U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 02:16 PM

15,013 posts, read 15,847,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm guessing there is a history of the child not doing his work or maybe not wanting to do anything because of the game. It is not common for girls to become addicted to their clothes, video games however can be quite addicting for some kids (and adults, my 42 year old nephew can't play Pokémon Go without becoming addicted, so he had to get rid of it), and if that was the case here, moderation wouldn't work.
The father could have taken the electronics away and accomplished the same thing. He didn't need to make the child destroy it with a sledge hammer and then post it online. The dad is a bully and a terrible parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 02:21 PM

891 posts, read 545,801 times
Lol @ the outrage on this thread! People are so quick to jump to all manner of conclusions with barely any information.

I do think this was poor judgement on the part of whomever thought they should film and upload this. Seems like nothing’s private these days. The dad comes across as a jerk.

But on the grand scheme of things... oh please. So the kid had to destroy his own xbox. I think he’ll live. I’ve seen kids hazing other kids worse than this video with far less reason.

The dad handled this poorly.

However; all the pearl clutching and statements like “worst parenting” and “Injustice” and putting the word father in quotes is pretty hilarious to me. Some of you need to spend a day in family court to expand your definitions of what “worst parenting” and “Injustice” is.

Its bad, but if this is your idea of ‘worst’ you’all clearly don't get out much.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:29 PM

5,562 posts, read 3,181,187 times
I understand a parent's frustration. They had undoubtedly had many talks about playing games instead of studying. But using that language and putting it on youtube is cruel. Make him sell the system and put the money in a college fund.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:45 PM

280 posts, read 386,658 times
I have kids. This was pretty cruel on every level. I understand the mantra he who giveth, taketh. but growing up, mucking with those xboxes paved way for my engineering career. And my friends who had terrible parenting like this poor fella growing up are still struggling. I still have my original xbox, I struggled to maintain c average, and didn't even get through high school.

None of what this dad's "lesson" was would change this kids outcome. All this did was destroy a perfectly good piece of electronics.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:47 PM

27,985 posts, read 19,441,057 times
Absolutely disgusting.

Take the gaming system away, hide it. You don't pull this emotional crap on kids to prove your point. How absolutely juvenile and mean-spirited of this father.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:53 PM

16,616 posts, read 14,494,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The father could have taken the electronics away and accomplished the same thing. He didn't need to make the child destroy it with a sledge hammer and then post it online. The dad is a bully and a terrible parent.
Posting it online I agree was not necessary and stupid. The sledge hammer/destroying it I'm not going to judge because I don't know how many times in the past he had it taken away and didn't change his behavior when he got it back. I highly doubt this was the first solution but most likely last resort.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:57 PM

6,131 posts, read 2,383,461 times
This video makes me sick, literally. My stomach hurts.

I don't know what the original offense was, but it sounds like weeks of not turning in some kind of homework. If you're really concerned about homework, in that age child "weeks" shouldn't go by without you noticing.

This is NOT going to make this child say hey I want to do better.

Making a child destroy something they cherish is heartless and doesn't solve the problem, except making the parent feel better because he got revenge.

edited to add: apparently this video is over 2 years old

Old 01-08-2018, 03:12 PM

903 posts, read 637,875 times
Publicizing it? That's actually the poor form... but the act itself, no that's not abuse of any kind.

The kid is old enough to adhere to a set of standards, saying otherwise is the reason behind this proliferation of arrogant, whiny, entitlement-mentality, underachieving cry-babies we all have to deal with more and more frequently.

Only 10 years ago, you could legally use physical discipline to correct intentional academic deliquency. ...well the laws are still on the books that you can but, nowadays you'd havs as much as luck ice-skating uphill.

EDIT: well...not that physical force should be the first or even second option. Even breaking the xbox (as opposes to confiscation) ahouldn't be the first option.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:13 PM

891 posts, read 545,801 times
Quote:
Posting it online I agree was not necessary and stupid. The sledge hammer/destroying it I'm not going to judge because I don't know how many times in the past he had it taken away and didn't change his behavior when he got it back. I highly doubt this was the first solution but most likely last resort.
I agree.

I wonder if any one of the pearl clutchers upthread noticed that the kid was not the least bit repentant of whatever got his dad so worked up. Most kids burst into a chorus of apologies and negotiating when access to something they love is about to be compromised over something they did.

But even with the sledgehammer in hand and the dad clearly incredibly mad at him; It was still not his, but the teacher’s fault. Defiant to the end. The only thing that got emotion from him was the thought of destroying his beloved xbox. I have a feeling if he had shown that same remorse about his actions, there’d be one less video on you tube.

So some see a devious bully, i see a dad at the end of his rope that probably wishes he never bought the thing in the first place. He needs better conflict resolution skills but i’m not as incensed as some are about his poor judgement.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:43 PM

15,013 posts, read 15,847,951 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter how many times in the past he had the device taken away. Effective discipline involves teaching kids how to solve problems and take care of their responsibilities. Destroying the Xbox didn't teach the kid a thing, other than that because his dad is bigger, his dad can humiliate him. It's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or