Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:47 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,961 times

Advertisements

People do it because they are rude, thoughtless, selfish, and frankly don't care if you are inconvenienced while they have child-free time. What bugs me is when you have a party that costs per child and a parent pulls the "drop the other kid off" and not only do you have to watch that kid, but you also owe another $20 for the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 01:56 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
People do it because they are rude, thoughtless, selfish, and frankly don't care if you are inconvenienced while they have child-free time. What bugs me is when you have a party that costs per child and a parent pulls the "drop the other kid off" and not only do you have to watch that kid, but you also owe another $20 for the party.

I am one of those mothers who would have politely refused the other children , or called the parent up and asked them to pick up their child/ren or had my husband drop them right back home. I did that once when a mother brought her three younger siblings of my son's friend who came over to play. I walked them right back up the street and made sure she opened the door to receive her kids.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
We're going to stop inviting one kid, whose parents always drop off the 5 year old sibling along with her. I don't want to make an avenue for that rudeness anymore.
A suggestion-if it's real important to your kid that this child attend, put "no siblings please" on the invitation.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:31 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Wow...that is rude.

When my kids were little, all our parties parents stayed. I would make sure to add in the invite siblings were welcome so I didn't put them in the spot of having to try to find a sitter. So bringing siblings was common...but the parents stayed and watched their own kids.

Now that they are older...I cant imagine someone dropping off an uninvited kid. When going through guest lists I do ask my kids if they know any siblings (in one case one had a twin in another class) so I can invite any sibling that would *actually* feel left out. (In the case of the twin, the parents thanked me but said they look forward to one on one time and use things like parties to have special time with the other twin).

I don't even know...that just seems like a level of rudeness I haven't come across. I might have been running after the car "Hey lady, you forgot your kid!!!"

Old 02-11-2018, 02:49 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
A suggestion-if it's real important to your kid that this child attend, put "no siblings please" on the invitation.
That's a good idea. Hopefully they would read that and abide by those terms.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:49 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
That's a good idea. Hopefully they would read that and abide by those terms.
I find that the people who need a clue somehow always think that even a blunt statement doesn't apply to them. Oh, she doesn't mean us, we've always brought Younger Sibling and she loves to have him there.

I think not inviting the sibling is the only way to guarantee the thoughtless parents won't continue to be thoughtless. But I suppose it's worth a shot if your child wants to keep their friendship with the older kid.

But I remain amazed at what some people think is ok to do.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
My daughter had 3 siblings show up at her party. The parents just dropped off the kids and left, like it was free childcare for a couple of hours. The siblings were much younger than the other kids and one of them was a toddler and cried the whole time. My daughter went to another b-day party this week and the same thing happened to the parents who hosted the party: younger siblings dropped off, parents walked out real fast.

So for my child's b-day next year, instead of a party, we're going to do something alternative. I'm thinking maybe she can take a friend to a movie place to get their nails/hair done, then dinner.
Yes, that's rude.

I had that happen only once that I can remember, but the mom was very nice, and contacted me ahead of time. She was the only parent available, and would have to bring the 2nd kid, or not bring either of them.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:23 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
We're going to stop inviting one kid, whose parents always drop off the 5 year old sibling along with her. I don't want to make an avenue for that rudeness anymore.
Have you actually told the parent "Mary wants to do 10 year old activities with your daughter Susie. Please do not leave your five year old." If yes, what did they say?

Old 02-11-2018, 10:08 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Why do some parents bring other siblings to a b-day party when only one sibling was invited? I thought this was bad manners.
You'd probably have to ask the other parents. I have no idea

Old 02-11-2018, 10:52 PM

658 posts, read 721,307 times
When we did parties we invited the main kids but if we also knew the family well and the other sibling was also a friend then that was fine. No problem with that. It's the RSVPing that made me very upset because so many parents don't even have the courtesy to let you know they won't be there. So you're preparing for the just in case scenario and then don't know who actually will show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting