U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you allow sleepovers?
Yes 62 76.54%
No way! 7 8.64%
Maybe 12 14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:52 PM

10,027 posts, read 6,154,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My daughter reminded me of a funny story about one slumber party we had, when she was 14 or 15. It was Sunday afternoon, and most of the friends were still here, hanging out. We heard a loud "thump thump thump" coming from the back porch. We (me, my daughters and 4 girls) went out to investigate. The thumping was coming from the trash can, standing on the ground next to the back porch. I noticed the lid was off, and we all looked in. I saw beady eyes looking up at me, and a white stripe...

The girls were all screaming, "A SKUNK! A SKUNK!" I called the non-emergency line for the police department, and was (long story short) told to call Animal Control, but was basically given the run around. Since it was Sunday, none of the offices they told me to call were in. I called the police department back, and was told to "put the garden hose in the trash can and drown it."

We couldn't do that, of course. Oldest daughter and I decided to put the lid on the can, carry it over to the adjacent field, count to 3, dump it, and run like heck. We did this, while the other girls stayed back in our driveway, screetching. The skunk waddled off into the woods, and nobody got sprayed.
LOL that must have been a highlight of their slumber party! And brave daughter. We have skunks around here and, although I have never dealt with one super close, they seem far more laid back then I ever thought they would be. They just sort of waddle around like they don't realize their super power. Maybe they are used to being left alone because of their stink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 03:47 PM

489 posts, read 304,609 times
sleepovers are among some of my favorite childhood memories.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:06 AM

1,555 posts, read 612,727 times
My kids were kinda "weird" when it came to their friends sleeping over at our house. We always gave them the impression that we didn't mind it (with any of their few close friends), but they always said they didn't want any of their friends to get too "comfortable" over here...lol

Old 01-08-2018, 02:44 AM

2,300 posts, read 1,022,959 times
I used to love it as a kid, but it was a different time I suppose. Mine doesn't even want to try. When she has friends over she's generally leading the charge to make sure there is a pickup and return time. She likes her sleep more I guess.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:35 AM

7,814 posts, read 3,344,073 times
We rarely did sleepovers either at our house or at my kids' friends. I had to know the parents very well and one of my boys always called and wanted to come home.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:30 AM

152 posts, read 73,898 times
I just had 6 girls at my house this weekend for my daughter's bday.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:26 PM

8,450 posts, read 4,516,727 times
Yes, quite often.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:36 PM

616 posts, read 768,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Of course! Sleepovers are a ton of fun for the kids. I was cautious about it, educated my children appropriately about molestation, but I wouldn't have let this fear stop my kids from experiencing the fun of sleepovers.

It's possibly to feed them all inexpensively. I usually do a couple of pizzas with a coupon from online, a couple of bags of chips, supermarket ice cream on sale, maybe a huge cake from Costco. Maybe the cost of it all is $50? I can certainly afford it, and it makes the kid really, really happy.

I prefer when it happens here, and it almost always does happen here, because we have a great backyard, a fun kid basement, and I'm happy to have it all here, despite the noise, mess, and cost of the food, because I know my kid is happy, and I get to know his friends a little. Completely opposite of what I grew up with. My mother proudly announced to whomever would listen, "Never buy a swing set, or all the neighborhood kids will be over playing in YOUR backyard!" She never did, and she never wanted children over at her house. We've been completely the opposite. I'm delighted that my kids' house is the play house in our neighborhood. Best thing possible for my kids.

Around here, if a family won't let their kid sleepover, it's unusual.

An alternative for young kids is to have a "sleepunder" party, where the kids come for play, dinner, more play, maybe a movie together, and then go home at about ten PM to sleep at home.

We do this fairly often and they are called "lateovers" here. We also do the sleepover thing....I think that they are fun and the kids make great memories. I loved doing them when I was a kid.

Ditto on preferring the kids are at our house....I love when the friends all feel comfortable here. Happy to open our home to all their friends.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:31 PM

1,755 posts, read 874,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I have seen a thread on this but it was from 2012.

Do you allow your kids to have their friends sleepover?

We do and every time I do I ask myself "Why do I"! The kids stay up late, I typically feed them a ton of food and snacks and it just seems to be a pain in the rear!

My 2 girls each have a friend staying over tonight, which are also sisters. All the kids are good, but is it really necessary to do this and what is the obsession with sleep overs with kids?
Kids did this in the 50's! And every year since. It's fun! Kids love it so of course I allowed it when my kids lived at home. I so miss those days.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:32 PM

1,755 posts, read 874,617 times
When I was growing up my BFF and I spent the night at each other's houses every weekend and we lived in very small houses. I looked forward to it all week. We had so much fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting