U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think celebrating a birthday monthly is too much until 1?
No 18 22.22%
Yes 63 77.78%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 04:52 PM

24,405 posts, read 28,502,080 times

Advertisements

meh. I took photos of mine each month with the same stuffed animal to show their growth. The visit or facetime to family members might be a regular occurrence anyway. Babies don't generally eat that kind of thing, but if she has the time to bake, more power to her. It's not my thing but no more trouble than any mom baking cookies or something. If she's not having a party or asking for gifts, I don't see the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 07:26 PM

347 posts, read 128,880 times
Definitely not too much! They have cute stickers now with 1 month, 2 months, First Christmas, etc. that you can include in the photo. Parents make a big deal out of the first day of school, have doors with penciled height marks, etc. I have taken plenty of photo, kept momentos, etc. of all of my kids (not just the first one)!

Old 01-10-2018, 08:45 PM

6,077 posts, read 5,098,869 times
My daughter also took a special photo of both of my grandsons every month until a year old, holding a sign that said "four months", "five months", etc.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:28 AM

10,676 posts, read 12,727,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
It's cray cray. Too much time on her hands. Poor kid is in for a rough future.
This.

Voted NO, meant YES.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:23 AM

3,183 posts, read 2,773,879 times
The anniversary cupcake is beyond what I would expect, but I acknowledged every month with my children in one way or another. The first child always gets the most attention. I made a baby scrapbook for all three kids. Each book got thinner, but all have a lot of documentation. Baby #3 had a preprinted page where you gave monthly updates. I did that. We took photos all of the time, but didn't do the mini photo shoots that some people do.

I wouldn't say anything to the mom. She will figure out it was overkill at some point.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:35 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,006,955 times
We did this for most of the monthly birthdays of my older son. I think we skipped one month because he was crying a lot and we were exhausted. I see this as a small celebration for adults who are surviving the first year. We typically drank some wine and ate a small cake from the bakery. Sometimes fruit salad when my wife got into her occasional weight losing frenzy.

For my younger daughter, we did this once or twice but then stopped. My wife just changed a sticker on the door of her room until she turned one.

Overall, not a big deal unless one overdoes it. I see this as adults celebrating their survival during the most difficult year of kid's life

Old 01-11-2018, 10:46 AM

6,943 posts, read 2,118,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qb61913 View Post
My friend has a baby. She choose to celebrate her daughters birthday monthly up until she’s 1 year old. Keep in mind that this isn’t an actually party celebration every month. She bakes a few cupcake (baby friendly cupcakes) and has a candle. Sometimes she would invite her family over and other times she would simply FaceTime her parents, so they can see their grandchild.

In addition she also dresses up her daughter in a cute outfit and takes pictures. She’s going to make a scrap book later.

Do you think celebrating the birthday monthly is overkill or is it a good idea?

The kid will get spoiled and develop the misconception that she's special. This will not lead to a happy life for her. Her relationships with men will suffer, when they don't defer to her "specialness", to the degree she thinks she is due.

I suffered for a year, in trying to have a relationship with a woman who'd been fussed-over by her extended family from birth onward. She was the only child of wealthy parents, who were in their forties when she was born. They all lavished frequent gifts on her, but she wasn't very happy and had few friends. When I came along, although I was just four years older, she thought I'd been designated to become her new sugar-daddy. I don't think she had a clue why I wouldn't do that and finally made my exit.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 01-11-2018 at 11:35 AM..

Old 01-11-2018, 10:57 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,393,143 times
Even if it was a muffin...my kids weren't on solids until 9 months. Maybe advice has changed? They started with baby food I think around 6 months? Maybe 5. But very slowly. The first time they had anything like cake was at their first birthdays. Why bother making any "cake" monthly for a baby not on solids? Put a candle on formula?

Maybe the way parents feed their babies is different then it was 10 years ago

Old 01-11-2018, 10:58 AM

640 posts, read 274,032 times
Your title is somewhat misleading. Sounds like she's doing a monthly picture through the first year which isn't overkill at all. I mean god knows I didn't have the time, but then, I took my babies on little hikes and traveled.

If I were invited to someone's five-month-birthday party though, I'd have to decline. I also did not do solids for the first 6 months, as it's not advised generally... unless your 5 month old is grabbing cupcakes and shoving them in her mouth, you probably should stick to bottles/boobies.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,393,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The kid will get spoiled and develop the misconception that she's special. This will not lead to a happy life for her. Her relationships with men will suffer, when they don't defer to her "specialness", to the degree she thinks she is due.
I don't think a baby between 1-12 months is going to get an inflated sense of importance if their mom celebrates their monthly "birthdays". You really cant over-love an infant. And they aren't going to care much looking back either. I made a baby book for my kids and they love looking at them, esp when they are feeling down. I can promise it doesn't make them feel like royalty that their mom cared enough about them to take photos and really enjoy them in their first year of life.

I think the mom in the OP's story will relax some as time goes by. Almost everyone goes a little overboard with their first baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or