U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 12:05 PM

17,265 posts, read 14,837,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Wow, what a horrible "father". I certainly understand taking it away till grades are better but this is all kinds of awful. For those that say "It's just a video game system", it's the principal of the matter. Imagine if a parent "punished" a girl by making her tear up all of her nice clothes, or smash all her makeup.
I'm guessing there is a history of the child not doing his work or maybe not wanting to do anything because of the game. It is not common for girls to become addicted to their clothes, video games however can be quite addicting for some kids (and adults, my 42 year old nephew can't play Pokémon Go without becoming addicted, so he had to get rid of it), and if that was the case here, moderation wouldn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 12:10 PM

6,514 posts, read 2,371,038 times
This is warped. It really is.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:17 PM

727 posts, read 356,570 times
Humiliating kid on you tube and teaching your child to be wasteful of something that did initially cost a bit of money? Worst type of parenting. Perhaps if he was a better parent his kid would have been getting decent grades to begin with.

Take the xbox away, lock it up, sell it, hell...give it away to charity,and keep your family business in your family.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:27 PM

23,010 posts, read 31,972,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Wow, what a horrible "father". I certainly understand taking it away till grades are better but this is all kinds of awful. For those that say "It's just a video game system", it's the principal of the matter. Imagine if a parent "punished" a girl by making her tear up all of her nice clothes, or smash all her makeup.
Speaking of girls, one case a couple of years ago where a father punished his daughter by cutting off her long there than videotaping her reaction and putting it on YouTube. The girl committed suicide not long after. Far as I’m concerned, that father and anyone who publically humiliates their child like that should be doing jail time for child abuse, especially when the fallout is that extreme.

To the OPs case, cruel and excessive punishment. Taking it away and having the boy work for it back was a slam dunk good parenting decision.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:33 PM

3,183 posts, read 3,350,141 times
I feel sorry for the XBox.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:55 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,079,037 times
I used to remove everything from my older son's room and take it to the basement as discipline. When he earned it back by doing the "right" thing, and yes, he darn well knew the right thing to do, he got it back. Now, he is 40 year old LTC in the military, and has had a lot of success in the area of doing the right thing.

Putting this on youtube was poor parenting, but the father obviously was not ahead of the problem and lost it.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:59 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,480,444 times
I wonder why he didn’t film himself beating the kid because the kid refused to “pick up the f-ing hammer and do it”.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 PM

403 posts, read 172,796 times
That's terrible. This is a violence and mockery. We should see the boy loved the games and the entertainment device.

The father is very foolish because the son will remember this conflict forever. Moreover the psychological pressure like this can cause serious psychological problems, an escape from home, a suicide etc.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:29 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,500,984 times
Not only is it the most lazy parenting (even swearing at the kid), but it is cruel. He doesn't have to even confiscate the xbox, he just needs to learn how to speak to his child. The amount of injustice and anger the boy has stuffed up inside must be just enough to eat him alive. Nothing about what the dad did on the video helps this kid to grow up into a better person. How sad.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:15 PM

15,197 posts, read 16,054,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by good_deal_maker View Post
That's terrible. This is a violence and mockery. We should see the boy loved the games and the entertainment device.

The father is very foolish because the son will remember this conflict forever. Moreover the psychological pressure like this can cause serious psychological problems, an escape from home, a suicide etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Not only is it the most lazy parenting (even swearing at the kid), but it is cruel. He doesn't have to even confiscate the xbox, he just needs to learn how to speak to his child. The amount of injustice and anger the boy has stuffed up inside must be just enough to eat him alive. Nothing about what the dad did on the video helps this kid to grow up into a better person. How sad.
I was wondering what the kid was thinking as he was swinging that sledge hammer--I bet it was scary.

It's obvious the dad had completely lost control of the situation with his son and resorted to brute force. So unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or