U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2018, 01:03 PM
 
5 posts, read 1,889 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

Anyone else here do it? I am 43 and have a 14th month old. Already have three other children and this one was a special surprise. I did breastfeed all my others and though I certainly know how to do it all by now I have noticed it's been a bit different being a bit older, not to mention I feel as if I get some looks (yes I do breastfeed in public albeit discreetly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2018, 02:13 PM
 
4,711 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Reputation: 11298
I don't see why it would be any different? I have two close friends who had surprise babies in their 40s. One of them had her 4th at age 46. He's now 16 months old and still breastfeeding. The other had her 7th at age 45, and breastfed for almost two years. Neither of them mentioned any special problems or differences, though to be sure I never pressed for intimate details. What are you experiencing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2018, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
15,053 posts, read 14,342,914 times
Reputation: 34045
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNicole View Post
Anyone else here do it? I am 43 and have a 14th month old. Already have three other children and this one was a special surprise. I did breastfeed all my others and though I certainly know how to do it all by now I have noticed it's been a bit different being a bit older, not to mention I feel as if I get some looks (yes I do breastfeed in public albeit discreetly).
I suspect that it may just "feel" a little different because you may not have as much energy because this is your fourth child and you are (slightly) older than you were when the others were born.

Regarding "getting some looks", unless you have white hair and look closer to 63 than 43, I bet those are the same looks that you would be getting no matter what your age.

None of the moms that I know who were breastfeeding babies/toddlers when they were in their 40s mentioned any special problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2018, 03:14 AM
 
70 posts, read 82,683 times
Reputation: 42
I had my 1st child at age 38 and my 2nd at 40. Breastfed them both. With the 1st I had some issues (mastitis, clogged ducts) but learned to deal with them and had an easier time with the second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2018, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Arkansas
3,829 posts, read 1,285,810 times
Reputation: 8241
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNicole View Post
Anyone else here do it? I am 43 and have a 14th month old. Already have three other children and this one was a special surprise. I did breastfeed all my others and though I certainly know how to do it all by now I have noticed it's been a bit different being a bit older, not to mention I feel as if I get some looks (yes I do breastfeed in public albeit discreetly).
How does anyone know your age? Yes, I did BF after age 40, very discreetly using a cover but didn't get strange looks from anyone. However, I did browse around in a Children's Place clothing store w/my infant in a stroller and the woman who worked in the store demanded to know my name. She thought the children weren't mine and I'd kidnapped them in the mall from somebody else, apparently. I guess she thought I looked to old to be their mom. Ignorance is a disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2018, 12:56 AM
 
Location: 60630
11,220 posts, read 16,253,722 times
Reputation: 9938
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
How does anyone know your age? Yes, I did BF after age 40, very discreetly using a cover but didn't get strange looks from anyone. However, I did browse around in a Children's Place clothing store w/my infant in a stroller and the woman who worked in the store demanded to know my name. She thought the children weren't mine and I'd kidnapped them in the mall from somebody else, apparently. I guess she thought I looked to old to be their mom. Ignorance is a disease.


What????!
Seriously?
Ok, what did you say to her? You should have slapped her...:/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2018, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Arkansas
3,829 posts, read 1,285,810 times
Reputation: 8241
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
[/u]

What????!
Seriously?
Ok, what did you say to her? You should have slapped her...:/
I played it over & over again in my head what I would have said if I chose to make a formal complaint to the store, but she would have come out on top by justifying her actions as concern for the children. And that I could have been a kidnapper and not the parent. I should have just told the ignorant clerk "go ahead and call the police and report me, then".


Needless to say, I never went back in that store again. I shop elsewhere now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2018, 04:44 PM
 
4,711 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Reputation: 11298
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
However, I did browse around in a Children's Place clothing store w/my infant in a stroller and the woman who worked in the store demanded to know my name. She thought the children weren't mine and I'd kidnapped them in the mall from somebody else, apparently. I guess she thought I looked to old to be their mom. Ignorance is a disease.
That is beyond bizarre. In my not inconsiderable experience, anyone out in public with an infant is assumed to be in charge of that infant, whether they're "too old" to be the mother, "too young," "wrong race," or anything else. A woman who is not the baby's mom is about 100% likely to be the grandma, aunt, nanny or sitter--not at all anyone else's business unless a missing infant who matches the description of the infant in your care happened to have just been reported in that mall.

Now, my older sister was completely gray by the time she was 30. Her first son was born when she was 35, and a cashier complimented her with a big smile on her "adorable grandson." That threw her for a loop, but at least the intentions were good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2018, 05:29 PM
 
854 posts, read 592,682 times
Reputation: 2043
I breast fed all 3 of my kids, and 2 of them were after age 40. I never noticed any special attention for doing so, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2018, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Rivendell
367 posts, read 269,376 times
Reputation: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I suspect that it may just "feel" a little different because you may not have as much energy because this is your fourth child and you are (slightly) older than you were when the others were born.

Regarding "getting some looks", unless you have white hair and look closer to 63 than 43, I bet those are the same looks that you would be getting no matter what your age.

None of the moms that I know who were breastfeeding babies/toddlers when they were in their 40s mentioned any special problems.
HAHAH I had white hair start coming in at 30. My friend's sister was gray at 24. And I knew a guy who was almost bald at 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top