Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 01:57 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times

Advertisements

I was at the pediatricians office with annie and her granddaughter and the granddaughter had her check up mom is at work so they had asked annie to take her . So while we were sitting there I heard one of the pediatricians tell the parent that they must get rid of their animals because their child was being infected by the dog and the cat in the house . Then he proceeds to tell the parent that he hates animals around kids they are nasty and they are infection breeders !!! I kid you not , I almost hit the floor . Had that been my pediatrician my kids would not being going back there . Something wrong with someone who supposedly likes children but hates animals in my opinion . Annie said she is going to let her son in law and her daughter know how this guy acts and what he said . Knowing annies daughter and son in law like I do I think this pediatrician probably lost a couple of patients .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 02:35 PM

23,281 posts, read 18,810,120 times
I wonder what this germaphobe thinks about healthy immune systems? People who spend most of their time and a lot of their money trying to disinfect the world just amaze me. Let alone corporations that spend millions trying to convince us that everything outside our front door is a threat, is filthy, is riddled with fatal disease. I pity the paranoid parents and sad intolerant kids this attitude might create. No mud pie baking for them.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:35 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Something wrong with someone who supposedly likes children but hates animals in my opinion .
Not that the doctor said he hated animals, but, I'll bite. What is the problem?

Old 01-03-2018, 02:49 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
I don't know who Annie is. I would be weary about over hearing anything and holding it too close. If the child had a suppressed immune system the doctor might be right to say that. I know people who had to get rid of animals because their kids had suppressed immune systems. Its not worth the risk. I have also heard doctors tell patients they "had to" get rid of pets because of allergies.

I know a lot of doctors that seem to have kind of random health fears. Esp ER doctors who see it all.

I would guess a ped would lose a lot of patients if they insisted all their patient's families get rid of pets because of fear of infection. But in some countries that is a totally main stream way for doctors and average people to think and talk about pets.

I dunno...seems weird but not the end of the world.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:56 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Heck, my grown/adult brother-in-law was told by a Dr that he had to get rid of his dog... Allergy issues that were impacting his ability to breathe.

But, lets all just jump to conclusions based on next to no information... We're mostly Americans here, that's what we've been trained to do.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:58 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Only of the child has allergies, then it can be a serious health risk to have animals in the house.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:20 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
I went through the whole allergy bit. Boys tested as allergic to almost everything.
Got rid of the cat, got a toy poodle (non-allergenic), wrapped the mattresses and pillows in sealed plastic, vacuumed the house twice a day to minimize house dust, etc.
Then it turned out the boys reacted to the test medium, not the allergens!
If I had heard our family pediatrician say something like that, I would have a new doctor for my kids (grandkids, now) right quick like.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:46 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Was the child covered in flea bites? Having a problem with recurrent worm infections? Bartonella? Had the doctor already told the parents umpteen times that their child was being infected from contact with pets, and/or told them the pets needed vet attention? I'm happy to condemn the doctor for discussing patient care in front of eavesdroppers in the waiting area instead of in private, but we don't have enough info to blast him for his medical opinion.

Last edited by KCZ; 01-03-2018 at 05:07 PM..

Old 01-03-2018, 05:38 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
So? You really don't know the entire story behind the conversation so you really don't know the context.

Doctors are humans just like the rest of us.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:56 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
When my first child was a baby, a young doctor told me very seriously that our having a dog and two cats in the house would give her allergies and asthma. I couldn't believe my ears. That nonsense was debunked such a long time ago. We kept the pets, and my three kids (now teens) are as healthy as can be and have no allergies/asthma.

I'm not saying children can't be sensitive to pets. But if anything, growing up around animals makes it much less likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting