U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think celebrating a birthday monthly is too much until 1?
No 18 22.22%
Yes 63 77.78%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 AM

640 posts, read 253,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The kid will get spoiled and develop the misconception that she's special. This will not lead to a happy life for her. Her relationships with men will suffer, when they don't defer to her "specialness", to the degree she thinks she is due.
Is this sarcastic? We're talking about monthly pictures of an infant here, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 11:48 AM

15,028 posts, read 12,652,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qb61913 View Post
My friend has a baby. She choose to celebrate her daughters birthday monthly up until she’s 1 year old. Keep in mind that this isn’t an actually party celebration every month. She bakes a few cupcake (baby friendly cupcakes) and has a candle. Sometimes she would invite her family over and other times she would simply FaceTime her parents, so they can see their grandchild.

In addition she also dresses up her daughter in a cute outfit and takes pictures. She’s going to make a scrap book later.

Do you think celebrating the birthday monthly is overkill or is it a good idea?
She isn't asking you to go to a party or buy gifts, correct?

How is that overkill? Really how is it your business at all? Do you evaluate everything your friends do that does not effect you as being overkill or good ideas?

Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 AM

5,133 posts, read 3,022,824 times
I think it's kind of silly, but also basically harmless as long as the mom is not asking her friends to participate in the "parties" or plastering photos around.

We have a family acquaintance who is either a professional photographer, or wishes she were one. I observed her trailing her kids (twin five-year-olds and a two-year old) around at an event with the camera. Every few minutes she'd call out to them and they'd stop what they were doing, pose and smirk for a photo. It was pretty obvious that their whole life so far had been one long photo shoot. That's where I think it gets obnoxious and possibly harmful to kids, when they have spent their whole lives thinking they're the center of attention.

But the baby birthday thing is not so bad if that's as far as it goes. Hopefully the mom eases up as the child gets older. And if one of my friends was putting up monthly "birthday" party photos of her infant on Facebook, I'd unfollow her. Not unfriend, just unfollow. It's boring to constantly be presented with photos of someone else's infant, unless you're the grandma.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 PM

7,971 posts, read 4,960,067 times
Myob.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:24 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,443,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The kid will get spoiled and develop the misconception that she's special. This will not lead to a happy life for her. Her relationships with men will suffer, when they don't defer to her "specialness", to the degree she thinks she is due.

I suffered for a year, in trying to have a relationship with a woman who'd been fussed-over by her extended family from birth onward. She was the only child of wealthy parents, who were in their forties when she was born. They all lavished frequent gifts on her, but she wasn't very happy and had few friends. When I came along, although I was just four years older, she thought I'd been designated to become her new sugar-daddy. I don't think she had a clue why I wouldn't do that and finally made my exit.
You don't seem bitter at all.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:15 PM

162 posts, read 93,889 times
My son is almost 6 months. He's my first and probably only child, and I waited a long time for him, so I am trying hard to really appreciate all of his milestones, including monthly birthdays. We do the photo with the same stuffed animal thing, because it's amazing how quickly they grow in the first year, but I didn't bother with signs or special monthly outfits. I don't think your friend is doing anything weird except for the "cupcakes" - even if they're baby-safe ingredients, babies younger than 6 months or so really aren't capable of eating stuff that solid, so it seems like a waste of time to me. But it's not likely to do any harm, and it is wonderful that she has the time and inclination to mark these special moments. The baby won't remember it, but I bet she'll appreciate being able to look back at his first year when she's older.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:05 PM

891 posts, read 596,047 times
I don't think she is doing anything wrong and it sounds like a sweet family tradition.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:09 PM

10,077 posts, read 2,887,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Monthly photos are fine, that's a pretty common thing to do because they grow so fast and it's nice to have the photos from specific dates to be able to look back at.

But an actual monthly celebration is unnecessary and over the top IMO

My thoughts exactly!

Old 01-12-2018, 08:36 AM

48,705 posts, read 48,407,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qb61913 View Post
She is a first time mom, stay at home parents with their own businesses. They are loaded and money isn’t an issue. She said she plans on doing this for all her kids. She doesn’t get professional pics, she takes it herself after she “sets” the “stage” for her daughter.

Baby friendly cupcakes she makes has no sugar, no frosting and just pure from the banana or pumpkin she uses. It’s basially like sponge cake. I don’t have the full recipe but that’s what I know. The frosting she makes is like a banana purée.

I don’t think it’s a big deal. It’s her kid. She’s not hurting anyone doing this and she’s making (documenting) memories for her family. I just was curious what others thought (that’s why I posted it here).
No, that sounds like a mom just enjoying her kid's first year. The thread title made me think it was more.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:07 PM

489 posts, read 304,261 times
Your title is quite misleading.
She isn't having a birthday every month. She's making a small treat, taking a few photos and calling her parents.

The real question to explore is: why is it bothering you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or