U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 04:39 AM

27,986 posts, read 19,274,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I don't understand it. It's an outdated procedure that, aside from religious reasons, was originally performed in the west medically to keep boys from masturbating. Boys are born with foreskin, fact of biology. In the west we flip out about female circumcision, as we should. Why aren't we upset about infant boys having their foreskins removed only because that's the way it is?
Exactly right.

I believe there is a disconnect because its our culture doing it so on some level its more acceptable. People vociferously defend the practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 07:25 AM

667 posts, read 214,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why do 16-year-olds and 46-year-olds need to be circumcised? If it's a medical issue then it's understandable. If it's for cosmetic purposes, I feel sorry for them. Our American society has taught us that the penis must be surgically altered to be acceptable. Quite sad if you think about it.
+1.

There's no reason for it at all. Americans have simply gotten used to the look of a mutilated penis as being normal and uncircumcised as being ugly, weird, smelly, abnormal, gross and icky.

I remember the first time I saw an uncircumcised penis--as an art student. The model was an Indian male. It was earth shattering. Here I was, an adult practically, regarding basic human anatomy with confusion like a four year old as in, "Uh, wait...so is this like how some women have inverted nipples? Why does it look like that? I don't get it."

And then come to find out, it was just basic, normal male anatomy--normal, being the operative word. Not a fluke. Not a defect. Not wrong. Not abnormal. That's literally what it's supposed to look like.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:39 PM

2,455 posts, read 1,665,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why do 16-year-olds and 46-year-olds need to be circumcised? If it's a medical issue then it's understandable. If it's for cosmetic purposes, I feel sorry for them. Our American society has taught us that the penis must be surgically altered to be acceptable. Quite sad if you think about it.

46 year olds get circumcised for 2 reasons: 1) girlfriend/boyfriend doesn't like uncut penis; 2) phimosis of some type, now gone balanitis, most often due to diabetes.

In either event, they consent to it or it ain't done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or