Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:08 AM

140 posts, read 142,912 times

Advertisements

I am concerned my child is suffering from this. I've done some research online but still, many questions remain. More, I'd like to share what I'm seeing in my child and learn more about ADD. Please excuse any verbiage I use, as I am writing my observations (it is not my intent to offend anyone).

I used to chalk up a lot of stuff to just "being a boy", as other parents termed it. But, it was suggested by my friend that ADD could be a possibility.

I think what I see most is that my son will ask a question and I'll answer him. Then, a little bit later, he'll ask the same question.
Also, if we give a short list (2-3 tasks he should do in succession), not all get addressed.
The one part I do not understand is that he is laser focused when he wants to: watching TV, playing video games, assembling Legos. That's why it kinda seems like a behavioral judgement call, to me. In other words, doctors can't take a blood sample or swab and test it definitively against anything.

Also, I'm wondering if I had it all along. I was great at playing; but, not working (during my school years). I think the Bugs Bunny/Warner Bros. cartoon, of the boy who constantly daydreamed really resonated with me. But, here is where I don't know where the line is drawn between boredom vs. your mind constantly thinking. As I grew, this presented more with me waking up, immediately coming up with a problem to solve or planning a list of productive things I could do - thus, not going back to sleep [easily]. I try to use my "experience" to talk to him and share my own ideas, suggestions. But, it has not been met with success.

I'm waiting to hear his teacher's feedback.
Then, I'll take him to his pediatrician for a consult.

But, if you are willing to share your experiences and plan of action, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 09:27 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,728,895 times
Your school district should be able to run the tests free of charge. My school district wanted an ADHD diagnosis really bad with my son so they could give him extra attention legally. They ran a bunch of tests, including IQ, and just found that he's a "genius" with ODD, no ADHD. There's nothing the school can do for 504 services with ODD.

They asked me to take him somewhere else to "get the diagnosis". I refused. They wanted him medicated just to medicate him. He's 7, in 1st grade. He's a challenge. We all brain storm all the time to try to have more ideas. He has a high-schooler that comes over once a week for 30 minutes to give him attention and do whatever he wants, but that's 1 day a week...

Your pediatrician isn't going to be able to diagnose it, only make a guess. Many things look like ADD and ADHD. I knew my son wasn't ADHD because he knows how to focus when he wants, like your son. He can build, and break, and paint, and do just about any activity he wants with full focus... except house work, chores, and school work...

Old 01-22-2018, 11:33 AM

924 posts, read 1,667,532 times
How old is he?

Honestly, from what you have posted, it doesn't sound like ADHD. It's more like he's just choosing to tune out when he is asked to take care of a few things he doesn't want to do. How is he at staying on task with just one thing?

Old 01-22-2018, 12:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,063,700 times
Laser focusing on certain things is a sign of ADHD. My son does the same thing. He's been like that his whole life. He used to stare at the TV, and I couldn't get his attention. Now it is youtube videos. He has trouble focusing on other things like school work. He can watch a succession of short videos, but can't concentrate on a full length movie. He has trouble following multi-step directions.

If you have the money, you might want to pay for private testing. It will be more comprehensive than what the school district would probably do.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:13 PM

15,978 posts, read 20,964,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Your pediatrician isn't going to be able to diagnose it, only make a guess. Many things look like ADD and ADHD. I knew my son wasn't ADHD because he knows how to focus when he wants, like your son. He can build, and break, and paint, and do just about any activity he wants with full focus... except house work, chores, and school work...
A pediatrician can diagnose it the same way the school does, by asking the right questions and soliciting observations from teachers, coaches, family members, etc. It's not some wild guess made in one visit to the doctor's office.
Contrary to popular opinion kids with ADD can focus on things that interest them
https://www.additudemag.com/understa...hd-hyperfocus/

Quote:
Originally Posted by enTERPRising View Post
Also, if we give a short list (2-3 tasks he should do in succession), not all get addressed.
This is how my adhd son was/is.My son did not do well with the medication so we took him off and worked with his teachers to address his needs. For example if he had a book report due the teacher would break it down he would be 'assigned' one or two steps at a time. Making sure he sat near the teachers desk, having the teacher touch his shoulder to get his attention, letting him hand out papers or supplies or erase the board or straighten the bookshelves, all little things that helped get him through the day and stay mostly on track.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
A pediatrician can diagnose it the same way the school does, by asking the right questions and soliciting observations from teachers, coaches, family members, etc. It's not some wild guess made in one visit to the doctor's office.
Contrary to popular opinion kids with ADD can focus on things that interest them
https://www.additudemag.com/understa...hd-hyperfocus/

This is how my adhd son was/is.My son did not do well with the medication so we took him off and worked with his teachers to address his needs. For example if he had a book report due the teacher would break it down he would be 'assigned' one or two steps at a time. Making sure he sat near the teachers desk, having the teacher touch his shoulder to get his attention, letting him hand out papers or supplies or erase the board or straighten the bookshelves, all little things that helped get him through the day and stay mostly on track.
Not in my experience.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Not in my experience.
Maybe it's different now, my son was asked to perform a series of tasks at the doctor's office AND I was handed a stack of questionnaires to give to pretty much anyone and everyone he spent time with AND there was some sort of observation journal I was supposed to fill out and bring back after several weeks. Then there was the follow up visit with a psychiatrist for confirmation and discussion of meds.

Oh, or are you talking about the teachers? We were mostly blessed in that area, and had an IEP for the ADHD, but ADHD was a lot less common then I think

Old 01-22-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's different now, my son was asked to perform a series of tasks at the doctor's office AND I was handed a stack of questionnaires to give to pretty much anyone and everyone he spent time with AND there was some sort of observation journal I was supposed to fill out and bring back after several weeks. Then there was the follow up visit with a psychiatrist for confirmation and discussion of meds.

Oh, or are you talking about the teachers? We were mostly blessed in that area, and had an IEP for the ADHD, but ADHD was a lot less common then I think
My experience has been that the school/teachers will not recommend testing (except maybe in the most extreme cases), you have to ask for it; They will test, but not diagnose. I expressed concern to our pediatrician, and wasn't really given any advice at all, let alone a diagnosis. After I finally got private testing done and a diagnosis, I went to the pediatrician for meds. There I was given the questionnaire for parents and for teachers. We've used it when going on and off or switching meds, but not to get a diagnosis.

Maybe I didn't ask the right questions, or maybe I wasn't persistent enough. I don't know. I got the most help from other moms who had already been through it.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:54 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,956,115 times
Quote:

This was pretty much our experience as well, when my youngest was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD. It wasn't an overnight quickie, that's for sure.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
My experience has been that the school/teachers will not recommend testing (except maybe in the most extreme cases), you have to ask for it; They will test, but not diagnose. I expressed concern to our pediatrician, and wasn't really given any advice at all, let alone a diagnosis. After I finally got private testing done and a diagnosis, I went to the pediatrician for meds. There I was given the questionnaire for parents and for teachers. We've used it when going on and off or switching meds, but not to get a diagnosis.

Maybe I didn't ask the right questions, or maybe I wasn't persistent enough. I don't know. I got the most help from other moms who had already been through it.
That is pretty close to my experience, the one teacher 'suggested' testing and the 'official diagnosis' came from the psychiatrist the pediatrician sent us to see. Back then there weren't nearly as many kids with ADHD, so not a lot of moms to talk to for me, I pretty much had to put on my Mama Bear mode and go with it, lol
(plus my pediatrician was wonderful and very willing to address all of my concerns over the years, none of this dismissive in and out of the room in under 10 minutes like many doctors do now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting