U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 08:12 AM

33,102 posts, read 41,406,024 times

Advertisements

Iím having my first grandchild in 18 years. Weíre very excited to have a baby in the family again. So, what I want is something to play music for the baby.

When my other grandchildren were little, 20 years ago, I bought a tape player with cassettes of classical music or lullabies, etc. Now I know those things are passť. The parents are up on things like music through their phones, but Iím not.

If you are still with me, would something like an Echo Dot, or similar, be the way to go? A device they tell to play whatever? What could they get music from YouTube or pandora on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 08:27 AM

15,639 posts, read 17,865,741 times
Congrats!

I found a few links. Hopefully these help.

Also, if they have amazon prime they can sit up a laptop and play a variety of music. I would imagine Pandora or any app would work the same.

https://flipboard.com/@chrismaginn20...2017-bbq40iany

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/blo...-best-for-kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsEWkO_U3H0

Here is a great thing...Being able to record yourself reading a bedtime story. My neighbor does this for his grand daughter.

Voice Recording Children Books Make Great Gifts - A Sharp Eye

Old 01-06-2018, 08:30 AM

10,081 posts, read 6,216,835 times
It would likely have to go with what ever system mom and dad use. So I think you would have to ask them.

I might look at something different, depending on what the parents need/want for the baby.

Congrats!

Old 01-06-2018, 08:41 AM

5,837 posts, read 3,863,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It would likely have to go with what ever system mom and dad use. So I think you would have to ask them.
This. There are so many ways to play music these days I'd not want to guess what the parents would find useful (or not). We often get 'techie' gifts of all kinds that don't fit with whatever other stuff we have in our house so sadly they sit unused, get returned, or get re-gifted.

But...congrats on the upcoming new grand!

Old 01-06-2018, 09:27 AM

2,996 posts, read 2,743,452 times
I think JaneND's idea is a great one of recording yourself reading a bedtime story. Also, there are CD's called Rockabye Baby from Metallica, Beatles and other bands/groups that put their songs to classical. We had some when our kids were babies and we played them all the time. We used a CD player but that was 10 years ago. I would check with whatever the parents use today to play music at home and go from there.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I think JaneND's idea is a great one of recording yourself reading a bedtime story. Also, there are CD's called Rockabye Baby from Metallica, Beatles and other bands/groups that put their songs to classical. We had some when our kids were babies and we played them all the time. We used a CD player but that was 10 years ago. I would check with whatever the parents use today to play music at home and go from there.
My kids still use a CD player/radio in their rooms. I think they are too young for iphones/etc. But the moms of babies I know use "smart devices" of one sort or the other for music in the baby's room.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:44 AM

33,102 posts, read 41,406,024 times
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:13 AM

13,421 posts, read 20,940,664 times
I like to sit in the rocking chair and read, tell stories or sing to them at nap time and bedtime.
It worked for my kids, grand kids and now the great grand kids. I do this even though I have basic techno skills, because I like the personal contact and so do they. The bonding is as priceless as they are.

They get all the music they want from other sources

Old 01-06-2018, 10:32 AM

2,891 posts, read 1,467,714 times
Read to your baby while gently playing soothing music in the background. It's the most marvelous gift you can give right now. Upon birth, the baby will recognize your voice if you do it often enough. An old CD or cassette player is fine if you still have one. Your library will have a large selection of music for free.

Congrats! What could be more exciting than the arrival of a new baby? Nothing!!

Old 01-06-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Read to your baby while gently playing soothing music in the background. It's the most marvelous gift you can give right now. Upon birth, the baby will recognize your voice if you do it often enough. An old CD or cassette player is fine if you still have one. Your library will have a large selection of music for free.

Congrats! What could be more exciting than the arrival of a new baby? Nothing!!
I would be really put off if my mom or MIL wanted to read to my belly while I was pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting