Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:34 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,786,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
That is all well and good, but this parent is advocating for getting special services due to the child's giftedness based on the fact the kid can read.
He also knows his money and can add and subtract in his head. So ya know...stop minimizing.

I'm joking in case it wasn't clear.

OP, I suggest you have your kid do one of those on line IQ assessments.

Another joke in case that wasn't clear either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 05:59 PM

554 posts, read 682,739 times
I completely understand the fear regarding boredom in school and do believe that many smart kids feel "bored" with the level of material being taught in class when they are advanced compared to their peers. That said, I think if you nurture a sense of curiosity and creativity in your child, he can learn how to find things to do when he is "bored" (especially if you get the teacher involved and allow him to bring in interesting material for when he is finished with his work - it goes a long way to help a teacher occupy a kid rather than demanding they put in the extra work to do it.) In addition, I feel like this latest generation has a significant lack of what I call "boredom tolerance." Somewhere, they got the message that if they didn't enjoy doing things or "weren't happy", they should switch jobs/schools/cities/etc. I'm all for being satisfied in your career choice, but no matter what you do for a living, there are parts of the job that are "boring" that one has to do. Boredom tolerance is not only being okay being bored, but finding a way to creatively motivate yourself with boring tasks and learning how to creatively spend down time. The harsh reality is that gifted kids often need to be self-starters in order to get the most out of public education. The teachers rarely have the time or energy to devote to one kid out of 25, so it falls on them to come up with a way to constructively pass the time. If you help your child learn how to occupy his time when he is bored (as opposed to telling him what to do when bored), you are giving him a gift that will last a long time.

As someone who has posted frequently about my own boredom in school as a kid, that's what I wish I'd been encouraged to do. I always looked to someone else to tell me what to do and if I had realized the power and choices in my own mind, I think I would have found creative ways to occupy my time - even when I was very young.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:09 PM

701 posts, read 1,707,907 times
I wouldn't assume that private schools are too expensive. Make sure you go in and talk to them. Many schools work with you to make it financially possible. If you want that option, you have to try.

As for keeping a bright kid interested in school...I found that individual teachers make the biggest difference. Our kids benefit from small private schools where teachers have the time and energy to challenge them individually. Not all of the teachers did/do, but most were fantastic. There's also the option of doing some courses online while still being in school--but I'd avoid online-only schooling since most of the elementary years are about social development.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:12 PM

834 posts, read 743,424 times
In case your still hanging around OP, I too have an incoming kindergarten boy for 2018/19.

I called our districts g&t coordinator and they would do the cogat test, but they group kids into the, "right," classroom at enrollment by giving them a short assessment anyways. Morally, I'm not sure if I like that. Gifted and high achievers go together.

We applied for an out of district school that was purely for students who are identified as gifted/talented or high achievers. They gave DS a short test and he had to score in the 95th percentile+, to get in the preferential lottery. They'll kick your kid out of they can't keep up, according to the application.

It was the KBIT2, and they have to meet that score in either verbal or nonverbal to get into the, "gifted," lottery or g&t program in our home district.

I hope if you are serious, I you've called someone but now. It put my fears at ease knowing that if I did put him in the neighborhood school, he'd get services right away. They are however limited unlike the gifted charter he'll be going to, where common core isn't used and they'll start him where he is at every subject.

You can also supplement material at home, or look for a scholarship to private school.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
I completely understand the fear regarding boredom in school and do believe that many smart kids feel "bored" with the level of material being taught in class when they are advanced compared to their peers. That said, I think if you nurture a sense of curiosity and creativity in your child, he can learn how to find things to do when he is "bored" (especially if you get the teacher involved and allow him to bring in interesting material for when he is finished with his work - it goes a long way to help a teacher occupy a kid rather than demanding they put in the extra work to do it.) In addition, I feel like this latest generation has a significant lack of what I call "boredom tolerance." Somewhere, they got the message that if they didn't enjoy doing things or "weren't happy", they should switch jobs/schools/cities/etc. I'm all for being satisfied in your career choice, but no matter what you do for a living, there are parts of the job that are "boring" that one has to do. Boredom tolerance is not only being okay being bored, but finding a way to creatively motivate yourself with boring tasks and learning how to creatively spend down time. The harsh reality is that gifted kids often need to be self-starters in order to get the most out of public education. The teachers rarely have the time or energy to devote to one kid out of 25, so it falls on them to come up with a way to constructively pass the time. If you help your child learn how to occupy his time when he is bored (as opposed to telling him what to do when bored), you are giving him a gift that will last a long time.

As someone who has posted frequently about my own boredom in school as a kid, that's what I wish I'd been encouraged to do. I always looked to someone else to tell me what to do and if I had realized the power and choices in my own mind, I think I would have found creative ways to occupy my time - even when I was very young.
I've known kids who were "bored" and got into trouble, e.g. talking to other kids in class, not paying attention, stuff like that; and I've known those who were bored who responded as above. The kid has their part in this issue too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomma View Post
I wouldn't assume that private schools are too expensive. Make sure you go in and talk to them. Many schools work with you to make it financially possible. If you want that option, you have to try.

As for keeping a bright kid interested in school...I found that individual teachers make the biggest difference. Our kids benefit from small private schools where teachers have the time and energy to challenge them individually. Not all of the teachers did/do, but most were fantastic. There's also the option of doing some courses online while still being in school--but I'd avoid online-only schooling since most of the elementary years are about social development.
I also wouldn't assume that "private" is always "better".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting