U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2018, 11:20 AM
 
3 posts, read 2,191 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

I am currently 17, going to be 18 in April, and my car is insured under my mom's name, however, I pay her the car insurance bill each month. My mom recently took away my phone and car for something that I did that she didn't like. Once I turn 18, I plan to move into my friends house for awhile and insure the car under my name along with my phone (which I also pay the bill for monthly), is this legal? Or would I have to buy a whole new car and new phone and register them under my name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2018, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Central, NJ
2,228 posts, read 4,626,690 times
Reputation: 2666
If your name is not on the title of the car then the owner would have to sign it over to you in order for it to be "yours". As far as car insurance you may be able to get your own policy, but you will not be paying anywhere near what you currently pay on your Mom's policy. It will be many thousands of dollars more. I think it's the same with the cell phone. You probably pay a much lower price as an added phone line on her account than you would opening your own account with a provider. Get estimates for all of these fees before deciding whether or not you can live on your own. Being a self supporting adult is a lot more expensive than just paying your parents a portion of their bill.

The friend that you're moving in with - he has his own house or apartment? Or his parents are going to let you stay in their house with them? If the latter, I would confirm those details before moving out of your Mom's house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2018, 01:16 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,560 posts, read 17,590,105 times
Reputation: 23941
It's much cheaper to stay on your mother's insurance. I hate to say it, because I know how irritating it is to have things taken away that you've paid for, but if you're not in physical danger living in your mother's house, it's better to stay in your parents' home as long as possible, at least while you're going to college. If you move out to live with a friend, it makes it much less likely that you will be able to afford college, and trying to get through life without a degree often means a never-ending financial struggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2018, 04:37 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,191 times
Reputation: 20
okay i will research more on the cost of everything before making a rash decision but I want to live with my friend and she lives with her parents and already made sure i was okay for me to stay there for a while
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2018, 04:38 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,191 times
Reputation: 20
thank you for your advice I will take it into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 04:31 PM
 
276 posts, read 241,619 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellacortes9 View Post
I am currently 17, going to be 18 in April, and my car is insured under my mom's name, however, I pay her the car insurance bill each month. My mom recently took away my phone and car for something that I did that she didn't like. Once I turn 18, I plan to move into my friends house for awhile and insure the car under my name along with my phone (which I also pay the bill for monthly), is this legal? Or would I have to buy a whole new car and new phone and register them under my name?
I would work it out with your mom and do whatever it takes to stay home especially if you're going to college in the same town. It is a privilege to live with your parents after you turn 18, not a right. Save up and ask your mom if you can buy the car from her for a reasonable price and then do it. Getting your own insurance won't be expensive if you're still living at home. If you're a guy it's usually more expensive but if you're getting good grades, you should be able to get a discount for that. There are a lot of insurance companies out there to check out. You can do a simple rate quote online. Most companies have the information available by your address so when you enter that, your car should come up.

If you just have to move out, a used car doesn't have to be expensive to be reliable. Spend $1000-1500 and you'll have a car. Get a flip phone until you can afford an upgrade.

DO NOT GO INTO DEBT FOR A CAR OR PHONE. You're young. You can work up to having the best when you can pay cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
9,433 posts, read 2,559,697 times
Reputation: 10579
Even state minimum coverage will be a few thousand dollars a year for you by yourself at 18! And the car needs to be titled to you in order to get it insured in your name. I'm assuming it's not, which means it's not your car.

Time to work things out with your parents until you can actually afford to live on your own! Part of growing up is becoming responsible. That means graduate High School, go to college, get a job/career, save and then move out. I'm sure things seem bad, but unless you're physically and mentally being abused your parents are probably just trying to make sure you don't do something stupid to screw up your life. Trust me, it might seem better to move out and act like an adult, but at 18 there's a lot you haven't experienced yet and I'd live at home as long as your parents will let you! Life is tuff and moving out at 18 with no job and no education is going to make your life hell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 10:48 PM
 
506 posts, read 221,349 times
Reputation: 656
1. You can get a limited liability no/multiple owners policy.

2. You can find your own car insurance and sign for it at 17 (at least in Colorado). I went to an aggregate business and they matched me up with, "Dairyland of Wisconsin Auto Insurance," and it was expensive - like $300 down and $150/month for minimum coverage (6 month period). But, I didn't have parents to help and needed insurance.

Then at 18 I switched to whatever companies have me the cheapest rate online, which was maybe minimum $120/month (liability was $75, brand new car at 20 had full coverage, bought in cash, was $120) until I got married...then it went down to $75, but at 25 I didn't get an additional discount.

My driving record was terrible, even had a red license, but that was 10 years ago so I'd expect to pay some the same as a better driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 10:55 PM
 
506 posts, read 221,349 times
Reputation: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
I would work it out with your mom and do whatever it takes to stay home especially if you're going to college in the same town. It is a privilege to live with your parents after you turn 18, not a right. Save up and ask your mom if you can buy the car from her for a reasonable price and then do it. Getting your own insurance won't be expensive if you're still living at home. If you're a guy it's usually more expensive but if you're getting good grades, you should be able to get a discount for that. There are a lot of insurance companies out there to check out. You can do a simple rate quote online. Most companies have the information available by your address so when you enter that, your car should come up.

If you just have to move out, a used car doesn't have to be expensive to be reliable. Spend $1000-1500 and you'll have a car. Get a flip phone until you can afford an upgrade.

DO NOT GO INTO DEBT FOR A CAR OR PHONE. You're young. You can work up to having the best when you can pay cash.
Yes! My first few cars were between $800-3000 on CL and all were very reliable or good...sold them each at 6 months to a year for about what I paid. Learned to do maintenance myself, it's a valuable skill that I've endorsed my husband to build too. Saves so much money.

I had co-workers who were buying over priced, used dealer cars for thousands of dollars, crazy high interest, and higher mileage than mine. It may be easier, butb that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2018, 11:09 PM
 
506 posts, read 221,349 times
Reputation: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Even state minimum coverage will be a few thousand dollars a year for you by yourself at 18! And the car needs to be titled to you in order to get it insured in your name. I'm assuming it's not, which means it's not your car.

Time to work things out with your parents until you can actually afford to live on your own! Part of growing up is becoming responsible. That means graduate High School, go to college, get a job/career, save and then move out. I'm sure things seem bad, but unless you're physically and mentally being abused your parents are probably just trying to make sure you don't do something stupid to screw up your life. Trust me, it might seem better to move out and act like an adult, but at 18 there's a lot you haven't experienced yet and I'd live at home as long as your parents will let you! Life is tuff and moving out at 18 with no job and no education is going to make your life hell!
I'm not sure what OP's deal is, but I moved out at 17 and found it quite alright. Living alone was like heaven, I worked full time, finished most of my degree online, didn't have debt and found a husband.

Although, my dad infamously told me on my 14th birthday, "Well, you're basically an adult now, you know my grandpa joined the army at this age....just don't get pregnant or go to jail!" So by 18, I had very little parental involvement and was used to that. Gosh, at 26 I feel very old at times.

Just saying that it doesn't have to be awful or not everyone has to take the same path to be successful or happy. I'd caution OP against moving out though until they have a full-time job, a plan for college or trade school, and a few thousand saved up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top