Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 07:51 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times

Advertisements

My daughter has been working for money since she was 15, she's 22.

When she was in high school she paid for her own phone, most of her clothing, and all of her entertainment. Since high school we've provided room and board. She's paid for everything else, including a car and university. We've chipped in here and there, and given gifts like laptops, but only at Christmas and birthday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 12:56 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
spending money while at college (which we pay for). Savings.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:15 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
As a child, any money I made I spent on my own "luxury" expenses. Car, insurance, cell phone, etc. If I wanted it, I had to pay for it. Parents just gave me the basics like shelter, food, health insurance, etc. I also managed to save some money as well

I started working around age 14, and by age 17 managed to save enough to buy a $4500 car, insure it (under my own name when I turned 18) and manage a cell phone and entertainment expenses. I also went to college and paid for 99% of that myself as well (by way of loans mostly). Upon graduation (age 23ish) I got my own apartment..again paid for by myself.

I'd like to extend that sort of mentality to my own kids because I truly think it hurts, more than helps to just hand them such things on a platter. My job is to prepare them for a tough world. If they want such luxury items like a cell phone, car, big TV, etc at age 17, 18, 19 and beyond...it's on them to start to figure out how to get the things they want vs expecting it given to them.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:28 PM

505 posts, read 502,274 times
I'm presently 24, but when I got my first job at 15, it was with the goal of purchasing my first vehicle (with some help from my parents) and paying for the subsequent insurance/gas/maintenance.

Whatever was left over went towards going out with friends, getting a new cell phone, and whatever else I wasted my money on as a teenager

I saved a little, but the bulk of my saving didn't happen until I was in college.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:21 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
I also want to add that when my daughter reaches 16 or 17 and wants to get a "real" job instead of just babysitting then we will require that she maintains her grades and a portion of her pay will need to be saved!

Old 02-16-2018, 10:27 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
My mother had me give her a fixed amount of money. It wasn't because she needed it, as it was nominal, she was teaching me a life lesson - that all my money is never my own. In life, I'll have to give a cut to someone - i.e. a landlord. She was preparing me for life on my own and the concept of no free rides. She ended up putting the money into a savings account for me and turned it over when I moved out.

I owe so much of who I am to her.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:38 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My mother had me give her a fixed amount of money. It wasn't because she needed it, as it was nominal, she was teaching me a life lesson - that all my money is never my own. In life, I'll have to give a cut to someone - i.e. a landlord. She was preparing me for life on my own and the concept of no free rides. She ended up putting the money into a savings account for me and turned it over when I moved out.

I owe so much of who I am to her.
That is so refreshing to hear. I did the same for my daughter. When she turned 18 she had quite a little nest egg. She moved out at 21 and lives with two other girls. She always has money and they never do. She is going into the navy soon.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:59 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalecriminale View Post
This is for parents who still mostly or partially support their kids. My mother always told me that there was no excuse at my age not to have a job because she knew so many parents that only paid for their kids education in college and rent but everything else, they worked for it themselves. i.e. holidays, alcohol/recreational drugs, movies, clothing etc..

I live in Ireland so they culture may be different but where you live and for you personally, what do most young adults (22 under) that still depend on their parents but work spend their money on?
For my still-dependent college student, some of her ancillary school expenses, clothing, transportation (other than going to and from school over breaks, which her father and I pay for), cell phone, holiday gifts, and entertainment expenses. I'm sure there are other categories, but those are the ones I can come up with off the top of my head. Honestly, my middle child is very frugal, so I'm fairly certain she saves most of what she earns at her summer job. My oldest child is now independent and pays all of his own expenses, and my youngest does not have a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting