U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 01:23 PM

683 posts, read 554,112 times

Advertisements

I have 2 daughters who are one grade apart and they share a handful of the same friends so those particular girls come to each of their parties. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to host kids and parents whom I don't know: i.e. if all I hear of your child is their name/basic info from my kid and that child has never had a play date with my kid, guess what? You ain't invited to my house. There is no way I am going to host basic strangers at my house and I could care less that our kids are in the same class.

As for the dropping extra siblings off thing? Absolutely NOT okay by any means. Make sure you or your husband are there greeting every single kid at the door and if anyone tries that tactic, march those extra sibs right back at outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 01:38 PM

15,065 posts, read 14,372,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
(snip)

As for the dropping extra siblings off thing? Absolutely NOT okay by any means. Make sure you or your husband are there greeting every single kid at the door and if anyone tries that tactic, march those extra sibs right back at outside.
I agree. How does the extra sibling even get inside the house?

Old 02-12-2018, 01:56 PM

10,564 posts, read 17,616,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. How does the extra sibling even get inside the house?
The ones who did that at my kids' parties dropped their kids off at the curb. By the time you realize there's an extra kid, the parent has already taken off.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:49 PM

607 posts, read 138,296 times
It IS bad manners. Unless they are specifically invited, siblings should not be tagging along. So rude.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:03 PM

9,478 posts, read 2,580,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
My daughter had 3 siblings show up at her party. The parents just dropped off the kids and left, like it was free childcare for a couple of hours. The siblings were much younger than the other kids and one of them was a toddler and cried the whole time. My daughter went to another b-day party this week and the same thing happened to the parents who hosted the party: younger siblings dropped off, parents walked out real fast.

So for my child's b-day next year, instead of a party, we're going to do something alternative. I'm thinking maybe she can take a friend to a movie place to get their nails/hair done, then dinner.

That's just plain rude and I probably would have said something!

Depending on the ages some parents stay and some drop off. I always tried to just drop off but when my kids were little I sometimes had to stay because my child wanted me too. Sometimes (rare occasions) I had to bring her younger sister with also due to not having anyone to watch them, but I never let the sibling participate in the party activities. If it was at a venue we'd go do our own thing.

I've had a few parents do the same and if I had enough goody bags and cake or if someone didn't show up I would let the siblings participate also. But it's rude to just assume they can join in! Especially if it's at a venue where you have to pay per child. And just dropping off a sibling is also utter nonsense! When the kids were little I actually gave the option of dropping off or staying, but when they were under 5 I asked the parents to stay if it was at a venue because I'm only one person and can only watch so many children at once, even if my DH was there!

Old 02-12-2018, 03:16 PM

9,797 posts, read 5,858,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
I have 2 daughters who are one grade apart and they share a handful of the same friends so those particular girls come to each of their parties. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to host kids and parents whom I don't know: i.e. if all I hear of your child is their name/basic info from my kid and that child has never had a play date with my kid, guess what? You ain't invited to my house. There is no way I am going to host basic strangers at my house and I could care less that our kids are in the same class.

Man, you missed out. I met nearly every girl from my daughter's class at her birthday party. We were new to the school so no one knew us besides one other mom. Having all those girls over helped me get to know my daughter's friends (so important!) and meet the parents. The kids love me, so its been great to get to say hi to the kids when I see them. And since my daughter knows I know all the girls in her class, she tells me much more about what is going on in her life as it relates to her friends.

Basically, that is a really insulated way to think. New kids will never get to know anyone. Midwest?

Old 02-12-2018, 05:49 PM

347 posts, read 108,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Why do some parents bring other siblings to a b-day party when only one sibling was invited? I thought this was bad manners.
Knowing the parents might not have someone to stay with the sibling, I usually invite siblings if they are close in age and know my children. Our children are still at the age where the parents stay at the party. I don't think anyone has ever brought a sibling uninvited which is a bit rude if the party is outside the house with a cost per child. Generally, I wouldn't mind though.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:14 PM

3,981 posts, read 1,656,705 times
My g daughters party ( she turns five soon!)will contain many siblings
Cousins and the neighborhood kids. It's always a delight to see them. It's rude to exclude I say . But then I come from a large family so one or even five more was not frowned upon.
I can though see if budget or the kids simply do not get along..it would be wise to address.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:40 PM

15,065 posts, read 14,372,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
My g daughters party ( she turns five soon!)will contain many siblings
Cousins and the neighborhood kids. It's always a delight to see them. It's rude to exclude I say . But then I come from a large family so one or even five more was not frowned upon.
I can though see if budget or the kids simply do not get along..it would be wise to address.
But, these are invited guests. It isn't like the parents are dropping off two extra kids on the sidewalk and driving away before anyone can stop them.

I still can't stop thinking about the parent who dropped an (uninvited) two year old off at the birthday party that their ten year old sibling was invited to attend and the toddler cried the entire time. That was not fair to the two year old, the ten year old, the parents of the child having the birthday and all of the invited party guests. Who did those rude parents think was going to supervise their toddler?

Old 02-13-2018, 08:10 AM

2,232 posts, read 4,630,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

Basically, that is a really insulated way to think. New kids will never get to know anyone. Midwest?
From my experience could be central NJ as well. Why include when it's just so much fun to exclude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or