U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 01:30 PM

27,676 posts, read 44,824,082 times

Advertisements

Just two days before this year's Super Bowl, an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll shows that Americans are sharply divided on whether they would encourage a child who wanted to play football to choose a different sport because of growing concerns about concussions.

Read Full Article Here Poll: Parents Divided on Letting Kids Play Football | Newsmax.com

https://www.newsmax.com/us/concussio.../02/id/841172/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 04:41 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,359,930 times
I wouldn't encourage football but no one in my house watches football either. My daughters both play hockey so I doubt many people will think that's any better.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:11 PM

21,747 posts, read 29,982,578 times
I’d be more worried if a kid played pick up football than peewee or school football. At least with the latter two you have the protection of pads and a helmet and youth leagues are starting to teach how to tackle without using the crown of the head. When I played pickup football growing up in SE Virginia, I had no pads or helmet playing tackle football every day after school.

Oh yeah, I played with the kids who were big and fast enough but could not play on school teams due to grades or disciplinary actions. Yes, and the neighborhood rivalries made it even more dangerous. These were the rivalries of Northside and Southside of town to “those ______rs have no business being in our town” (remember this was SE Virginia not long after the Allen Iverson incident when he was in HS.)

I think I’d discourage football until 7th or 8th grade at least, then I present the risks to the kid and let them choose if they think it is worth the risk.

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

22,254 posts, read 55,773,525 times
Soccer is more dangerous and I let them play soccer.

I do discuss the danger with them and encourage them to take precautions, but they can choose the sports they want.

It always bothered me the crew racers never wear life jackets. The do not even have them in the boat. the oard float and the coaches bot is usually only a few feet away and hopefully paying attention, but it always made me uncomfortable. Even as an adult I still worry about him. At the end of an intense race, he cannot breathe, could not swim. He is usually hitting his inhaler desperately and/or vomiting. What if he falls out of the boat then?

All sports have risks. All parents are stuck worrying about it. If the worry is too much to handle, encourage them to do robotics or debate instead. Those are fairly safe (except when they travel - driving ont he freeway in a van or bus is more dangerous than any sport activity).

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

2,731 posts, read 876,438 times
Football is an important sport in some areas of the country, more so than soccer, baseball, basketball, etc. I don't know I guess it depends on what the child is truly interested in. If my son really wanted to play a particular sport, I wouldn't keep him from it. The only exception is probably ice hockey because it's just too expensive.

Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

9,409 posts, read 5,507,354 times
Nope. Not a chance. My son would have been good at football and living down south, lots of people pushed me to put him in it. His brain is too important. If you look at the research coming out, I am 110% I made the right call.

Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM

381 posts, read 205,689 times
My kids play hockey. I’d strongly discourage football but it’s only a hard no here now because hockey is already pushing it for me even though I love it and allow it.

Old Today, 01:05 AM

249 posts, read 79,210 times
Why do schools consider football less of a liability than things like open lunch?

Old Today, 07:38 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,547,958 times
I wouldn’t let my son play football. He’s never wanted to, so it’s never been an issue.

Old Today, 02:58 PM

11,309 posts, read 8,571,616 times
I'm not sure. I'd like to say no I wouldn't but then again, no sport is really safe. I had a female friend who played lacrosse and basketball and had multiple concussions through high school from both sports and now is messed up because of it. Maybe the risk is higher in football (I say maybe because I really don't know, nor do I care to find out at this point) but that's not to say kids can't get head injuries or other injuries playing other sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting