Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you make your kids do that they don't want to do?
Go to school 40 56.34%
Go to church 23 32.39%
Go on a family vacation 23 32.39%
Go to a relative's house for holidays 29 40.85%
Do chores 58 81.69%
Do homework 41 57.75%
Eat what is cooked 44 61.97%
Other 18 25.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 03:57 PM

50 posts, read 190,544 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up, my parents made me do things that I didn't want to do. They made me go to school, do my homework, do the dishes, go to my aunt's house on Christmas, go to church on Sunday, and spend time with my family. My parents were authoritarian. They were my parents, not my friends. I also didn't get to choose my own dinner. I had to eat whatever my parents cooked.

Do you make your kids do things they don't want to do and/or go places they don't want to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 04:08 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
My kids don't fuss about school or church or going to see family. They do fuss about homework and chores. I do make them do those things. As far as food...I am not a restaurant nor do I put out a menu. They will eat what is put in front of them whether they like it or not. Oldest son, 11, doesn't care for this but he has learned that he can either eat or miss the meal. Its his choice.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:58 PM

841 posts, read 4,838,640 times
I hate cooking anyway, so when I do put in the effort, I expect my kids to eat it! They know the rule...if they don't eat it for dinner, it becomes their snack before bedtime. That gets them to eat it for dinner!

Old 03-21-2008, 05:13 PM

269 posts, read 811,736 times
Good thread to start. First off, neither of my kids have any problem in doing things I tell them to do EXCEPT () eating! They are horrible when it comes to eating and I think since they obey at everything else, someone up there thought it would be funny to even that out with their refusal to eat.

My daughter's 4 and my son's 7. And they both take at least an hour (usually more) to finish a tiny plate of food at dinner. Whether it's what I want them to eat, or I made them what THEY wanted to eat, they still never finish their food.

So what did I start doing? I started putting half the food on their plate. Soooo... what do you think they started doing? Eating half of that! lol. (Not funny though when it's happening)

They have no problem with anything else though (except homework with my son, he has ADHD that's a whole different topic lol). They do their chores, clean up, etc... just can't get the boogers to eat.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
School was mandatory, church was mandatory. Ditto homework and chores. Don't do them, get punished. Have a fit, get a whuppin.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:05 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slove1106 View Post
Good thread to start. First off, neither of my kids have any problem in doing things I tell them to do EXCEPT () eating! They are horrible when it comes to eating and I think since they obey at everything else, someone up there thought it would be funny to even that out with their refusal to eat.

My daughter's 4 and my son's 7. And they both take at least an hour (usually more) to finish a tiny plate of food at dinner. Whether it's what I want them to eat, or I made them what THEY wanted to eat, they still never finish their food.

So what did I start doing? I started putting half the food on their plate. Soooo... what do you think they started doing? Eating half of that! lol. (Not funny though when it's happening)

They have no problem with anything else though (except homework with my son, he has ADHD that's a whole different topic lol). They do their chores, clean up, etc... just can't get the boogers to eat.
I have never forced any of my kids to eat anything they did not want to eat on their plate BUT it was known that if they did not clean the plate, dessert and snacks were off limits for that night. I really did not have a problem. All mine actually liked Brussel Sprout and Spinach.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:10 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBadget View Post
Do you make your kids do things they don't want to do and/or go places they don't want to go?
First, my mom didn't really make me do a whole lot. I had to go to school, but if I really didn't want to, or it was rainingl, or she wanted to take us places, well that was more important than school. Chores were looked at the same way. Once in a while she'd asked me or my sibilings to do something, and if we baulked at it we'd get into trouble. For me, eating wasn't an issue cuz I had such severe allergies that I couldn't eat most things till I was a pretty big kid. So that kinda thing didn't happen with me. We didn't go to church, and we never went to see family that we didn't all love. There were plenty of things I was told to do, an I got into trouble for whinging about it or not doing it.

Now, for my kids, it's a little different. They are homeschooled, so they don't have to go to school, but they do have to do certain school-work. Sometimes they give me grief, sometimes they don't. chores is usually not something they want to do, but once they get started they do it with little argument. We still don't go to see family that we all don't like, so that's not an issue, and we still don't go to church.

This brings me to food! LOL! When they babies, both of my boys would eat just about anything they could get their hands on. My youngest, was always eating, both hands full and eating stuff off the table in front of him. I have a picture of him at 1 1/2, sitting on a table, both hands full of food, cheeks popping of food, and his auntie and grandma with forks ready for him to eat.

Then he turned 4, and wouldn't eat anything! for a while I cooked different things for the adults, and each of my boys got what they wanted. Then they started eating more than me, so they had to choke down the food I made them LOL! After a year or so of makig them at least TRY other food, they started liking it. Now, both boys, 14 & 12, will eat just about anything that I make for them. So it has worked out nicely.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:13 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slove1106 View Post
My daughter's 4 and my son's 7. And they both take at least an hour (usually more) to finish a tiny plate of food at dinner. They do their chores, clean up, etc... just can't get the boogers to eat.
Just keep trying to get them to eat things. Make them try one bit of something they don't like before they can eat something they do. It really does work. AFTER all the problems I had to deal with my boys on eating, and figuring out that I was just going to make them try stuff until they liked it, I saw a show on Discovery Health. "The Truth About Food" and they did a huge study on kids in England regarding just that. And they were able to prove that if you keep making a kid try something every day, then they will eventually like it or eventually eat it anyway! LOL! Very interesting show though.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
School was mandatory, church was mandatory. Ditto homework and chores. Don't do them, get punished. Have a fit, get a whuppin.
LOL!! It's the same at my house! You will do what you are told to do. You go to school, do your homework, do your chores (in that order) and THEN you can play.
On Sunday you go to Sunday School. I don't care if you don't want to, it's one hour a week and it's the right thing to do. You can decide for yourself if you want to continue going after you move out of my house. Usually they enjoy church.
My husband is a real stickler for finishing your meal. Don't finish dinner, go to your room for the rest of the night, and no snacks! Your choice. Everyone eats whatever I make, and no, you aren't putting ketchup on that nice steak/roast!! LOL!!!

We are the meanest parents ever!!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:42 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Just keep trying to get them to eat things. Make them try one bit of something they don't like before they can eat something they do. It really does work. AFTER all the problems I had to deal with my boys on eating, and figuring out that I was just going to make them try stuff until they liked it, I saw a show on Discovery Health. "The Truth About Food" and they did a huge study on kids in England regarding just that. And they were able to prove that if you keep making a kid try something every day, then they will eventually like it or eventually eat it anyway! LOL! Very interesting show though.
I think I saw that. It was interesting. I'm pretty lucky, my kids are not that picky. They eat green veggies, they even like asparagus! I have stopped allowing them to put ketchup on everything, though, and that was tough for about a month. Now they don't even ask or want it! They've realised the meat does taste pretty good without it. But they are now 9, 10, & 11. They're too old for that now. My hubby told them that ketchup is for hot dogs and burgers, maybe chicken tenders. NOT a nice piece of meat like steaks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting