Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,783,841 times

Advertisements

We've talked about trampolines before but this is a new statement from American Academy of Pediatrics which hopefully keep more people from getting hurt. i won't let my kids jump on any of the 4 trampolines on our street.

Report Warns of Trampoline Dangers - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 AM

523 posts, read 3,797,337 times
i guess it depends on what level of risk you are comfortable with, as any activity carries some degree of risk.

my kids love trampolines, and we have one at home - im more than happy for them to use it under adult (my wife or my) supervision. im not so happy with them using trampolines away from home (unless its at school, with appropriate supervision).

i wouldnt want to deprive them entirely of the experience due to the risk of injury.

equally, im very happy for them to learn to play on climbing walls, ride bikes, ski and so on, so long as i can be reasonably certain that they are being appropriately taught and supervised, until such time as they are old enough to do so by themselves.

i do think there is a rather prevalent attitude of not allowing kids today to engage in any activity that carries anything more than an absolutely minimal risk of injury - i love my kids to bits, and hate when they hurt themselves, but i do think that a child who is never injured is either exceptionally lucky, or simply not living.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,566,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
i won't let my kids jump on any of the 4 trampolines on our street.
... at least not when you are watching ...

Old 09-24-2012, 08:53 AM

567 posts, read 1,008,073 times
I had one as a kid and we jumped on it until it was worn completely out and we eventually fell through it one day. After all those years, did anyone ever get hurt? Sprained ankle maybe. Did we have fun? Hell yes.

Whats next to be considered dangerous? Bicycles and tree houses? You can get hurt doing just about anything outside. That is if today's kid's can get off their cell phone or game console long enough.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,123,338 times
I think attempting to avoid all injury is a mistake. I can see wanting to avoid say a neck injury and not allowing loop de loops. But a twisted ankle? That is just the cost of doing business as a kid. The AAP cannot recommend based on that. They need to be injury preventaion fanatics. But parents don't.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 AM

4,043 posts, read 7,406,452 times
We were just thinking to buy one for our kids, one of whom is ADHD and a major fidgeter.
I heard trampolines have even been used for therapy, to help such kids...well...get tired and get their wiggles out.

And now this. Talk about disincentive...

Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,413,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We've talked about trampolines before but this is a new statement from American Academy of Pediatrics which hopefully keep more people from getting hurt. i won't let my kids jump on any of the 4 trampolines on our street.

Report Warns of Trampoline Dangers - ABC News
I am inclined to agree with you on this one. There are certain things you do that the risk outweighs the benefits.. . I'm thinking the same way about football too (American) and owning a swimming pool.

Though it does look like you can reduce the risk of injury by about 75% via one simple rule - one person at a time per trampoline (indoor or outdoor park)

Most injuries are people slamming into each other/falling on each other/ on the trampoline itself. . .not falling off.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:56 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,413,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I had one as a kid and we jumped on it until it was worn completely out and we eventually fell through it one day. After all those years, did anyone ever get hurt? Sprained ankle maybe. Did we have fun? Hell yes.

Whats next to be considered dangerous? Bicycles and tree houses? You can get hurt doing just about anything outside. That is if today's kid's can get off their cell phone or game console long enough.
Your story is just as about as meaningful as the guy who never wore a helmet and never got hurt, the woman who smoked for 70 years without lung cancer, and the family who never wore a seatbelt and never got injured.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 AM

567 posts, read 1,008,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Your story is just as about as meaningful as the guy who never wore a helmet and never got hurt, the woman who smoked for 70 years without lung cancer, and the family who never wore a seatbelt and never got injured.
People die with seat belts on. People get lung cancer when they have never smoked.

Banning something because of a possibility of injury is ridiculous. Teach your kids to be responsible while having fun. Do you bubble wrap your children before they go outside?

What about these kids getting blood clots and dying from playing a game for 48hrs straight? I would be more worried about that.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,191,561 times
Hi no kudzu, I've always been kinda concerned about the kids jumping on trampolines too....the article shows kids on a tramp with no netting around, I think that if there was the net around the tramp I wouldn't have a problem with my kids using it...but not without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting