U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 09:05 PM

2,785 posts, read 898,237 times

Advertisements

Why do some parents bring other siblings to a b-day party when only one sibling was invited? I thought this was bad manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 09:07 PM

14,481 posts, read 13,758,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Why do some parents bring other siblings to a b-day party when only one sibling was invited? I thought this was bad manners.
In my crowd it was always considered bad manners and never happened to my children.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:16 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,555,554 times
Depends on the circle of friends, I’m sure, as well as the age of the child. For a bday party for a four year old, most parents aren’t going to drop their child off and might need to bring along other small children. I wouldn’t expect anyone to hire a babysitter to watch a two year old or a six year old because the other child in the family was invited to a birthday party. I don’t think my very young children were ever invited to parties that were not family parties.

Age 7/8 and up, if the kids are being dropped off, then I agree that it’s rude.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In my crowd it was always considered bad manners and never happened to my children.
My daughter had 3 siblings show up at her party. The parents just dropped off the kids and left, like it was free childcare for a couple of hours. The siblings were much younger than the other kids and one of them was a toddler and cried the whole time. My daughter went to another b-day party this week and the same thing happened to the parents who hosted the party: younger siblings dropped off, parents walked out real fast.

So for my child's b-day next year, instead of a party, we're going to do something alternative. I'm thinking maybe she can take a friend to a movie place to get their nails/hair done, then dinner.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:18 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,555,554 times
Oh jeez, yes, that was definitely out of line!!

Old 02-10-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
My daughter had 3 siblings show up at her party. The parents just dropped off the kids and left, like it was free childcare for a couple of hours. The siblings were much younger than the other kids and one of them was a toddler and cried the whole time. My daughter went to another b-day party this week and the same thing happened to the parents who hosted the party: younger siblings dropped off, parents walked out real fast.
(snip).
Sheesh, I would have called the parents and told them to come back immediately to pick up the two extra children that they "accidently" forgot at my house.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:43 PM

12,569 posts, read 18,561,247 times
Quote:

So for my child's b-day next year, instead of a party, we're going to do something alternative. I'm thinking maybe she can take a friend to a movie place to get their nails/hair done, then dinner.
Of course its out of line, but how does that even happen? If a parent tried that with me they wouldn't make it out the door. I would firmly let them know the siblings were not included, nor was I prepared to watch them while supervising a party. Did they not walk the children in? I'd call them back, immediately.

I have had younger siblings attend parties held for my kids up to age 5 or 6, but the mothers also stayed, and I was fine with that.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Depends on the circle of friends, Iím sure, as well as the age of the child. For a bday party for a four year old, most parents arenít going to drop their child off and might need to bring along other small children. I wouldnít expect anyone to hire a babysitter to watch a two year old or a six year old because the other child in the family was invited to a birthday party. I donít think my very young children were ever invited to parties that were not family parties.

Age 7/8 and up, if the kids are being dropped off, then I agree that itís rude.
Both of my children had birthday parties when they were four and five years old and the parents dropped their children off. They were also invited to birthday parties when they were four and five years old and we dropped them off. I should point out that these were all small parties and we knew the parents, and they knew us, from play dates or school activities.

Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Both of my children had birthday parties when they were four and five years old and the parents dropped their children off. They were also invited to birthday parties when they were four and five years old and we dropped them off. I should point out that these were all small parties and we knew the parents, and they knew us, from play dates or school activities.
This is not about kids being dropped off, though. It's about parents bringing the invited child's uninvited siblings to the party.

Old Yesterday, 01:47 AM

3,031 posts, read 1,227,873 times
I had to get used to clarifying when Iíd call to rsvp for anything one of my 2nd set of twins were invited to.

When they were in grade school they had many mutual friends & youíd be surprised how many times people thought they were inviting both of them by giving out just one invitation, so I could never assume either way.

Iíd rather call & clarify; although itís sort of awkward, than guess & have people think Iím rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting