U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 07:45 AM

16,396 posts, read 15,732,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Both of my children had birthday parties when they were four and five years old and the parents dropped their children off. They were also invited to birthday parties when they were four and five years old and we dropped them off. I should point out that these were all small parties and we knew the parents, and they knew us, from play dates or school activities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This is not about kids being dropped off, though. It's about parents bringing the invited child's uninvited siblings to the party.
Yes, I know. I was responding to the poster who said that under age 7/8 (in their circle) the whole family stayed at birthday parties, including the siblings.

I was just pointing out that it never happened to our children.

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-11-2018 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 08:42 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,009,407 times
Quote:
Yes, I know. I was responding to the poster who said that under age 7/8 (in their circle) the whole family stayed at birthday parties, including the siblings.

Right, that's just what seems to be the norm where I live. I know those things differ by area.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:41 AM

6,110 posts, read 2,205,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

When they were in grade school they had many mutual friends & youd be surprised how many times people thought they were inviting both of them by giving out just one invitation, so I could never assume either way..
To me, it is not a big deal if the siblings are close in age. But this is an issue with a 10 year old whose 5 year old sibling is attending parties with her. Parents drop both kids off. 5 year olds really don't have much in common with 10 year olds. It's not a good mix. It is also a deliberate grab for free childcare while the parents run errands or do other things for a couple of hours.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:53 AM
Status: "one of the wettest from the standpoint of water" (set 13 days ago)

18,797 posts, read 9,852,566 times
my experience has been that people will ask to bring a sibling if they have a baby sitter issue, and it's not a drop off party. I've never heard of someone dropping off toddlers at all, let alone toddlers that were not even invited to the party.

People are generally polite about it, call to ask if it's ok, and if it's at a venue, offer to pay the extra admission for a sibling. I've accommodated siblings, and not taken money even when at a party venue because there have usually been enough no-shows that I was still within the amount of kids I had paid for.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:47 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,281,824 times
Because they're rude.

Even if the party is in say, Chuck-E-Cheese. Just because you think you can pay for your extra kid's stuff doesn't mean it's not a PAIN for we parents to have to have your kids there and making the event more crazy.

And completely disrespectful of the birthday KID.

If he WANTED them there, they would have been invited.

Part two of the question:

Are they bringing gifts from these extra kids? Probably 50 cent ones LOL.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:02 PM

84,749 posts, read 98,364,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I had to get used to clarifying when Id call to rsvp for anything one of my 2nd set of twins were invited to.

When they were in grade school they had many mutual friends & youd be surprised how many times people thought they were inviting both of them by giving out just one invitation, so I could never assume either way.

Id rather call & clarify; although its sort of awkward, than guess & have people think Im rude.
As far as awkwardness, I learned to say, "I'm going to ask you an indelicate question". It covers all situations.

Quote:

Never happened with mine either, nor any of their friends. We let our other daughter invite a friend to her sister's parties, especially when we went somewhere, e.g. restaurant, roller rink, whatever. They had a sort of "mutual" friend in the back yard neighbor kid, who was more the younger one's age. We called her the "honorary cousin" at my older DD's parties. One time, we had an extra ticket to a kids' play for some reason, so we let the neighbor kid bring her brother too.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:13 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,009,407 times
I wouldn’t care if someone brought a sibling to Chuck E. Cheese... as long as the parent stayed. It’s a public place, so it’s going to be crowded and crazy anyway, but I wouldn’t want to be responsible for watching a younger child.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:27 PM

10,838 posts, read 18,680,416 times
Quote:
To me, it is not a big deal if the siblings are close in age. But this is an issue with a 10 year old whose 5 year old sibling is attending parties with her. Parents drop both kids off. 5 year olds really don't have much in common with 10 year olds. It's not a good mix. It is also a deliberate grab for free childcare while the parents run errands or do other things for a couple of hours.
We quit inviting the families who did that. Some would do that for playdates too, send their 3 year old along with the 11 year old. I don't have toddlers, my house is not childproofed because I have no intention of running a daycare, free or otherwise.

I think some families are used to the older siblings being childcare for the younger siblings and can't imagine actually having to watch those younger kids themselves while the older sibling goes to a party.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:32 PM

2,333 posts, read 994,271 times
Quote:
My daughter had 3 siblings show up at her party. The parents just dropped off the kids and left, like it was free childcare for a couple of hours. The siblings were much younger than the other kids and one of them was a toddler and cried the whole time. My daughter went to another b-day party this week and the same thing happened to the parents who hosted the party: younger siblings dropped off, parents walked out real fast.

So for my child's b-day next year, instead of a party, we're going to do something alternative. I'm thinking maybe she can take a friend to a movie place to get their nails/hair done, then dinner.

wow, that's just SO rude of them

Old 02-11-2018, 01:10 PM

6,110 posts, read 2,205,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
We quit inviting the families who did that. Some would do that for playdates too, send their 3 year old along with the 11 year old. I don't have toddlers, my house is not childproofed because I have no intention of running a daycare, free or otherwise.

I think some families are used to the older siblings being childcare for the younger siblings and can't imagine actually having to watch those younger kids themselves while the older sibling goes to a party.
We're going to stop inviting one kid, whose parents always drop off the 5 year old sibling along with her. I don't want to make an avenue for that rudeness anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or