U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2018, 01:29 PM
 
7,696 posts, read 12,855,866 times
Reputation: 9604

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Annie said she is going to let her son in law and her daughter know how this guy acts and what he said . Knowing annies daughter and son in law like I do I think this pediatrician probably lost a couple of patients .
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Annie told me in the car that this pediatrician told her daughter and her son in law they needed to get rid of their dog too . Annie told me he has a hatred for pets in general and her granddaughter usually does not see that dr because her daughter cant stand him . .
First you say Annie plans to inform her daughter about the Dr.
Then you say the daughter is already aware .

Which is it ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2018, 01:35 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
17,599 posts, read 21,783,211 times
Reputation: 44441
There are numerous other articles such as this - Study: Why Dogs and Cats Make Babies Healthier | TIME.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 01:41 PM
 
Location: here
24,473 posts, read 28,761,114 times
Reputation: 31056
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Annie told me in the car that this pediatrician told her daughter and her son in law they needed to get rid of their dog too . Annie told me he has a hatred for pets in general and her granddaughter usually does not see that dr because her daughter cant stand him . So far that is all I know I just did not want to make the post so long no one would read it .
So why is this shocking and why is it even an issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 02:35 PM
 
13,021 posts, read 12,464,716 times
Reputation: 37302
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There are numerous other articles such as this - Study: Why Dogs and Cats Make Babies Healthier | TIME.com
Based on phonelady's most recent post, the real problem here seems to be that the doctor is spreading misinformation because of his personal biases and directly contradicting well-established science (I've been reading articles about the health benefits for children of pets for at least a decade). That's NEVER a good thing in a doctor. What other preferences does he express as medical advice is really the question.

I don't find it shocking - I just find it an indication that the doctor is probably not the greatest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 03:21 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,123 posts, read 17,669,146 times
Reputation: 22480
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
First you say Annie plans to inform her daughter about the Dr.
Then you say the daughter is already aware .

Which is it ???
when we were sitting in the drs waiting room she did not let me know that her daughter already knew about this dr and when we got in the car she told me and yes I can see how that would be confusing sorry .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 03:25 PM
 
4,508 posts, read 1,903,792 times
Reputation: 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I wonder what this germaphobe thinks about healthy immune systems? People who spend most of their time and a lot of their money trying to disinfect the world just amaze me. Let alone corporations that spend millions trying to convince us that everything outside our front door is a threat, is filthy, is riddled with fatal disease. I pity the paranoid parents and sad intolerant kids this attitude might create. No mud pie baking for them.
Ahhhhhhh, but I raided the chicken house and put fresh eggs in my mud pies.


Many years later, one of my uncles *fondly* recalled a horrible smell coming from one of his sheds. My cousin and I had put our freshly made mud pies on a shelf on a hot summer day. The eggs rotted, and my poor uncle had the devil of a time figuring out what the smell was and why it was there. He laughed about it 'til he was in his 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 06:29 PM
 
7,696 posts, read 12,855,866 times
Reputation: 9604
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
when we were sitting in the drs waiting room she did not let me know that her daughter already knew about this dr and when we got in the car she told me and yes I can see how that would be confusing sorry .
So you posted the original post in the waiting room ?? Sounded like it was after the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,194 posts, read 10,149,152 times
Reputation: 18304
I like phonelady61; I wish that I could give her another rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2018, 04:00 AM
 
186 posts, read 92,151 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
For a pediatrician say he hates for children and animals be in the same household, I think he's got a screw loose. Animals are so beneficial to our lives. Unconditional love, responsibility, the facts of life, confidence, tenderness, joy, humor, heaven... What life would be like without animals I can't imagine.
I totally agree . To me they are also my children. Would you get rid of a child? I would find a solution as what is causing the problem. I have had German Sheppard's for over 30 years never a problem. If anything it has made my kids better people. Plus if my life or any one in the family was in danger my dogs would put their lives at risk to save one of us. They love you till the end,and I love them to the end. I would do my best to find and answer,and keep them separate until I do. If it turns out their is no solution I would give it to one of my Family members or close friend,as I would never abandon them and made sure they would go to a good home where I could still visit them. I bet that Pediatrician never had a pet and never experienced that special love they bring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2018, 07:10 AM
 
3,329 posts, read 3,268,288 times
Reputation: 8438
This may be a cultural thing. Many physicians are immigrants from Muslim countries which view pets as dirty. They of course DO track in dirt, until they are housebroken eliminate in the house, pick up fleas and ticks, can transmit ringworm, cat scratch disease, can even maul children.

However, pets are a wonderful thing for children! They give love, attention, and the opportunity to learn to take care of another living being.

My point is, the individual pediatrician may not be a miserable curmudgeon just because they don't want children to live with cats and dogs. It may simply be a part of their culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top