U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 08:45 PM

3,218 posts, read 4,565,929 times

Advertisements

There were certain elements of my childhood that were exceptional-

I got to travel a lot (internationally), I was involved in lots of wonderful extra curricular activities, I got to regularly go to the theater to see operas, musicals, ballets, plays, etc. My mother absolutely wanted the best for me...

However, I had a horrible time at school. I was a bit of a square peg and no matter how hard the teachers tried to make me fit the mold, I didn't. I was bullied relentlessly in high school and ended up rebelling against everything.

I want my children to have great opportunities in terms of extra curricular activities as I did, as well as exposure to the arts. I know that with how we stand financially, with 3 children the amount of global travel I got to experience as a child wouldn't be feasible, but hopefully we will be able to do some great trips domestically.

I really don't want them to experience bullying like I did though... I think it definitely factors somewhat into my decision to homeschool.

I don't want to shelter my children- but I don't want them going through what I did, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 09:00 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,435,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCrampsey View Post
i would say yes and no , there is a certain aspects of my childhood like not doing that well at school as i would have liked that i wouldnt want my children to repeat but also i had at park outside my home growing up so my children could play for hours on end within walking distance.
Years of emotional, mental and physical abuse by an alcoholic father and a self-centered, enabling mother, followed by virtually being abandoned to find our own fates at age 18.

Having to sink or swim made me and my siblings strong and self-sufficient, but it's still not a childhood I'd wish on anyone, in particular people I love.

Old Yesterday, 04:27 AM

910 posts, read 469,114 times
Hell, no! I was abused by a stepfather: emotionally, physically and verbally. I lived in an idyllic neighborhood, middle class, kids my age but home life was traumatic.

Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM

6,899 posts, read 3,731,929 times
While there are aspects of my childhood that I liked or even loved, it was far from ideal. I prefer to give my children a better experience.

There are family challenges but I believe the three sons of mine have it better.

Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM

1,251 posts, read 842,433 times
Absolutely, they would be very lucky.

Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

12,525 posts, read 18,393,996 times
I consciously tried to recreate a childhood similar to my own for my kids. We bought in a neighborhood with lots of children outside playing, and allowed them to roam all over town. We encouraged part-time jobs. Although we did vacation as kids,
our own went further and far more often.

The only major difference was the amount of religion in their lives. Our sons were taught the very basics and encouraged to make up their own minds as to whether or not they wanted to pursue it further.

Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM

243 posts, read 57,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCrampsey View Post
i would say yes and no , there is a certain aspects of my childhood like not doing that well at school as i would have liked that i wouldnt want my children to repeat but also i had at park outside my home growing up so my children could play for hours on end within walking distance.
Overall I had a good/very good childhood so I would say yes. Of course times were different - no iPads, cell phones, etc. - but they wouldn't miss what didn't exist!

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

19,326 posts, read 23,974,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I might be satisfied but I don't think they would be.

To clarify I think I had a very good childhood. There were ups and downs and things that some kids today would not be happy about but I had a lot of good times, laughter, love and learning lessons. I had more responsibilities than the kids do today and of course I didn't have the electronics of today so I don't think "they" would like it.

Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM

1,106 posts, read 978,538 times
No kids yet, but I don't want to raise my kids the way I was.

My childhood wasn't really bad, but wasn't great. There are a to of things I would do differently, expose my kids to more things, etc. I grew up very sheltered.

The only thing I would want though that is the same is to stay home w/ the kids like my mom did.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

10,384 posts, read 16,957,678 times
My husband and I made a conscious decision that our kids would not have the childhood either of us had. We didn't want to pass on the abuse to the next generation, as our parents had done to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting