U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2008, 02:39 PM

25,257 posts, read 31,524,659 times

Advertisements

ALABASTER, Alabama (Reuters) - Underage criminals cannot face the death penalty in the United States but dozens of offenders imprisoned for crimes committed when they were young teenagers will still die behind bars.

Dozens of children in U.S. face life in prison | U.S. | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 06:46 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,893,609 times
It does not matter to me when they do the crime. Anybody over 12 knows right from wrong. In fact most people under 12 know it is not right to kill people. Do the crime, do the time. And the article is not going to make most people say "oh these poor kids". Here is just a small snippet of it:

One night in August 1999, Jones and her 16-year-old boyfriend, Geramie Hart, angered by her family's disapproval of their relationship, went to her home in Birmingham, Alabama. They set her grandfather on fire with lighter fluid, stabbed him and shot him dead.

They also stabbed and shot dead Jones' aunt in her bedroom and set her grandmother on fire.

Jones' 10-year-old sister, Mary, was asleep in bed but they dragged her to the kitchen to see the attack on her family.

The article then goes on to mention they stabbed the 10 year old but she managed to live somehow. Are these REALLY the kind of folks we are supposed to have sympathy for? I hope to God that neither of these people ever walk free again.

Last edited by KevK; 03-22-2008 at 07:04 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 PM

6,999 posts, read 10,939,681 times
Yeah, but but but, the internet and TV has corrupted their poor minds!

Sympathy is not something you are going to find from me.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:39 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,564,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It does not matter to me when they do the crime. Anybody over 12 knows right from wrong. In fact most people under 12 know it is not right to kill people. Do the crime, do the time. And the article is not going to make most people say "oh these poor kids". Here is just a small snippet of it:

One night in August 1999, Jones and her 16-year-old boyfriend, Geramie Hart, angered by her family's disapproval of their relationship, went to her home in Birmingham, Alabama. They set her grandfather on fire with lighter fluid, stabbed him and shot him dead.

They also stabbed and shot dead Jones' aunt in her bedroom and set her grandmother on fire.

Jones' 10-year-old sister, Mary, was asleep in bed but they dragged her to the kitchen to see the attack on her family.

The article then goes on to mention they stabbed the 10 year old but she managed to live somehow. Are these REALLY the kind of folks we are supposed to have sympathy for? I hope to God that neither of these people ever walk free again.
I totally agree with KevK. Keep them locked up. If they are this bad at 16, there's no telling how much worse they'll be as they get older. We have to start punishing criminals instead of making excuses for their behavior. It's sickening and I do not feel any sympathy for them at all.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:34 PM

738 posts, read 1,241,570 times
People and kids should be held accountable for their actions. PERIOD.
The laws and courts should be consistent in all of our states.
Perplexing to me is the inconsistencies from one case to the next.

Make it completely clear-plain English-nothing hidden-no surprises-consistent- no exceptions to the law...

Example:
Rob someone (unarmed)- 10 years-full term-no probation
rob someone (armed)- 20 years-full term-no probation

Murder, rape, molest, abuse - LIFE- full term- no probation

Build more jails-prisons-but treat them as such. No tv-no books- no perks- they deserve nothing more than to rot in that cell-alone-
There is NO FEAR of punishment anymore-

get out on good behavior, 1/2 of sentence, molester walks, drug dealer gets life but brutal murderer gets 10 years....it goes on and on and on and on.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting