U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you allow sleepovers?
Yes 43 79.63%
No way! 5 9.26%
Maybe 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 08:18 PM

1,925 posts, read 887,971 times

Advertisements

Yes! So fun for our son and we do it with parents we know already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 10:19 PM

368 posts, read 194,188 times
Yes. My boys and their friends are really easy right now. Pretty self sufficient except for food.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:22 PM

12,694 posts, read 7,185,534 times
We did it a few times when the children were young but it wasn't a regular practice. One of my kids was not particularly resilient to disruptions in her sleep routine, and a sleepover would invariably lead to a protracted recovery period in which she was remarkably unpleasant. She herself finally called a halt to the madness, and none of us missed it. Now a college student, she works all summer to afford the upcharge for a single-occupancy dorm room, so, clearly, nothing has changed.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-06-2018 at 11:57 PM..

Old 01-06-2018, 11:57 PM

309 posts, read 135,376 times
Yes we allow our kids to have sleepovers and also go to sleepovers at their friends houses. It wasn't until we moved to another state last year that I found out that sleepovers are not always the norm. Where we live now sleepovers are rare, but my kids have each found a friend of two who can stay overnight.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:46 AM

677 posts, read 651,561 times
Yes but it's not really enjoyable for me or other parents, I believe. We are night owls and the kid's frien is an early bird, so they stayed up as late as our kid goes to bed but then woke up like 6 am.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:40 AM

3,495 posts, read 2,940,943 times
My 14 yr old always regrets it the next day. She's tired and grumpy.
She prefers her friends company in small doses.( her words)

Old 01-07-2018, 05:28 AM

4,262 posts, read 2,964,630 times
Yes, we did when our boys were young. We lived in a rural area and some of their friends lived up to 5 miles away. Some of those back country roads were very icy with lots of dips and curves and neither I nor my husband relished the thought of going out on a dark winter night to return one of their friends back home. It was just easier to keep them overnight.

One of their friends had divorced parents and this boy lived with his father... WHEN the father was home.

He worked out of town and I think the kid lived on fried chicken fingers and french fries done in a deep fryer. He was about 12 when he moved to our area, so I have no idea how long this kid had been cooking his own meals. I was happy to sit him down at our table and give him a good, healthy, home-cooked meal once in a while.

Another of the boy's friends lived in a beat up mobile home with parents that didn't have much money. That kid ate like he was starving, and maybe he was. Very sad. Our kids never got an invite to his house for a sleepover and I was glad they didn't. I would have said no to leaving them in what I imagine was not a very clean house since the yard was very poorly kept. (not kept at all really)

Sure, we had to listen to them laughing and talking late but they were making memories and are still close with most of the kids we had over and they are now in their late 20's and early 30's.

Oh, it pains me to say that and realize how quickly the years go by. Enjoy your kids while they and YOU are still young.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:53 AM

2,655 posts, read 2,742,804 times
Of course! Sleepovers are a ton of fun for the kids. I was cautious about it, educated my children appropriately about molestation, but I wouldn't have let this fear stop my kids from experiencing the fun of sleepovers.

It's possibly to feed them all inexpensively. I usually do a couple of pizzas with a coupon from online, a couple of bags of chips, supermarket ice cream on sale, maybe a huge cake from Costco. Maybe the cost of it all is $50? I can certainly afford it, and it makes the kid really, really happy.

I prefer when it happens here, and it almost always does happen here, because we have a great backyard, a fun kid basement, and I'm happy to have it all here, despite the noise, mess, and cost of the food, because I know my kid is happy, and I get to know his friends a little. Completely opposite of what I grew up with. My mother proudly announced to whomever would listen, "Never buy a swing set, or all the neighborhood kids will be over playing in YOUR backyard!" She never did, and she never wanted children over at her house. We've been completely the opposite. I'm delighted that my kids' house is the play house in our neighborhood. Best thing possible for my kids.

Around here, if a family won't let their kid sleepover, it's unusual.

An alternative for young kids is to have a "sleepunder" party, where the kids come for play, dinner, more play, maybe a movie together, and then go home at about ten PM to sleep at home.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:08 AM

210 posts, read 53,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I have seen a thread on this but it was from 2012.

Do you allow your kids to have their friends sleepover?

We do and every time I do I ask myself "Why do I"! The kids stay up late, I typically feed them a ton of food and snacks and it just seems to be a pain in the rear!

My 2 girls each have a friend staying over tonight, which are also sisters. All the kids are good, but is it really necessary to do this and what is the obsession with sleep overs with kids?
I have such great childhood memories of sleepovers! Of course, I let my kids have/go to them. I never found it to be a pain. I made sure I know the parents and my children knew that if there were any issues they could call me at anytime and I'd come pick them up.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:22 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,125,045 times
My daughter seem to partake in these much more then my son. She had very good friends that were easy to entertain while at our house. Those same kids were in her wedding, years later and now they all hang out together as moms. Great times and memories for them and us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting