U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 06:09 PM

1,580 posts, read 864,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
How to clean? How to pack a lunch? How to say thank you?????????

Come on, give me a break

Op-just those videos you refer to appear to be made in the 50's. People had to be taught back then the same skills...as not all families were homogeneous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 06:46 PM

436 posts, read 154,496 times
Not going to lie, I'm 39 and I use YouTube all the time to look up "how to" videos. I'm not helpless at adulting, but I often learn new, easier ways of doing things through tutorials.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:29 PM

9,474 posts, read 5,561,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Not going to lie, I'm 39 and I use YouTube all the time to look up "how to" videos. I'm not helpless at adulting, but I often learn new, easier ways of doing things through tutorials.
ditto

Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 PM

2,762 posts, read 2,410,700 times
My kids know how to do things I don't. I've never taught them to do some things I know because they have different lifestyles than I had at their age. I have taught them how to learn and figure out what they want. If it becomes important to them they will figure out a way.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:50 PM

5,965 posts, read 4,563,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Who failed? Maybe the younger gen is just trying to do better then before...or maybe things are changing...or maybe the car hood is different then before...or they want to do it different then they were taught.

I mean, how is watching a video on how to buy a car any different then reading a mag article? Or visiting the library?

To me it just seems like young...and old people using online resources to have a better outcome with an upcoming project.
I'm older than 70. I use Youtube and Google to help me with detailed stiff like Rifle and gun cleaning.

I posted this because of the inane topics

Old 02-13-2018, 08:32 PM

4,966 posts, read 6,303,702 times
Frankly I see this as another opportunity to bash Millenials and their parents. Right now I have on my book shelf a book published in the 1930's or 40's. I bought it years ago at a flea market because it was funny. Guess what the topics are? How to host a dinner party, packing lunch, etc. etc.

The difference is not in the content. The difference is in the methods of transmitting that content. Really, the videos are no different than some click bait on Yahoo or FB or any other site.

Last edited by rrah; 02-13-2018 at 09:52 PM..

Old 02-14-2018, 06:36 AM

10,876 posts, read 5,515,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Who failed? Maybe the younger gen is just trying to do better then before...or maybe things are changing...or maybe the car hood is different then before...or they want to do it different then they were taught.

I mean, how is watching a video on how to buy a car any different then reading a mag article? Or visiting the library?

To me it just seems like young...and old people using online resources to have a better outcome with an upcoming project.
It's not really different...what is different is the kind of topics people are getting help with...really? - how to pack a lunch? How to say thank you? Waaaaaaay basic stuff you should know let's see, in middle school or even kindergarten (for saying thank you).

Old 02-14-2018, 08:48 AM

619 posts, read 270,896 times
Back a couple of decades, people would actually buy etiquette books for graduation gifts. This is no different. If you don't know how to do something, you find a source to tell you. My kids are 13 & 17, and I have heard, "I watched a video" many times when I'm asking if they need help with something. I think it's smart.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:00 AM

22,110 posts, read 20,865,213 times
Has the OP considered that these videos are largely aimed at adults who are in college or newly graduated and are beginning to live independently for the first time? Or teenagers who are approaching adulthood? People learn by seeing and doing.

As for the topics - some of them do appear inane on the surface but might be legitimate questions when you look at the context. For example, how to clean - some people might want to know what products to use, and which products to avoid for certain surfaces.

Anyway, I'm 30 - there are plenty of things I couldn't do because I have never needed to do them, and I can just pay someone else to do them if I'm really bothered.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 02-14-2018 at 09:11 AM..

Old 02-14-2018, 09:42 AM

1,885 posts, read 1,377,357 times
Oh look, another "My generation is better than your generation" thread .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting