U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you allow sleepovers?
Yes 62 76.54%
No way! 7 8.64%
Maybe 12 14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 09:22 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,461,484 times

Advertisements

I totally misread (morning brain). I do allow sleep overs at my house. Why not? Not all the time, but once a month or so. And a slumber party for birthdays if desired.

I think having friends over keeps the kids busy

Last edited by HighFlyingBird; 01-07-2018 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 09:28 AM

12,975 posts, read 7,163,953 times
Okay I'm not a mom but I've had kids sleep over at our house. There are these two sisters that adopted us when we were working on one of the rentals. They would come over every time we were there. One day they asked if they could spend the night with us and I initially said no. I finally caved in one summer and that was ten years ago. They've been coming ever since. This was the first year in nearly a decade that they weren't with us for New Years Eve for a sleep over and I really missed them. They're 16 and 18 now and our neighbors daughter is 16 and she spent the night with us as well. So did a friend of the two sisters.

Our friend and her 5 year old have spent several nights with us. I imagine the 5 year old will want to be with us when she's a little older, and so the cycle continues. I love having the kids with us

Old 01-07-2018, 09:33 AM

9,263 posts, read 11,091,103 times
1. Get to know the parents as well as the children. Be aware of older siblings and what type of kid they are also.
2. Don't have huge groups, 5+ extra kids turns to madness
3. Have a pickup time in mind, some parents think a sleepover means see you Sunday night after a Saturday morning dropoff!

Only saw a couple sleepovers go bad.....luckily they were at someone else's house! One kid was dumped there then told by his parents to walk home the next night (it was already dark, it was like 8-10 miles home). Kid had very strange behavior and parents were weirdos.

For most kids it is a great time!

Old 01-07-2018, 10:13 AM

736 posts, read 395,003 times
Sleepovers or slumber parties? I remember a great slumber party when I was in high school. About 15 or 16 giggling girls making a giant tent out of the furniture in her bedroom. Loud music. Very very late feasting on unlimited junk food. The several boys hiding in the bushes whispering to be let in (after the adults went to bed they were let in. I bet thats a night they still remember )
And then when boys were kicked out and most girls asleep, the customary gathering of brassiers, connecting them all together, soaking them in water and putting them in the freezer. Those were the days....

Old 01-07-2018, 10:30 AM

6,114 posts, read 5,134,617 times
I'll never forget the first sleepover we had at my house when we first moved here (22 years ago). Oldest daughter (then 10) made a new friend and asked if she could sleep over. I was glad she was adapting, and she had a double bed, so I said yes. When they got ready for bed, I discovered this girl was FILTHY. As in, her knees were BLACK. I made her take a shower, saying a rule in our house was everybody takes a shower or bath before bed. No surprise, when both my girls contracted head lice.

But for the most part, sleepovers and slumber parties were fun. We hosted them frequently. I used to give the girls "makeovers", style their hair, apply makeup, etc. I'd ask them how old they wanted to look, !6, 20, or 25? Only rule was, they could NOT leave the house to show off after I made them up. One girl spent almost every weekend at our house, Nice memories, nice girls. I miss those days.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:39 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,461,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I'll never forget the first sleepover we had at my house when we first moved here (22 years ago). Oldest daughter (then 10) made a new friend and asked if she could sleep over. I was glad she was adapting, and she had a double bed, so I said yes. When they got ready for bed, I discovered this girl was FILTHY. As in, her knees were BLACK. I made her take a shower, saying a rule in our house was everybody takes a shower or bath before bed. No surprise, when both my girls contracted head lice.

But for the most part, sleepovers and slumber parties were fun. We hosted them frequently. I used to give the girls "makeovers", style their hair, apply makeup, etc. I'd ask them how old they wanted to look, !6, 20, or 25? Only rule was, they could NOT leave the house to show off after I made them up. One girl spent almost every weekend at our house, Nice memories, nice girls. I miss those days.
That is sad about that first girl. I am sure she had a rough life. In that situation, I totally get it. But my kids are told not to shower or bathe over at other people's house because it can be a way to wash away evidence of abuse. But your situation was totally different. Poor kid.

I like having my kid's friends over. They are nice kids and I enjoy getting to know them. I think it helps to know them too, when they have issues arise (as that tends to happen here and there) and I can understand better what is going on in the dynamic to offer better advice or a better ear.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:10 AM

636 posts, read 223,659 times
When my daughter was growing up, on any given weekend it was more common to have someone sleeping over than not it seemed! lol Or my daughter was at someone else's house. She and her best friend would often spend Friday night at one house, and Saturday at the other. For special occasions, like birthdays, she often had slumber parties.

We had no problem with that. She was/is a super social person, and had great friends for the most part. We did vet who did the sleeping over - saying no occasionally to certain kids we knew might cause problems sleeping at our house, or to our daughter sleeping over at houses where we weren't comfortable with the parents. Through her high school years we had the house that everyone hung out at. I worked at her school, and had known most of the kids since kindergarten, so the parents were fine with that.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:49 AM

6,114 posts, read 5,134,617 times
My daughter reminded me of a funny story about one slumber party we had, when she was 14 or 15. It was Sunday afternoon, and most of the friends were still here, hanging out. We heard a loud "thump thump thump" coming from the back porch. We (me, my daughters and 4 girls) went out to investigate. The thumping was coming from the trash can, standing on the ground next to the back porch. I noticed the lid was off, and we all looked in. I saw beady eyes looking up at me, and a white stripe...

The girls were all screaming, "A SKUNK! A SKUNK!" I called the non-emergency line for the police department, and was (long story short) told to call Animal Control, but was basically given the run around. Since it was Sunday, none of the offices they told me to call were in. I called the police department back, and was told to "put the garden hose in the trash can and drown it."

We couldn't do that, of course. Oldest daughter and I decided to put the lid on the can, carry it over to the adjacent field, count to 3, dump it, and run like heck. We did this, while the other girls stayed back in our driveway, screetching. The skunk waddled off into the woods, and nobody got sprayed.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:42 PM

15,819 posts, read 18,375,717 times
It has been years since my kids were young ....But, the last sleep over that I had was for my daughter, who was then 16...I had 10 16 year old girls....it was a nightmare. When I wasn't chasing boys away from our back door, I was monitoring the mess the were making by crunching the snacks into the carpet.

At that time, I had also had younger sons....And, I had avoided letting them have a group sleepover because I always thought having boys sleep over would be bad....Nope...those 16 year old girls were a nightmare.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:43 PM

11,518 posts, read 5,391,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My daughter reminded me of a funny story about one slumber party we had, when she was 14 or 15. It was Sunday afternoon, and most of the friends were still here, hanging out. We heard a loud "thump thump thump" coming from the back porch. We (me, my daughters and 4 girls) went out to investigate. The thumping was coming from the trash can, standing on the ground next to the back porch. I noticed the lid was off, and we all looked in. I saw beady eyes looking up at me, and a white stripe...

The girls were all screaming, "A SKUNK! A SKUNK!" I called the non-emergency line for the police department, and was (long story short) told to call Animal Control, but was basically given the run around. Since it was Sunday, none of the offices they told me to call were in. I called the police department back, and was told to "put the garden hose in the trash can and drown it."

We couldn't do that, of course. Oldest daughter and I decided to put the lid on the can, carry it over to the adjacent field, count to 3, dump it, and run like heck. We did this, while the other girls stayed back in our driveway, screetching. The skunk waddled off into the woods, and nobody got sprayed.
Awe..........good story! Of course no drowning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting