U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 09:36 AM

8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I was at the pediatricians office with annie..... .
When I was doing my marine biology degree, one of the lab TA's said about the parasite course (which wasn't part of my degree), "After taking that course, you will never want to leave the US again!".

I suppose when you know A LOT about a particular area of science, one might form such opinions. As I said the other week, had a girl friend, with a microbiology degree, freak out because she found a mouse had gotten into her soda can. The can was open, she was lazy and grabbed it for a drink, and found him drowned and dead at the bottom. Further details I cannot say for I was not there and know only what she posted.

In family Christmases long past, one of the family friends did have a hard time visiting us because of allergies to pet dandruff. Which, now that I think of it, is rather a curious for he is something of a Teddy Roosevelt, travel the world to hunt and fish.

To the point, however, from knowledge, from experience, I can see how some might form that opinion.

But then again, that is what makes horse races, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 09:47 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,489,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
When I was doing my marine biology degree, one of the lab TA's said about the parasite course (which wasn't part of my degree), "After taking that course, you will never want to leave the US again!".

I suppose when you know A LOT about a particular area of science, one might form such opinions. As I said the other week, had a girl friend, with a microbiology degree, freak out because she found a mouse had gotten into her soda can. The can was open, she was lazy and grabbed it for a drink, and found him drowned and dead at the bottom. Further details I cannot say for I was not there and know only what she posted.

In family Christmases long past, one of the family friends did have a hard time visiting us because of allergies to pet dandruff. Which, now that I think of it, is rather a curious for he is something of a Teddy Roosevelt, travel the world to hunt and fish.

To the point, however, from knowledge, from experience, I can see how some might form that opinion.

But then again, that is what makes horse races, isn't it?
Experience is potentially at play. I knew an ER doc who would nearly have a fit if you reached into a dishwasher to grab something instead of pulling out the racks all the way. He had stitched up too many injuries from that (glass breaking). But once I pressed him harder on how come it bothered him that much. He nearly lost a patient due to a broken wine glass. The young woman got cut badly on the wrist and by the time she got to the ER, she had nearly bled to death. It was touch and go but she pulled through. Even though the chances of that happening again was quite small, he lived it and was overly sensitive to the risk.

Perhaps this doctor feels the same way about animals and kids?

Old 01-07-2018, 11:37 AM

3,174 posts, read 2,720,497 times
On a sort of related note, my parrot has been telling me for years to get rid of my housekeeper. He claims she doesn't wash her hands before preparing my meals. I think he, like the pediatrician, is overly paranoid.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:52 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
You should see the list of infectious diseases that people can carry.
How is that relevant to this thread?

Old 01-07-2018, 11:56 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
This entire thread is pointless speculation. The OP overheard part of a conversation. We don't know why the doc said what he said. The OP'd friend's kids don't see that doc anyway, and the kids' parents are aware.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:21 PM

13,339 posts, read 7,115,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Only of the child has allergies, then it can be a serious health risk to have animals in the house.
Unless the owners weren't taking good care of the pets and they were infested with fleas or never bathed the pet...who knows what was going on in thiscase?! We all assume these are perfect parents and perfect pet owners who do everything they're supposed to.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:25 PM

9,184 posts, read 10,125,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
On a sort of related note, my parrot has been telling me for years to get rid of my housekeeper. He claims she doesn't wash her hands before preparing my meals. I think he, like the pediatrician, is overly paranoid.
I'd trust my parrot more than I would Dr. Quack (who is not a duck)

Old 01-07-2018, 02:17 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,720,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'd trust my parrot more than I would Dr. Quack (who is not a duck)
My parrot is cray, I think. Every morning he says, "I dreamed I could fly."

Old 01-07-2018, 02:43 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
Well, I don't see it that he hates animals. Do you know what symptoms the child had? Was she allergic? Have you been around a child with severe allergies to dogs/cats when they've been around a dog/cat? Did the doctor really say "nasty"?

There are as many pros for having pets as there are cons. I LOVE animals and have always had pets but some kids have allergies to dander and pet hair, some have been attacked by loving pets...and how about cats in a litter box stepping in their sh*t and then walking on your kitchen counters? Yum.
Exactly! The OP eavesdropped. Having worked in a pediatrician's office, I can see the patient and ped walking out to the waiting room in conversation. The part about the ped not liking pets was not a violation of anyone's confidentiality. The part about the pets causing the kids' infection was not a wise thing to say in a waiting room, however, it was probably the truth.

My cats do not walk on the counters. I don't know how we've done it, but they don't.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:25 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,531,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
How is that relevant to this thread?
It's relevant because, if said pediatrician hates animals around kids, he must really hate people around kids. Truth be told, animals (especially indoor pets) are responsible for communicating a mere sliver of the infectious diseases found in children. Properly immunized and cared for pets have almost no effect on the health of humans. By a wide margin, the largest carrier of communicable human diseases are other people.

This is coming from someone who isn't even all that partial to having pets -- too much vacuuming, if you ask me. They have been moved out of my life now, but the two cats that lived with me for over 14 years had zero negative effect on my or their current owner's health. I know this because we rarely were sick and, if we were, it was caused by a common virus carried by other humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or