U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 10:50 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,734,626 times

Advertisements

What I want most for my children is that they grow up to be good kind people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 11:37 AM

7,650 posts, read 7,417,569 times
Quote:
The other person wrote: Multimillionaire many times over, Oscar winning famous artists. What mess? I'd rather be this then a faithful trapped in an unhappy life with petty middle class money concerns".

Everyone has problems or makes mistakes. Even a regular person in a middle class life can have some serious skeletons in the closet.

I don't see how having money makes it easy to overlook such morality issues. My ultimate goal Is for my children to have an excellent moral compass. If they happen to have a few million in the bank, and are outstanding citizens, even better.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:32 PM

1,180 posts, read 393,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
The other person wrote: Multimillionaire many times over, Oscar winning famous artists. What mess? I'd rather be this then a faithful trapped in an unhappy life with petty middle class money concerns".
I really hate comments like this. It is incredibly shallow and shows they know nothing about being a human being. Because the only things that matter in life is material wealth? So he has an Oscar. After awhile, looking at it will get boring. Then what? He has money. Well, after awhile, spending it will get boring too. Material things are just temporary happiness and will get boring.

What keeps life interesting is your relationships with people. We all need human connection. We can't get that with mansions, supercars, and money at all.

A-list celebrities are still human with the same relationship and emotional problems as regular people like you and me.

To answer OP's questions, I'd rather be middle class but with a clear head emotionally than with all the money in the world and emotionally miserable.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:19 PM

2,949 posts, read 998,324 times
My grandma always said "your name is all you really have". When people hear my name, I don't want it associated with bad things.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:26 PM

366 posts, read 110,699 times
I'd be mortified if I had two sons who both grew up to be cheating, harrassing, disrespectful morons. And I say that as fans of a lot of the work of the Afflecks. Upstanding men, they are not.

As long as my kid is self-sufficient money-wise, being a decent human being is way more important than anything.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:57 PM

8,059 posts, read 2,122,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I want my kids to be honest, moral and sympathetic human beings who can support themselves financially and are happy with their lives and the choices they've made.

And I don't think that being rich or well off (however one defines that) automatically means you are free of worry with regards to your job.

Well said!!

Old 01-26-2018, 10:48 PM

12,438 posts, read 7,846,081 times
I have twin sons, now in their mid 40's, and I could not be more proud of the way they turned out. They are honest to a fault, hard working, kind, loyal, and considerate of others. It must have been their mom's influence, because I will occasionally take a short cut, but they insist on doing things the right way or no way. They would not cheat someone out of a penny if their lives depended on it.

Every once in a while they will say "Dad.........you REALLY can't do something like that !"

Old 01-28-2018, 09:59 AM

19,112 posts, read 22,430,960 times
This is not an either or question. There is no reason why a well raised child who is honest and personable can not grow up to be prosperous. In fact a well raised child is much more likely to end up prosperous than a child with parents who didn't pay enough attention.

Actor types often come from disfunctional families with a parent who pushed them very hard to excel in an area that doesn't build a well rounded personality. The behavior of sports stars and movie stars and top musicians often stems from a background that was not stable.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:55 PM
Status: "There is no future in time travel." (set 5 days ago)

2,290 posts, read 2,772,729 times
I want them to be happy, decent people doing something with their lives that they love surrounded by people they love.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:58 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,557,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I want my kids to be honest, moral and sympathetic human beings who can support themselves financially and are happy with their lives and the choices they've made.

And I don't think that being rich or well off (however one defines that) automatically means you are free of worry with regards to your job.

Also - I don't believe either of those men are well respected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting