U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 07:47 AM

9,792 posts, read 6,931,668 times

Advertisements

For a pediatrician say he hates for children and animals be in the same household, I think he's got a screw loose. Animals are so beneficial to our lives. Unconditional love, responsibility, the facts of life, confidence, tenderness, joy, humor, heaven... What life would be like without animals I can't imagine.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 08:25 AM

14,676 posts, read 15,504,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I was at the pediatricians office with annie and her granddaughter and the granddaughter had her check up mom is at work so they had asked annie to take her . So while we were sitting there I heard one of the pediatricians tell the parent that they must get rid of their animals because their child was being infected by the dog and the cat in the house . Then he proceeds to tell the parent that he hates animals around kids they are nasty and they are infection breeders !!! I kid you not , I almost hit the floor . Had that been my pediatrician my kids would not being going back there . Something wrong with someone who supposedly likes children but hates animals in my opinion . Annie said she is going to let her son in law and her daughter know how this guy acts and what he said . Knowing annies daughter and son in law like I do I think this pediatrician probably lost a couple of patients .
There's so much missing from this post.

Infected by what? Have the kids been brought in repeatedly with ringworm, hookworms, or other parasites? Cat scratch fever? Do they keep getting upper respiratory infections triggered by allergies? Do they have asthma?

Finally, a doctor can not want animals in the house and still be a good pediatrician. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I think a prescription for MYOB is needed here.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:36 AM

6,309 posts, read 4,707,258 times
First off, I love animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Unless you know the backstory this information is invalid and incomplete.
But Germaine is right.

The kids could be having constant respiratory problems caused by the animals.

It could be that the mom is a total slob, and the animals contribute to an unsanitary condition, making the kids sick.

It could be that the Pediatrician has seen an abnormal share of dog bites.

It could be that the Pediatrician is from a culture that doesn't like dogs. Western Cultures love their dogs, but not every culture does.

I'd have to imagine its a combination of all of the above.

I've heard more than one Dr say that in the absence of allergies, a dog is good for the families immune systems since they bring in bacteria from outside the kids get exposed and immune to...

I can't link the source, but I remember reading a comparison of urban and rural kids. In it, it said that kids raised on farms in general got sick less, but developed more allergies, while city kids got sick more but had fewer allergy problems.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:43 AM

3,123 posts, read 1,039,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If the OP is remembering correctly, the pediatrician said that the children were being "infected" by a dog and cat in the house. It would be necessary to find out what exactly the infection is, in order to determine if the advice not to have the animals around children is good.

I highly doubt the kids are catching rabies. They're not getting colds or flu or norovirus from pets. No chicken pox or mumps or measles. The most likely "infection" is worms or fleas, though that would be better termed an infestation, or ringworm, which is a fungal infection. These are all easy to treat and don't necessitate rehoming the pets. Allergies and asthma are not, in any sense, infections.

So all in all, I have to agree in general with the OP that a pediatrician who makes a blanket statement that pets shouldn't be around kids because they're "nasty and infection breeders" probably just has personal issues with animals which take precedence over facts of science. He wouldn't be my choice of a doctor for my children.

I agree with this, but allergies that get out of hand CAN cause things like bronchitis, infected nasal passages, ear infections, etc. MAYBE that's what the doctor was referring to.

I'm a little confused OP, was the doctor talking about Annie's kids and granddaughter...or did you all just overhear him talking to some other random parent?

Old 01-04-2018, 08:51 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,816,676 times
I'd also be more concerned about the lack of privacy in the office than whether the pediatrician told some random parent that they should not have animals near their kids. Who cares? If doctor didn't say to you that you must get rid of YOUR (or Annie's) pets, I'm not sure how this affects you/Annie at all.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:50 AM

7,627 posts, read 12,530,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There are cultures that think animals are disgusting and shouldn't live in houses with people.

Maybe the pediatrician belonged to one of those cultures?
Exactly my thought.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:21 PM

12,562 posts, read 11,808,736 times
Generally, a pet helps to strengthen a child's immune system. But if the child is immuno-suppressed in any way, a pet could be dangerous.

I'd want to get the whole story before deciding.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:49 PM

3,123 posts, read 1,039,272 times
And you know...maybe the doctor was talking about lizards, snakes, turtles...animals that are possible salmonella carriers.

****...we really don't know. Be nice if phonelady would come back and explain a little more.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:11 PM

12,665 posts, read 17,004,958 times
First off annie is a dear friend and no her granddaughter was there getting a check up . Annies daughter was at work and yes the pediatrician was talking to another family out in the waiting room . I thought very bad of that too . But these people looked very clean and their kids looked fine . The father was telling Annie that they were there for a check up and the kids looked fine in my opinion . No visible rashes , no sneezing . You guys get what I'm saying . Annie told me in the car that this pediatrician told her daughter and her son in law they needed to get rid of their dog too . Annie told me he has a hatred for pets in general and her granddaughter usually does not see that dr because her daughter cant stand him . So far that is all I know I just did not want to make the post so long no one would read it .

Old 01-04-2018, 01:18 PM

8,842 posts, read 9,668,457 times
I'm seventy-four years old. I have spent that entire time living with animals, playing with animals, eating with animals, and sleeping with animals. I've not only been healthy; I've been very happy—and so have they.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or