U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you allow sleepovers?
Yes 56 78.87%
No way! 5 7.04%
Maybe 10 14.08%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:34 PM

1,632 posts, read 729,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
sleepovers are among some of my favorite childhood memories.
Me too! I don't know any women who don't feel the same!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 03:55 AM

5,706 posts, read 4,691,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
When I was growing up my BFF and I spent the night at each other's houses every weekend and we lived in very small houses. I looked forward to it all week. We had so much fun!
As a teenager, I didn't much like staying over at my BFF's house. Her mother was a real b***h and yelled at her a lot. If I stayed over Friday night, I had to spend all day Saturday helping her with her housework chores (she had a LOT). If I stayed over Saturday night, I had to go with her to Sunday School and church. She was still forced to go to Sunday School when she was almost 18, in her senior year of high school (she was the oldest in the class by at least two years). It was more of a break for her when she stayed over at MY house, because I didn't have as many chores, and I didn't go to Sunday School or church, so she didn't have to either.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-10-2018 at 04:11 AM..

Old 01-10-2018, 07:30 AM

25,637 posts, read 17,761,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I have seen a thread on this but it was from 2012.

Do you allow your kids to have their friends sleepover?

We do and every time I do I ask myself "Why do I"! The kids stay up late, I typically feed them a ton of food and snacks and it just seems to be a pain in the rear!

My 2 girls each have a friend staying over tonight, which are also sisters. All the kids are good, but is it really necessary to do this and what is the obsession with sleep overs with kids?
Yes. And I'm happy to do so for my kids. Our parents didn't allow sleepovers because it was too much of an inconvenience for them. I want my kids to enjoy their childhoods as much as possible. I remember going on sleepovers to my friends' homes. We just had so much fun hanging out, listening to music, sharing secrets, etc. Sleepovers are a bonding experience IMHO.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 AM

6,921 posts, read 3,744,761 times
Yes. Only for those kids we know the parents well. We don't do it often as we are a 5 person family living in 1000sqft home so it takes some planning to have guests stay the night.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:23 AM

5,354 posts, read 7,834,447 times
Yes, all the time.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:14 PM

274 posts, read 99,659 times
I allow them all the time!

Now I just ask who will be there and what they’ll be doing. When we host them, I make certain we establish pickup times with the parents.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:19 PM

279 posts, read 56,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I have seen a thread on this but it was from 2012.

Do you allow your kids to have their friends sleepover?

We do and every time I do I ask myself "Why do I"! The kids stay up late, I typically feed them a ton of food and snacks and it just seems to be a pain in the rear!

My 2 girls each have a friend staying over tonight, which are also sisters. All the kids are good, but is it really necessary to do this and what is the obsession with sleep overs with kids?

Because you want the kids to have fun?

There seems to be a disproportionately large number of people here who treat children as an expense item on a budget and it is so sad.

Why do you people even have kids for?

Old 01-15-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes. And I'm happy to do so for my kids. Our parents didn't allow sleepovers because it was too much of an inconvenience for them. I want my kids to enjoy their childhoods as much as possible. I remember going on sleepovers to my friends' homes. We just had so much fun hanging out, listening to music, sharing secrets, etc. Sleepovers are a bonding experience IMHO.

I agree with most of this, but listening to music is not an activity.

That belongs in the thinking drinking is an activity. It is a supplement to something more substantial.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think it's one of those things parents do for the sake of their kids, knowing full well the kids will be miserable the next day. So yes, we allowed sleepovers, frequently. Still do, but now it's adult sons and girlfriends. They sleep better, and make their own breakfast.

Why would the kids be miserable the next day?

Are you saying miserable in the sense of a letdown from an emotional high?

Old 01-15-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yep. When my kids were that age we frequently hosted sleepovers and they frequently slept over at friend's homes as well. As did I at that age. Lots of fun memories. Was it a pain (as an adult)? Sure. So are lots of things that provide good memories. I don't regret a minute.

I think if you genuinely enjoy kids and have decent behaved kids, its fun for the parents too.

Its just the ones who had a kid because all their other friends had kids who want to park them in front of the TV or phone to raise them that hate sleepovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting