U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:57 PM

18,590 posts, read 6,055,264 times

Advertisements

I didn't think much about leaving babies/small children alone with animals until the last couple days when I'm hearing about a 3 month old baby being killed by a family dog(s). One should NOT leave little ones alone for a second when animals are present.

I know this thread is mostly about allergy issues but I wanted to place this horrible story somewhere. I won't post link but one can find it if they care too...Sherman Oaks, CA child.

I recall my little grandson was nipped close to his eye many yrs ago by their family dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 06:51 PM

126 posts, read 63,514 times
We have an 85 lb golden retriever and my kids aren't allergic and are never sick. That's crazy. Why would the dr think dogs give kids infections? Want to know what gives kids infections? OTHER KIDS! Yip. take that doc.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
We have an 85 lb golden retriever and my kids aren't allergic and are never sick. That's crazy. Why would the dr think dogs give kids infections? Want to know what gives kids infections? OTHER KIDS! Yip. take that doc.
Just because your kids are not allergic, there are many that possibly are.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:35 PM

709 posts, read 162,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just because your kids are not allergic, there are many that possibly are.
Bering around pets when young reduces both allergy incidence and asthma incidence.

https://www.pediatrics.wisc.edu/feat...ries/allergies

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-...ce-asthma-risk

Old 05-09-2018, 10:14 AM

14 posts, read 6,033 times
Its not normal for most Americans because culturally we view pets as a normal part of life. My I grew up with a lot of South Asian people and people don't have "pets". When you look at cultures and countries that don't have much and meat is hard to come by you don't really feel like sharing what little you have with an animal. And as horrifying as it may be to us, if your out of fresh meat then the neighborhood feral dogs can help out. So for many people the concept that your taking a "wild" animal and letting it in your house and allowing your child (typically in these countries already not doing great especially at a younger age) to come in contact with something dirty, hostal due to not being breed for domestication, and that will cost you money you may not have for food.

Of course there are plenty of Americans who grew up here that believe the same thing. When my MIL had to move in with me and the husband in the past we had to move units because our neighbor had a dog and our MIL had a very traumatic experience with one resulting in her not being able to be anywhere near them. My own mother had the same issue resulting in me never having a pet growing up. Many people don't hold the same views about pets because to them their no different then a scavenging bird or a wild coyote that you typically wouldn't allow your child anywhere near. And personally I get the worries some doctors have (Several families I know repeatedly go in for dog bites either from their dog or from their child not getting a clue and repeatedly trying to "pet" unfriendly or unknown to them dogs and cats) and I plan to wait on a animal until my child will be old enough to understand or until I can have an animal that I trust is trained enough to be careful with children.

Not loving pets may not be the absolute American norm, but it is more common than before by people who culturally or just personally don't care or trust animals unconditionally. I get why and as much as it seems silly, it does make sense in some situations and experiences. Personally I wouldn't care too much about a doctor that warns against pets, that's his opinion and I'm free to consider it or not. But if I was having personal issues (as OP has been saying) and didn't like them at all I definitely wouldn't keep going to just keep finding things I don't like or trust him about. Not because of the pets, but because your distrust of his advice is clear and to ensure you trust whoever may have lifesaving advice about your child's health your friends DIL needs to suck it up and get a new doctor so she can be fully involved in her childs health.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I didn't think much about leaving babies/small children alone with animals until the last couple days when I'm hearing about a 3 month old baby being killed by a family dog(s). One should NOT leave little ones alone for a second when animals are present.

I know this thread is mostly about allergy issues but I wanted to place this horrible story somewhere. I won't post link but one can find it if they care too...Sherman Oaks, CA child.

I recall my little grandson was nipped close to his eye many yrs ago by their family dog.
The point I was trying to make in this post was DO NOT leave little ones alone with animals. I just happened to put it in the allergy area, my mistake I guess.

Growing up we DID not have animals in the house....that's all changed ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or