U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

23,123 posts, read 29,259,018 times

Advertisements

I would, except for the belt-beatings my dad gave us. Those sucked. Going to school with bruises on our legs was not a rare thing. My mom used switches and those were much more tolerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

20,528 posts, read 20,730,007 times
Like others, we tried to emulate certain aspects of our childhoods and avoid others. The biggest thing for me - a military "brat" who moved frequently throughout my childhood - was that my children not be continually uprooted. We moved states when our kids were very young and once they started school, we stayed put. They've both graduated college and...we're still here. I've enjoyed seeing their childhood friends grow up as well.

Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM

11,841 posts, read 6,285,993 times
A big NO for me and one of the reasons I never reproduced. No child should have to live the nightmare I lived with two dysfunctional, abusive alcoholics.

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

1,019 posts, read 360,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCrampsey View Post
i would say yes and no , there is a certain aspects of my childhood like not doing that well at school as i would have liked that i wouldnt want my children to repeat but also i had at park outside my home growing up so my children could play for hours on end within walking distance.
Absolutely not, which is why I nearly killed myself workimg two jobs to make sure they had a childhood far better than my own.

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

12,798 posts, read 7,230,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Like others, we tried to emulate certain aspects of our childhoods and avoid others. The biggest thing for me - a military "brat" who moved frequently throughout my childhood - was that my children not be continually uprooted. We moved states when our kids were very young and once they started school, we stayed put. They've both graduated college and...we're still here. I've enjoyed seeing their childhood friends grow up as well.
My husband, who moved thirteen times as a child in a military family, feels the same way. We stayed put once our oldest entered second grade. He felt it was better for them, and I agree.

As for my childhood, aspects of it were wonderful, and I've tried to repeat those for my own children. Where there was room for improvement, I've worked on that, too.

Old Today, 08:08 AM

19,326 posts, read 23,974,512 times
Heck my stepdaughter had a much better childhood than my husband did. Lots of love, laughter, guidance, participation at school events, time, etc.. She was spoiled and had everything from family vacations, to a new car at 16, to college paid for although she didn't finish. "Now" she looks back and says she had a terrible childhood. Her biggest gripe was she had to watch her younger brother sometimes.

Each generation thinks they can do it better. Sometimes they can but not all children will see it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting