U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM

6 posts, read 1,178 times

Advertisements

i would say yes and no , there is a certain aspects of my childhood like not doing that well at school as i would have liked that i wouldnt want my children to repeat but also i had at park outside my home growing up so my children could play for hours on end within walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM

19,308 posts, read 23,965,735 times
I might be satisfied but I don't think they would be.

Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM

2,455 posts, read 1,225,399 times
Absolutely. I grew up in a small town in Ohio. My mom stayed at home and took care of 7 children. My father worked hard and supported the family financially. We knew all of our neighbors and could walk or ride our bikes all over town. A simpler life.

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

2,203 posts, read 4,534,373 times
Nope. I wouldn't have had one if I thought his would be anything like mine.

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

596 posts, read 436,095 times
No.

It was a fine and fun childhood, but I can do better for mine.

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

6,786 posts, read 15,739,134 times
No. I can offer my children a heck of a lot more than I got as a child with a poor single mom.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

10 posts, read 1,682 times
yes absolutely! Well minus the disability, we had such a fun childhood, even with working parents! Tons of freedom up through high school, hanging out with friends and family. Not tons of pressure for school and to be in a million different activities, you only did activities because you wanted too.

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

5,584 posts, read 6,674,221 times
There were many things about my childhood that I loved, but overall I'd have to say that I wouldn't want my children to grow up the same way.

Sure, it was a simpler time - relatively - when talking to your friends involved face to face communication and we were able to spend the entire weekend riding our bikes around and making up games that involved imagination rather than the ability to use a keyboard, controller, or tablet. There was little awareness of child predators, and our parents would typically kick us out of the house on Saturday morning and not expect to see us again until dinnertime. We were allowed to be children, without having to constantly be aware of any danger other than making sure that we looked both ways before crossing the street. Children weren't wrapped in bubble wrap, and we managed to survive some truly idiotic things. As a bonus, it was before cell phones so we don't have to worry about the videos resurfacing at this late date.

I grew up in a rural area, though, which was great if you were a boy - especially one who played sports (which I did until I tore up my shoulder in high school). For girls, though, the expectation was that you would graduate high school, get married, and have children - preferably in that order. Any thought of a girl going off to college in the area that I grew up in was met with some pretty strong resistance.

Considering that my childhood was cut short about the age of 15 when my stepfather got sick and I had to take over the family farm, I would definitely prefer that they avoid that situation.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

265 posts, read 94,263 times
I don’t think for anyone it is so black and white as a "yes or no" question.

I think there are things and circumstances in every person's childhood that were favorable and unfavorable.

My parents were able to financially support a middle class lifestyle and then some, but they were never involved with my siblings and myself with school activities. My husband and I strive to improve this for our children.

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

754 posts, read 434,983 times
HA! My kids couldn't HANDLE my childhood, lol.

In some ways, i had it better than they have had so far, as my parents were comparatively better off than i am now... things were simpler, we played outside with lots of friends.

But in most ways, no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting