U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 12:17 PM

154 posts, read 87,472 times

Advertisements

OP, I would not consider circumsizing your son only for the sake of him fitting in. As mentioned previously, the trend in the US is toward keeping boys intact. If you are uncircumcised yourself, you will be able to teach your son the proper hygiene. Just be aware, as you may not remember back that far, that the foreskin is not designed to be retractable for several years at least, and your son could be damaged if he is forcibly retracted.

My six month old son is not circumsised and it was never a question for us, but not for cultural reasons. I'll leave it at that lest I get in trouble for sharing virulent crunchy opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 12:37 PM

4,075 posts, read 2,361,758 times
If I had a son, I would NOT have him circumcised. For me to address some of the concerns of DOING so...
--It's cleaner
Then teach the child to wash that area. It sounds as arbitrary as having your wisdom teeth removed "because it's better to do so"
--Better sex
I will acknowledge that there are opinions, from both the man and woman that circumcised is better in that regard, but those are still opinions, much like those coming from the "against" camp.
--"everybody else is doing it"
Never mind cueing up the "would you jump off a bridge if everyone else did?" argument... there have been more and more people not opting it, food for thought
--religious reasons
I have none to consider. If you do, that's up to YOU to weigh in. Feel free to update this thread if you have any that you'd like to discuss
--girls like this
This is just shallow. For the ladies, would you want a guy pulling this sort of stunt on you? "I prefer women with better private parts. Please get a breast enlargement or surgery to improve the look of your genitals".

OTOH, if there are more serious medical concerns, like not being able to pull the foreskin all the way down, anticipating affecting sexual activity, then consider it and other options.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:41 PM

13,030 posts, read 7,639,097 times
This is something you need to discuss with your wife, not the internet.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:53 PM

90 posts, read 33,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It does have medical benefits. Decreases the risk of HIV and HPV. Yes, he could use a condom, and he and his partners can be immunized against HPV. But if all men used condoms, there would be no unplanned babies, so we all know how likely that is!

It definitely decreases the risk of urinary tract infection. It also eliminates the risk of infection under the foreskin. I have seen many boys who needed circumcision outside the newborn period because of repeated infections under the foreskin, too tight foreskin that interferes with erections and sexual activity, or recurrent UTIs. And I've heard from nurses in nursing homes that at the other end of life, uncircumcised men have a lot of trouble again with infections and UTIs.

Still, the likelihood is that if you don't circumcise him, he won't ever need to have it done, probably only about a 5% chance. And enough immigrant groups don't circumcise, that he won't be the only one in the high school gym class who's not circumcised. My personal recommendation is to do it, especially for the halved risk of contracting HIV if exposed.
Source of your data, please?

Old 01-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Status: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" (set 20 days ago)

30,269 posts, read 36,663,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Source of your data, please?
WHO | Male circumcision for HIV prevention

Old 01-09-2018, 02:07 PM

3,171 posts, read 3,039,439 times
I'm Jewish and we had a baby girl. Had we had a boy, I think my wife and I would have skipped the circumcision. In biblical times, it made a difference in hygiene. Same thing with pork and trichinosis, shellfish diseases, and so on. Used to be a thing. Today, not so much. Skip the clip, and let your boy decide on his own to get one when he's 18!

Old 01-09-2018, 02:40 PM

90 posts, read 33,739 times
[quote=North Beach Person;50647156]WHO | Male circumcision for HIV prevention[/QUOTE

Is it because males have 60% less sex with the altered penis?

On a serious note you quote WHO program from 2007-2010 for areas of eastern and Southern Africa with high HIV infection rates. By the way, they decided to revise this now and focus on antiviral treatments- according to your link

“Since the WHO/ UNAIDS recommendation in 2007 that medical male circumcision be considered an additional method of HIV prevention and should be rapidly scaled up in countries with low prevalence of circumcision and high prevalence of HIV, there has been considerable investment in implementing voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC) programmes for HIV prevention in eastern and southern Africa. By end 2015, 11.7 million adolescent and adult males had undergone circumcision through these programmes.
Initial projections of cost and impact of VMMC interventions were developed before the programmes were implemented at scale and based on best assumptions about the course of the HIV epidemic valid at the time of development (2007–2010). These projections need to be revised as circumcision scale-up has not been uniform between and within countries, with greater uptake among adolescent and younger men than men over age 30 years. Similarly, the future impact on HIV incidence and prevalence in focus countries must be projected according to current HIV epidemic estimates and expected declines in HIV incidence resulting from scaling up antiretroviral treatment (ART) to reach the 90 –90 –90 by 2020 and 95–95–95 by 2030 HIV testing and treatment targets.”

Old 01-09-2018, 03:02 PM
Status: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" (set 20 days ago)

30,269 posts, read 36,663,072 times
[quote=Nik4me;50647677]
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
WHO | Male circumcision for HIV prevention[/QUOTE

Is it because males have 60% less sex with the altered penis?

On a serious note you quote WHO program from 2007-2010 for areas of eastern and Southern Africa with high HIV infection rates. By the way, they decided to revise this now and focus on antiviral treatments- according to your link

“Since the WHO/ UNAIDS recommendation in 2007 that medical male circumcision be considered an additional method of HIV prevention and should be rapidly scaled up in countries with low prevalence of circumcision and high prevalence of HIV, there has been considerable investment in implementing voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC) programmes for HIV prevention in eastern and southern Africa. By end 2015, 11.7 million adolescent and adult males had undergone circumcision through these programmes.
Initial projections of cost and impact of VMMC interventions were developed before the programmes were implemented at scale and based on best assumptions about the course of the HIV epidemic valid at the time of development (2007–2010). These projections need to be revised as circumcision scale-up has not been uniform between and within countries, with greater uptake among adolescent and younger men than men over age 30 years. Similarly, the future impact on HIV incidence and prevalence in focus countries must be projected according to current HIV epidemic estimates and expected declines in HIV incidence resulting from scaling up antiretroviral treatment (ART) to reach the 90 –90 –90 by 2020 and 95–95–95 by 2030 HIV testing and treatment targets.”
Fine, you asked for a source, I gave you a source. Have they changed recommendations? Yes. At what cost for medications as opposed to a somewhat simple surgical procedure.

60% less sex? OK, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:23 PM

189 posts, read 59,395 times
Mine was, and I am glad my parents did. 10/10 would snip again.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:31 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,458,795 times
I have four sons, only the first one was circumcised. I was 16 when I had him and didn't know anything about it they just shoved this paper in front of me and said sign this. After I learned what it was and how they did it I said never again, my next 3 sons were uncircumcised and they are all happy about it now.

It is unusual to be circumcised these days, and it is horribly cruel to the child, don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or