U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 08:31 AM

736 posts, read 378,619 times

Advertisements

The OP, who seems to have disappeared, did say the doctor only focuses on her weight and the parents talking to her about possible diabetes and heart disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 08:52 AM

11,281 posts, read 15,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
The OP, who seems to have disappeared, did say the doctor only focuses on her weight and the parents talking to her about possible diabetes and heart disease.
Which would be enough to push even a well-adjusted kid over the anxiety edge.

As a kid, I stress ate due to anxiety. My parents' solution to this was forcing me to test my blood sugar starting in elementary school, hemming and hawing about how my eating habits would lead to diabetes and heart disease. All it did was make me more anxious and make me eat and horde food more.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:14 PM

15,990 posts, read 15,310,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Which would be enough to push even a well-adjusted kid over the anxiety edge.

As a kid, I stress ate due to anxiety. My parents' solution to this was forcing me to test my blood sugar starting in elementary school, hemming and hawing about how my eating habits would lead to diabetes and heart disease. All it did was make me more anxious and make me eat and horde food more.
OMG! What crappy parents.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,204 times
Default Follow up!

I'm here! This has been my first experience in a forum and I was expecting an e-mail if I received any responses. So my apologize for going absent! I was reading through all of these responses, which I greatly appreciate you all taking the time to write.

For starters: She is the youngest of 4 children, all about 4 years apart. The older 3 kids have had little to none for learning struggles or social anxieties. That's part of why I'm reaching out and so worried, because this is the first time we've ever had these concerns. There has never been a traumatic event or any worry of any type of abuse at home or elsewhere. Just want to clear that up right away.

I did ask for a phone conference with her teacher and expressed how concerning this is all becoming and how worried I am about her entering middle school next year. He was much more understanding and empathetic than I figured he would be. I am now in communication with him every school day; he's agreed to send me sort of progress reports, if there were any set backs or gains and tells me what he sent with her for homework. So far, so good with the assignments being completed and turned in and her focusing more on timelines and wanting to meet homework goals. Sometimes he will send home an extra worksheet if she is struggling with a particular math topic, which certainly helps when she's feeling anxious about not understanding.

Also, the teacher brought up that there is a school psychologist (wasn't aware there was one for the school, came from a small town, all we had was a nurse to check for head lice and take our temps) about some screening for certain learning disabilities and behavior issues. We've been in brief communication so far but I have been filling our some screening forms and hope to get some feedback on that soon.

We have started seeing a new pediatrician. Within a whole different clinic system. She is overweight for her age and height. She's had one test so far to start monitoring her sugar levels. Not sure why her appetite is so big constantly, wondering if it's medically related or if its just a nervous/anxious behavior reflex. Hopefully we will get to the bottom of it in the near future. This doctor seems very knowledgeable of this topic so I am very grateful to have found her.

Again, thank you all so much for the input and advice and I am praying and hoping to a brighter and healthier future for my daughter.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:02 AM

1,584 posts, read 537,914 times
Great to get your follow up. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Don't beat yourself up about not doing it sooner or anything. Stuff didn't really start happening or was so noticeable until my son was in third grade.

A few things that helped him, whether it's appropriate for your daughter or not I don't know. He was struggling with writing, both the physical part, has poor writing and has never even done cursive and getting the idea out his head. We had him type out his answers on computer and print out. For some reason the act of writing really was a road block. He even took to writing stories on his own once he started doing that. It was quite miraculous what came out of him once the road block of handwriting was removed. It was written in his IEP that any work in class using handwriting he needs to have use of laptop and most work should be done that way, with some/few exceptions.

Math, he did OK but struggled at one point, and you really need to use a pencil and paper with your own writing sometimes. What really boosted his confidence was using a online tutorial that is totally free. Kahn Academy.com. It tracks progress and guess they even have more than just math now. From simple arithmetic up to college level mathematics.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Last edited by Izzie1213; 02-27-2018 at 12:15 AM..

Old 02-27-2018, 03:16 AM

231 posts, read 97,789 times
I am so glad to hear that things are starting to move forward in this situation. I do hope that you all continue to make great strides and progress to get past this rough patch!

Old 03-01-2018, 10:56 AM

1,858 posts, read 974,245 times
A couple of other points that you might consider. Is your daughter participating in any sports activities inside or outside the school. The spot that she enjoys might with excess weight and potentially even with overeating.

Have you considered enrolling your daughter in some after school study school, such as Kumon. Our son is going to Kumon and we are happy with the progress...

Old 03-01-2018, 06:50 PM

5,414 posts, read 8,169,134 times
Lots of good advice re: interventions.

RE: missing assignments

Does she have an assignment notebook to record her assignments? She should. Require that she fills it out everyday and ask the teacher to review it at the end of each day.

RE: moodiness

Is it possible she is entering early puberty? My niece had early onset puberty at 8 and experienced extreme moodiness as a result.

RE: diet/weight

Do not focus on her weight, but focus on healthy eating and exercise. What types of foods does she eat? How often does she eat fast food? What sports/physical activities does she do? How often does she play outside? How much media/screen time does she get?

Old 03-01-2018, 07:31 PM

511 posts, read 183,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBrookMom View Post
Looking for any advice. My 9 year old daughter has been struggling at school in 3rd and 4th grade. Its to the point that I think her teacher is hinting towards holding her back. She comes home every night and we ask what school work she has, she tells us she has nothing to do except read for 15 minutes. I get emails from her teacher almost weekly about her missing 5-10 assignments. We do what we can to make them up but I can't understand why it won't stop. When her teacher asks her why she didn't do the work, she tells him she didn't know about it or just doesn't respond. When we ask her why she didn't do it, she says she lost it. Sometimes I wonder if she isn't throwing it away.

Besides the school work issue, she also makes and loses friends daily. Always drama and always hurt feelings. Her teacher has mentioned that kids don't want to be around her because of how bossy and moody she can become. We have SO many talks to her about this. About kindness and sharing. Treating others how you want to be treated. She seems to be agreeable on what we say but doesn't give much for feedback.

She also overeats without our knowledge. Examples: sneaking food late at night, telling people she hasn't eaten when she just did, etc. Constantly saying she's hungry and asking for seconds. We have also had an unbelievable amount of discussions with her about this topic. We talk to her about future health issues, tummy aches, diabetes, heart problems. She seems agreeable here as well, but again, offers no feedback. Just shakes her head yes. I think it all falls on deaf ears and it out of her brain as soon as the discussion ends.

I have asked the school if they have any resources on any behavior classes or counseling for kids like her and I get nothing. They tell me to go to her doctor. Her doctor only seems to focus on her weight and doesn't seem to hear me when I mention the other issues. I truly don't think its an ADD related issue from the research I've done on the disorder. Any words of advice would be deeply appreciated.

Sounds to me like anxiety problems and maybe depression. Some of her assignments may be beyond what her brain can figure out. She may be outstanding in other areas. Do you look at her report cards, and is the most difficulty always in the same subjects?

One possibility could be for her to try oil made from the industrial hemp plant. It's not psychoactive, nor is it illegal. It is available on that big auction site and You Tube. Prices about $30 to $150 per oz, depending on strength. The $150 bottle is 3,000mg, the $30 bottle maybe 250-300mg. These are supposed to be a 30 day supply. Many mental problems may originate in the body. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or