U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 05:09 PM

304 posts, read 91,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
2 siblings, similar age but one is clearly smarter, more diligent, more blessed as far as appearance goes and has a winning personality. A clear case of a long term winner vs someone who unless he is proverbially kicked in the butt regularly will amount to mediocrity at best.

How can anyone even give the impression of liking both equally?

How to motivate the loser?
Give up trying to motivate the "loser" you don't have control over other people. You might lead by example but your example might just have the opposite effect on your target. Instead of motivating them just try to be supportive. Not everyone marches to the same drum and you really can't tell which beat is the more worthwhile one.

You never know what is inside a person or what they are capable of. Just be optimistic that when the chips are down they could surprise you. The smarter, more diligent and good looking sibling might walk past someone having a heart attack on the street for some reason. Maybe they don't have time or don't want to engage with "regular" people. The second sibling, being less diligent might not care if they are late (or even miss) work to stop and help someone in distress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 05:57 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,160,656 times
You have been offered some solid wisdom in previous threads.

I am a mother of three children- my sons are 4 and 3 (11 months apart- 'Irish' twins). Despite being so close in age, and about the same height, they've got very different personalities.

It isn't about labeling one child a winner and one child a loser- it is about finding where their individual strengths and talents lie.

Treat each child like the unique individual they are- help both of them discover what they're good at and praise them accordingly.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:31 PM

17,522 posts, read 21,701,503 times
Quote:
2 siblings, similar age but one is clearly smarter, more diligent, more blessed as far as appearance goes and has a winning personality. A clear case of a long term winner vs someone who unless he is proverbially kicked in the butt regularly will amount to mediocrity at best.

I'd start by NOT calling one of them a "loser".

Old 01-24-2018, 07:31 PM

24,467 posts, read 28,688,010 times
Quote:

I sincerely hope you are a troll looking for a reaction and not a parent.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:27 PM

7,640 posts, read 5,389,878 times
Quote:

WOW! Are you the parent?

If you are, YOU are tying one of your kids hands behind his back

Old 01-24-2018, 10:04 PM

8,122 posts, read 5,681,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'd start by NOT calling one of them a "loser".
Definitely. But harsh language and seemingly bad parenting aside, the overall question is a valid one. Our society tends to think everyone is equal, just in different ways. The thing is we are all a genetic crap shoot and there is nothing in biology that says we are all equal. Some people are born with brains and athleticism and some are born with neither. It stands to reason some are born losers in terms of genetics.

The environment of the home can help overcome the genetics. I think parents should be realistic about their kids and then parent to the individual kid's abilities. And every kid can be taught a strong work ethic, regardless of genetics. But to tell a kid he/she is a loser is to probably guarantee it.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:27 PM

14,899 posts, read 16,479,982 times
Since the parent has already defined one of their children as a loser, the parent has doomed that child to mediocrity. Poor kid.

Chances are, the parent has a predefined criteria of what constitutes talent, and the "loser" child simply doesn't fit.

Hopefully the "loser" child has the will and fortitude to acheive what constitutes success by their own definition without any support form their loser parent.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:10 AM

3,964 posts, read 2,954,107 times
They're the product of your genes and your parenting so I suppose I'd start by looking inward. Maybe some self-improvement is in order.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:25 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,000,575 times
I'm really hoping that you aren't the parent.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:33 AM

3,981 posts, read 1,761,357 times
You don’t change other people.

You change you.

So what if you don’t like him? You don’t have to like everybody. Maybe he doesn’t like you much either.

You already know you need to “give the impression you like them equally”. Now do it. Or GTFO.

If you fail at this you’ll screw them both up; are you a grown man? Or some shrieking pageant queen swooning with emotion? Control yourself.

I think you can do this. I’d like to see you look back at this thread in a year & say “I can’t believe how I was thinking!”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting