Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,016 times

Advertisements

I highly recommend circumcision.
The baby experiences brief pain and the parents
Must carefully follow healing instructions but
It is zero issue for rest if the child's life.
It's personal preference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 09:14 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Most of the world does not circumcise and no one's penises are falling off. It's a cultural practice that is losing steam here in the USA. We chose not to circumcise after doing the research (my husband is circumcised). I also have adult family members who are not circumcised, and it does not seem to have impeded them in any way. I will say that I watched those family members go through a "dirty young teen boy" phase and that my son also went through the same phase of not wanting to shower and barely washing his hair when he was 12/13/14 years old. No problems. If boys were meant to have foreskins, they'd be born with them.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:26 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post

As for culturally -
A Saudi friend said Saudi's do get circumcised.
She said it was the Indian (India) population that doesn't. It's not a Muslim thing. It's more a cultural regional issue.
Indians Muslims circumcise. Indians of other faith do not.

@OP: Circumcising as a way of assimilation sounds weird to me, considering that a male penis spends most of it's life hidden by clothes.

If another kid HAS to bully your kid, the easiest differentiator is the color of skin (from your name, I presume you are non white, sorry if you're not). Would you have a cosmetic surgery to alter your kid's complexion too?

Assimilation with the US society should be in terms of solid work ethic, acceptance of people who come from different spheres of life and places and new ideas, and tolerance towards people.

Last edited by nirvana07; 01-13-2018 at 01:08 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I hear quite a few doctors use this line on fathers. If your son doesn't look like you, then perhaps the doctor isn't the person you should be talking to, eh?
Well, I took this line rather seriously, decided to agree with the doc and NOT circumcise my kid. He should look like me, right?

Old 01-13-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Men who were snipped in mid life say it feels better to them also, something about friction.
Can circumcised males masturbate with out using lube? Coz uncircumcised males can.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:50 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Yes exactly! But in my experience it was still an issue when I was growing up 10+ years ago. Being uncircumcised marked you as an unassimilated poorer immigrant which was not a thing to be proud of. I'm not sure if it has changed in my area or not but I get the feeling it probably hasn't.

That's why I always thought it was something very important to have done to your son to make sure he was in touch with American culture, I'm glad I posted on here though because it seems that it isn't like that in all parts of the country; maybe it's something unique to the cultural dynamics in the region where I live?

"American culture" is manifested by a lot of things, none of them concerned with what your penis looks like. Just what was your "experience" that was such an issue? You've piqued my interest. If you're talking 50 - 60 years ago, uncircumcised (up north of the Mason Dixon, HS locker room) usually meant you were a hillbilly, of Greek extraction, or born at home. So what? So, just who was looking at your penis, and exactly what caused this trauma?

The mere fact that many US parents skip the circumcision thing these days means that it isn't all that uncommon to be uncut in the US anymore, no matter what your background. In his lifetime, it'll be even more so. I say No - don't do it.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
[quote=FalconheadWest;50653238]Parents are allowed to make all decisions for there children before they are of legal age, so this will never become a thing.[/

The clitoridectomy thing (headlines of late) is just the beginning. Parents in the US will very soon not be able to do that thing without repercussion - you can be sure of that. The circumcision thing will follow. Count on it. (I can expound on this matter way more than I have but for personal reasons I'll stay mum - just take my "expert" word for it).

Circumcision is a bit more than putting pierced earrings on your 1 month old daughter of Sicilian background.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:02 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
As for "what is commonly accepted" - that changes over time. And it isn't like your son is going to walk up to people and say "Hey, I'm John. I'm not circumcised." That aspect of it really only comes into play with whomever he is going to be intimate with. And that's something they have to deal with. I've heard people I know talk about how "it is weird to have sex with their husband because they are uncircumcised." But these are people of a different generation. If the country is moving in a different direction on the topic, maybe people will be saying the same thing about circumcised men in the future. Who knows?

The only thing I'd say is a concern is the hygienic part of it. I've heard stories (secondhand obviously) of parents that chose not to circumcise getting it done a year later because of infections or something. Now, that could be due to not cleaning things properly. Maybe they don't want to get all in there and clean it for their kid. I don't know.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
My 3 year old grandson is part Phillipino where they usually wait until the kid is around 10 to do it. I think that is horrible. My son doesn't want the boy to be circumcised at all but the child's mother is pretty much for it and since the child is being raided in The Philippines, he probably will be!

Old 01-28-2018, 05:58 PM

2,309 posts, read 900,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My 3 year old grandson is part Phillipino where they usually wait until the kid is around 10 to do it. I think that is horrible. My son doesn't want the boy to be circumcised at all but the child's mother is pretty much for it and since the child is being raided in The Philippines, he probably will be!
I hope he has sone reinforcements to help him with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting