U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 12:52 PM

113 posts, read 64,045 times

Advertisements

We have a son, one of four children, who is 30, and lives at home. He has a younger brother who is 14. He is a college graduate and has a great job. When he got this job he decided to live with us because it was within commuting range and he could save money by not having to pay for an apartment. We had no problem with that. He is an excellent son. No problems whatsoever. He is quiet by nature and reserved. He hangs out with his brother a lot. (We are a close knit family) At this rate, it looks like he could live with us for a long time. He does not have a girlfriend. He does not hang out with any male friends either. Am I too concerned about this? If he is content does it really matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 12:57 PM

21,033 posts, read 21,770,072 times
Is your concern his happiness in general or are you fearful he'll never leave?

Have you spoken to him about it?

Old 02-10-2018, 01:26 PM

15,977 posts, read 15,293,653 times
Have you ever asked him if was "content" with the status quo?

Is this something new? Or, did he have male friends that he hung around with during HS and college? Did he date in HS and college?

I know a brother and sister who are in their early 70s who are still living at home (their parents died years ago) in their childhood bedrooms. Both were self employed in the family business (farm) but it wasn't until recently (the last 15 years) that I heard them express regrets that they never went out very much and had friends or dated or got married. Their sister died about 15 years ago and I think that they realized that they were all alone in the world, no spouses or children, no nieces or nephews, no/few friends and even the cousins that were about their age were/are starting to pass away.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Is your concern his happiness in general or are you fearful he'll never leave?

Have you spoken to him about it?
I am concerned for his happiness. He could live with us forever but eventually we will be gone. I guess he would have to move on by that time.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Have you ever asked him if was "content" with the status quo?

Is this something new? Or, did he have male friends that he hung around with during HS and college? Did he date in HS and college?

I know a brother and sister who are in their early 70s who are still living at home (their parents died years ago) in their childhood bedrooms. Both were self employed in the family business (farm) but it wasn't until recently (the last 15 years) that I heard them express regrets that they never went out very much and had friends or dated or got married. Their sister died about 15 years ago and I think that they realized that they were all alone in the world, no spouses or children, no nieces or nephews, no/few friends and even the cousins that were about their age were/are starting to pass away.
I will ask him straight out if he is content. He has always been quiet. He had a few friends when he was younger and has never had a girlfriend.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:31 PM

10,081 posts, read 6,277,830 times
I think for most people, not dating by the time they are 30 is a red flag and that they aren't content. Of course, there are people who prefer that...most don't and its very lonely for them, I think.

But I don't know what you can really do to give help with that without crossing a line.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:02 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,040,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
I will ask him straight out if he is content. He has always been quiet. He had a few friends when he was younger and has never had a girlfriend.
He may be content, but is that really all you want for him? At 30 unless hes in school or saving for his own place, he should be out on his own. Staying at home makes it easier for him to not engage with people his own age and make friends. Do you see him living at home at 40 or 50 as healthy? If not, you may have to give him love, support and a big push out the door.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:28 PM

442 posts, read 187,527 times
Quote:
I am concerned for his happiness. He could live with us forever but eventually we will be gone. I guess he would have to move on by that time.
Not necessarily. He would inherit your home (if you own it).

Old 02-10-2018, 04:57 PM

7,133 posts, read 9,307,086 times
He is far better content and living with you than married and divorced because he had not found the one to marry. I would be more concerned that he seems to be friendless than the fact that he is at home.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:00 PM

15,977 posts, read 15,293,653 times
Quote:
Do you know if he had friends or dated while he was in college? Some college students will date and never bring home someone to meet the parents unless they are very serious or have proposed to them. Are there people his age at his job? Maybe he is social there. He is 30 now, how many years ago did he move home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or