CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxopl.../pregnant.html
"Do I have to give up my cat if I’m pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant?

No. You should follow these helpful tips to reduce your risk of environmental exposure to Toxoplasma.

Avoid changing cat litter if possible. If no one else can perform the task, wear disposable gloves and wash your hands with soap and water afterwards.
Ensure that the cat litter box is changed daily. The Toxoplasma parasite does not become infectious until 1 to 5 days after it is shed in a cat’s feces.
Feed your cat commercial dry or canned food, not raw or undercooked meats.
Keep cats indoors.
Avoid stray cats, especially kittens. Do not get a new cat while you are pregnant.
Keep outdoor sandboxes covered.
Wear gloves when gardening and during contact with soil or sand because it might be contaminated with cat feces that contain Toxoplasma. Wash hands with soap and water after gardening or contact with soil or sand."

This is a government website, so I can quote more.

FYI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting