U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 09:31 AM

737 posts, read 306,291 times

Advertisements

The OP, who seems to have disappeared, did say the doctor only focuses on her weight and the parents talking to her about possible diabetes and heart disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 09:52 AM

10,972 posts, read 15,146,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
The OP, who seems to have disappeared, did say the doctor only focuses on her weight and the parents talking to her about possible diabetes and heart disease.
Which would be enough to push even a well-adjusted kid over the anxiety edge.

As a kid, I stress ate due to anxiety. My parents' solution to this was forcing me to test my blood sugar starting in elementary school, hemming and hawing about how my eating habits would lead to diabetes and heart disease. All it did was make me more anxious and make me eat and horde food more.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:14 PM

14,512 posts, read 13,827,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Which would be enough to push even a well-adjusted kid over the anxiety edge.

As a kid, I stress ate due to anxiety. My parents' solution to this was forcing me to test my blood sugar starting in elementary school, hemming and hawing about how my eating habits would lead to diabetes and heart disease. All it did was make me more anxious and make me eat and horde food more.
OMG! What crappy parents.

Old Today, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,299 times
Default Follow up!

I'm here! This has been my first experience in a forum and I was expecting an e-mail if I received any responses. So my apologize for going absent! I was reading through all of these responses, which I greatly appreciate you all taking the time to write.

For starters: She is the youngest of 4 children, all about 4 years apart. The older 3 kids have had little to none for learning struggles or social anxieties. That's part of why I'm reaching out and so worried, because this is the first time we've ever had these concerns. There has never been a traumatic event or any worry of any type of abuse at home or elsewhere. Just want to clear that up right away.

I did ask for a phone conference with her teacher and expressed how concerning this is all becoming and how worried I am about her entering middle school next year. He was much more understanding and empathetic than I figured he would be. I am now in communication with him every school day; he's agreed to send me sort of progress reports, if there were any set backs or gains and tells me what he sent with her for homework. So far, so good with the assignments being completed and turned in and her focusing more on timelines and wanting to meet homework goals. Sometimes he will send home an extra worksheet if she is struggling with a particular math topic, which certainly helps when she's feeling anxious about not understanding.

Also, the teacher brought up that there is a school psychologist (wasn't aware there was one for the school, came from a small town, all we had was a nurse to check for head lice and take our temps) about some screening for certain learning disabilities and behavior issues. We've been in brief communication so far but I have been filling our some screening forms and hope to get some feedback on that soon.

We have started seeing a new pediatrician. Within a whole different clinic system. She is overweight for her age and height. She's had one test so far to start monitoring her sugar levels. Not sure why her appetite is so big constantly, wondering if it's medically related or if its just a nervous/anxious behavior reflex. Hopefully we will get to the bottom of it in the near future. This doctor seems very knowledgeable of this topic so I am very grateful to have found her.

Again, thank you all so much for the input and advice and I am praying and hoping to a brighter and healthier future for my daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting