U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 02:56 PM

34,191 posts, read 32,772,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
There could be something to this. One of them is on Facebook mommy groups all day and she seems to spend a good amount of time trying to prove how she is the best mom and the others are terrible
Guess who's gonna raise the next generation of "mean girls"?

All this talk about stopping bullying will be worthless as long as there are moms who behave this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 02:59 PM

552 posts, read 414,638 times
I’ve been in several playgroups since I’ve been a SAHM and I can’t relate to this at all. I’ve heard wives, in general, complain about their husbands but it’s usally when we all go out and share war stories. But it was always in fun and it has never been rampant.

Friends like to share their daily experiences. So if a group of moms get together and share their stories, then is it really complaining? My friends who work tell me about their work drama but it’s not necessarily to complain but rather to share what they are going through. Also, it’s not the only thing topic covered but one of many.

I don’t know. I guess I could just talk people’s ear off about how great my life is, but then there would be a “why do SAHMS brag so much about their life”.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:00 PM

8,144 posts, read 4,126,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Fun times? Mom's groups? A whole day of baby & me; lalalala?

I woke up on a different planet. Late.
I was beginning to think it was just me. Once the third one came along, I pretty much spent every day shoveling <bleep> against the tide.

Last edited by Miss Blue; Today at 07:04 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 03:11 PM

4,582 posts, read 2,532,227 times
SAHM's often get stuck with a lot of boring, repetitive drudge work which is unfulfilling. While spending more time with the children can be fun and fulfilling, it can also be exhausting and demanding. Children in the home 24 hrs/day make a lot of messes and require a lot of constant attention! There may be a tendency for these marriages to be more traditional, where the husband never relieves her by taking on some of the childcare in the evening or on weekends. There may not be money for or a belief in using babysitters so she can get away at times.

The happiest SAHMs I've known were rather affluent. They had housekeepers, babysitters as desired, tutors and music teachers for the children, gardeners, etc. In other words they didn't actually stay at home all the time, but rather simply didn't work. They spent a lot of time shopping!

Old 01-22-2018, 03:22 PM

12,543 posts, read 18,464,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
SAHM's often get stuck with a lot of boring, repetitive drudge work which is unfulfilling. While spending more time with the children can be fun and fulfilling, it can also be exhausting and demanding. Children in the home 24 hrs/day make a lot of messes and require a lot of constant attention! There may be a tendency for these marriages to be more traditional, where the husband never relieves her by taking on some of the childcare in the evening or on weekends. There may not be money for or a belief in using babysitters so she can get away at times.

The happiest SAHMs I've known were rather affluent. They had housekeepers, babysitters as desired, tutors and music teachers for the children, gardeners, etc. In other words they didn't actually stay at home all the time, but rather simply didn't work. They spent a lot of time shopping!
The happiest SAHMs I know were not particularly affluent. What they (we) had was the support of each other. Our kids were friends, and that made it easy for us moms to take an occasional break while another mother kept the kids for a few hours. Together we took many day trips. It was honestly among the happiest years of my life, and I appreciated the opportunity to stay home while my kids were young. I doubt I would feel the same if I was alone and isolated.

Interestingly enough though, once our kids got a bit older and were in school full time, every single mother in my group of friends went back to work, myself included.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:24 PM

4,530 posts, read 4,222,480 times
Bored.
Bitter.
Too much time on their hands.
And the other reasons you mentioned.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:25 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,151,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I think it has to do with being fulfilled and happy with the life they chose. It goes both ways. I know SAHMs who absolutely love it and have never wanted to go back to work and others who hate it and resent their husband for not letting them go back. I also know working moms in both boats. Heck not just moms but dads too.
Yeah. I really hated going back to work full time after being a SAHD for so long. It took me 2, maybe 3 years before I finally settled back in to the work routine. But it was necessary for the family and the timing was right, so I saw it through.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:17 PM

394 posts, read 138,056 times
Probably boredom. My sister is a working mom and while she loves her kids to death, she was going positively stir crazy during her maternity leave. I don't think everyone's cut out to be at home all day, and the ones who aren't are likely the ones doing most of the complaining.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:39 PM

171 posts, read 124,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I was beginning to think it was just me. Once the third one came along, I pretty much spent every day shoveling<bleep> against the tide.
Seriously, moms groups? um no, library story time - sure but yawn

Everyone needs to vent at some point and I don't hear the SAHM's doing so anymore than anyone else.

Last edited by Miss Blue; Today at 07:06 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 PM

3,541 posts, read 1,408,786 times
Op. Your observations are spot on.

I tend to give short time to a kept person . I figure they got a limited awareness of how blessed they are.
My dil doesn't complain..she loves her kids and knows how being a parent doesn't have to be yelling or smacking. She is tender and has an orderly schedule for the little ones. Maybe she is the exception. She accentuates the good moments with the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting