Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 07:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

For me it is depression. Three of my kids suffer from sometimes debilitation depression/anxiety. I do not see any other challenges for them they cannot overcome, but this horrible disease(?) scares the crop out of me.

Violence, drinking, driving, dating, extreme sports, and other dangerous activities do not cause me much worry. They are well equipped to handle these issues and seem to mange them, but when extreme depression hits, they have no way to manage it. It scares me constantly. It seems like more kids are effected by depression and anxiety than ever before. Virtually all of our kid's roommates are on medication for depression and/or anxiety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 07:52 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
That would be scary, coldjensens.
I worry about two of the four grown kids. One is a Green Beret, and I worry he’ll get killed or injured.
The other was both physically and mentally injured in the military. He’s just coming out of a comprehensive program to get him back on track, but if it doesn’t work, there is nothing else to try.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:53 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Depression is horrid, sorry your kids suffer Mine is still young but I worry about mental health issues when she's older because of her dad (he has severe issues) so I guess that puts her at an increased risk of having them herself.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:18 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
I worry about depression too. But I mostly worry about them making stupid mistakes that will damage the rest of their lives. Not even really drugs and drinking but not putting enough effort into school so that they miss golden opportunities that will improve their lives. That's definitely a projection on my part because I now have the benefit (??) of hindsight. I see how my own mistakes messed up my adult life.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:31 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I worry about depression and anxiety for my daughter too. She had a very rough first semester in college--off-the-charts homesick. This semester hasn't started out all that well, either.

I also worry that she won't marry and have a family because she's an only child and I think she's too emotionally dependent on us. I want her to be able to focus on her own family family some day. I guess that's not actually a worry as much as it is a fervent hope.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:03 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I can honestly say that my days ( and nights) of worrying are behind me. I was the mother who couldn't sleep until all three of her sons had returned home at night, long into their early 20s. I looked forward to them being away at school, realistically I knew they could come to more harm then, but I only lost sleep over the school breaks. Now that they're in their mid to late 20s, I sleep very well.

My husband is the worrier in our house, and he does more than enough for the two of us.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:14 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
I worry about my youngest son because his beautiful, sweet wife has terminal cancer. They have a toddler, my little grandson.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:22 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Depression and anxiety. Absolutely.

Our kids are good kids. We're a close family. I see what they stress over and worry about and I don't recall those same concerns when I was a young adult. I don't remember feeling as though one bad decision or one misstep could ruin my life. There's not a lot of leeway anymore. There's a lot of pressure to be perfect, to know what you want, how you're going to get there and to have the confidence and resume to beat out the 100 (Or more) others vying for the same thing. And if you don't, the alternative is "do you want fries with that?" I just don't remember it being that tough to get started.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:48 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times
The one decision that can't be undone and could derail a young person is having a baby too young. It's hard to finish college, save money, and prosper when you have children early.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:02 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Mental health issues. My son has anxiety and I suspect OCD and it concerns me. And my daughter is LBGT and although she seems mentally healthy now, I do worry about her mental health in the future, because LGBT youth are at greater risk for depression/substance abuse/suicide than their heterosexual peers.

I’m also worried about impaired driving and driving with teens in general. It seems as though there are serious or deadly accidents here all the time and there’s so much that can distract teens (and adults) while driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting